got ethical husbandry?

DBTC: Walt Disney

@dochou

yes you were the chosen one, hence why i mention you healing at 350 par as per our PM and announced it on 3/6.

a few things occurred before the pick up march 15th week. I will break it down for you for why you were not chosen afterwards.

you added yourself to barcode 3/3 - didnt like the getting in line idea, but i let slide since it was a new program we are using.
you lost a green tenuis on 3/10 - https://www.bareefers.org/forum/threads/kris’s-green-tenuis.27133/page-2
you added yourself @ofzakaria WD on 3/13.
you added yourself to mainly higher end frags recently from @ofzakaria dtbc same week - which are all harder to keep sps
you updated your journal 3/15, which i appreciate, but the sps you have currently is no where the complexity of the sps you are in line for.

I have more reasons too, but I won't mention them.

any BOD think i am out of line, then let me know and delete my post - I just don't care anymore. I am only stating the facts on why candidates are not chosen. Yes, this could be made through PM, but why bother with it. I am not here to offend anyone nor wreck havoc on the dtbc system, just stating my opinions. I just want survivabilty of my sps within the dtbc so I can contribute more. just think of it, who is crazy enough to dtbc a walt disney besides @ofzakaria?

If you are not chosen, so be it.

I already lost a rmf lucky charms ($250), tsa starscream ($350), tsa sin city ($250), tsa arcolandia ($450), tsa super mario ($400) and on a verge on loosing a tsa bubbleyum ($400). Even with my stable parameters, a sps can just rtn one night. just think how i would feel if i loose a rrc rainbow splice ($750)? what have you lost? I am not here to give out free high end corals for people to try and see if they can grow it. i was going to DBTC my rr lady in pink, but i changed my mind (i have frags for specific bar members to pass out already). everyone knows their tank and knows what they can do and not do. I am here to reserve my corals in case my dastaco c2 reactor craps out and shoots my alk to 12 dkh - which almost happened and the highest was 9.4 dkh. if this dtbc program isnt going to work for me, i might as well start selling my corals.

wd - $60/frag
rr lady in pink - $60/frag
rmf acid trip - $60/frag
asd rainbow milli - $60/frag
arc fireworks - $60/frag
tsa bill murray - $60/frag

in other words - i enjoy the DTBC program that is going on, but to me, is not meant for higher end sps... with that note, good night BAR.

-john
I think there is room for both selling and dbtc. I def do both. I didn’t used to sell, but someone suggested I do since people don’t always want to take part in dbtc and would rather buy something. I’ve not given out many high end things, so a little different.
I would certainly like to buy some stuff from you sometime.

Reactions: JVU
I’m the sort of person who would rather buy or trade for a frag than get it with strings attached usually. I think DBTC is great and am fully supportive; it’s just my personality that for myself I like transactions to be clean and zero drama. Different strokes for different folks.

@jhuynh If you are serious about selling frags let me know. I’d have to make space...

i have one more frag i am passing out. once its passed on sunday, my DTBC WD is closed.
FYI, you don't have to introduce more frags into it, you can throw one frag into a DBTC and it is up to everyone else to continue on the chain. So no need to "close" it. Your generosity got it kick started now it's up to everyone else to make it work, it's not your problem if it doesn't.

yes you were the chosen one, hence why i mention you healing at 350 par as per our PM and announced it on 3/6.

a few things occurred before the pick up march 15th week. I will break it down for you for why you were not chosen afterwards.

you added yourself to barcode 3/3 - didnt like the getting in line idea, but i let slide since it was a new program we are using. I have no idea what you are infering to here. I thought we were supposed to use Barcode. No? @jhuynh, can you explain so I don't piss someone else off?
you lost a green tenuis on 3/10 - https://www.bareefers.org/forum/threads/kris’s-green-tenuis.27133/page-2 Yes I did. But the piece I received was not 100% healed and so the health of that frag was in question when I got it. I just didn't want to mention it on the thread and to blame someone. The 2nd piece I got is growing like weed now. But whatever, it's your DBTC rules and you can do what you want. I just want to be clear on my end.
you added yourself @ofzakaria WD on 3/13. Yes I did. I wasn't clear that I would get a frag from you because your posts here were cryptic. I really find your communication style difficult to understand. I also PM'd you on 3/15 and 3/18 and got no response so I figured I may not get a frag from you. You also were so pissed off at the beginning that it seemed like any thing could change your mind, so I decided to look elsewhere. When @ofzakaria asked me whether I was going to get a WD frag from you, I said i didn't know. But decided to take my name off his list just in case you were going to come through. Maybe I should have left my name on his list and took my name off of yours.
you added yourself to mainly higher end frags recently from @ofzakaria dtbc same week - which are all harder to keep sps. Yes I did because I already have well established mini colonies or frags of all the other sps on DBTC that I'm interested in. I have DO have some harder to keep SPS such as a sunset millie and others. It wasn't mentioned in my tank journal because you didn't ask me to list all my corals in my tank journal. You should have just gotten to the point and asked me for a list of all the corals I'm growing now and how many and what kind of corals I've killed over the past 5 years. That's what it seems like you're after.
you updated your journal 3/15, which i appreciate, but the sps you have currently is no where the complexity of the sps you're in line for. How do you know that? You just made an assumption. Harder to grow SPS weren't mentioned in my tank journal because you didn't ask me to list all my corals in my tank journal. You should have just gotten to the point and asked me for a list of all the corals I'm growing now and how many and what kind of corals I've killed over the past 5 years. That's what is seems like you're after.

I have more reasons too, but I won't mention them. Oh please go on, mention them. Your on a roll!

any BOD think i am out of line
, then let me know and delete my post - I just don't care anymore. I am only stating the facts on why candidates are not chosen. Yes, this could be made through PM, but why bother with it. So you're not such a dick. I am not here to offend anyone (Well you did offended me) nor wreck havoc on the dtbc system, just stating my opinions. You can do this without singling me out. I just want survivabilty of my sps within the dtbc so I can contribute more. just think of it, who is crazy enough to dtbc a walt disney besides @ofzakaria? That's not the issue in my case. I just take offence at how you handled the situation.

If you are not chosen, so be it. Yeah I agree, no skin of my nose. Just be clear if you intend to give someone a frag or not. And if you want to qualify it with all the things that I shouldn't have done, then be clear about that at the onset. Like I said, it's hard to understand the way you write.

I already lost a rmf lucky charms ($250), tsa starscream ($350), tsa sin city ($250), tsa arcolandia ($450), tsa super mario ($400) and on a verge on loosing a tsa bubbleyum ($400). What does you killing your own expensive frags have to do with anything? You keep mentioning how much money you spend, but this attitude leaves a bad taste to the whole DBTC endeavor. Even with my stable parameters, a sps can just rtn one night. Yep, so anyone you give a frag to, can end up losing it. just think how i would feel if i loose a rrc rainbow splice ($750)? what have you lost? I am not here to give out free high end corals for people to try and see if they can grow it. Actually that is exactly what you are doing when participating in DBTC. If you feel so strongly about purely banking your expensive corals in case of a crash, then maybe you can start a 2nd tank to have duplicate corals. That way you won't need to give out free frags to bank. You will never be able to insure that the frag you gave away will live forever. i was going to DBTC my rr lady in pink, but i changed my mind (i have frags for specific bar members to pass out already). everyone knows their tank and knows what they can do and not do. I totally disagree with this statement; that's what makes this hobby a challenge. If every one stuck to what they knew they definitively could grow, then we'd all be raising only GSP. There's always a slow gradual progression on what I take on. I didn't go from softies to high end SPS all at once. I definitely feel a WD is not the hardest coral to keep alive and I'm able to take this on. I am here to reserve my corals in case my dastaco c2 reactor craps out and shoots my alk to 12 dkh - Just as you're saying here: no one is perfect and it's possible that your frag will be lost no matter how hard you try to vet the "lucky" victim to recieve your frag. which almost happened and the highest was 9.4 dkh. if this dtbc program isnt going to work for me, i might as well start selling my corals.

wd - $60/frag
rmf acid trip - $60/frag
arc fireworks - $60/frag

in other words - i enjoy the DTBC program that is going on, but to me, is not meant for higher end sps... Then why are you even adding your "high end sps" now? with that note, good night BAR. In my opionion you're getting way to attached to your frags and the fact that you find them expensive makes it worse. I think this program is all about generosity. If your heart is not about givng then don't do it. If you do it now, it'll lead to resentment and anger.
with that note, good night BAR. In my opionion you're getting way to attached to your frags and the fact that you find them expensive makes it worse. I think this program is all about generosity. If your heart is not about givng then don't do it. If you do it now, it'll lead to resentment and anger.
In the end, it's your coral and you can make up any rules you want and give them to who ever you want. I'm just stating my humble opinion on how you handle things.
Sincerely,
Dochou

you added yourself to barcode 3/3 - didnt like the getting in line idea, but i let slide since it was a new program we are using. I have no idea what you are infering to here. I thought we were supposed to use Barcode. No? @jhuynh, can you explain so I don't piss someone else off?
you lost a green tenuis on 3/10 - https://www.bareefers.org/forum/threads/kris’s-green-tenuis.27133/page-2 Yes I did. But the piece I received was not 100% healed and so the health of that frag was in question when I got it. I just didn't want to mention it on the thread and to blame someone. The 2nd piece I got is growing like weed now. But whatever, it's your DBTC rules and you can do what you want. I just want to be clear on my end.
you added yourself @ofzakaria WD on 3/13. Yes I did. I wasn't clear that I would get a frag from you because your posts here were cryptic. I really find your communication style difficult to understand. I also PM'd you on 3/15 and 3/18 and got no response so I figured I may not get a frag from you. You also were so pissed off at the beginning that it seemed like any thing could change your mind, so I decided to look elsewhere. When @ofzakaria asked me whether I was going to get a WD frag from you, I said i didn't know. But decided to take my name off his list just in case you were going to come through. Maybe I should have left my name on his list and took my name off of yours.
you added yourself to mainly higher end frags recently from @ofzakaria dtbc same week - which are all harder to keep sps. Yes I did because I already have well established mini colonies or frags of all the other sps on DBTC that I'm interested in. I have DO have some harder to keep SPS such as a sunset millie and others. It wasn't mentioned in my tank journal because you didn't ask me to list all my corals in my tank journal. You should have just gotten to the point and asked me for a list of all the corals I'm growing now and how many and what kind of corals I've killed over the past 5 years. That's what it seems like you're after.
you updated your journal 3/15, which i appreciate, but the sps you have currently is no where the complexity of the sps you're in line for. How do you know that? You just made an assumption. Harder to grow SPS weren't mentioned in my tank journal because you didn't ask me to list all my corals in my tank journal. You should have just gotten to the point and asked me for a list of all the corals I'm growing now and how many and what kind of corals I've killed over the past 5 years. That's what is seems like you're after.

I have more reasons too, but I won't mention them. Oh please go on, mention them. Your on a roll!

any BOD think i am out of line, then let me know and delete my post - I just don't care anymore. I am only stating the facts on why candidates are not chosen. Yes, this could be made through PM, but why bother with it. So you're not such a dick. I am not here to offend anyone (Well you did offended me) nor wreck havoc on the dtbc system, just stating my opinions. You can do this without singling me out. I just want survivabilty of my sps within the dtbc so I can contribute more. just think of it, who is crazy enough to dtbc a walt disney besides @ofzakaria? That's not the issue in my case. I just take offence at how you handled the situation.

If you are not chosen, so be it. Yeah I agree, no skin of my nose. Just be clear if you intend to give someone a frag or not. And if you want to qualify it with all the things that I shouldn't have done, then be clear about that at the onset. Like I said, it's hard to understand the way you write.

I already lost a rmf lucky charms ($250), tsa starscream ($350), tsa sin city ($250), tsa arcolandia ($450), tsa super mario ($400) and on a verge on loosing a tsa bubbleyum ($400). What does you killing your own expensive frags have to do with anything? You keep mentioning how much money you spend, but this attitude leaves a bad taste to the whole DBTC endeavor. Even with my stable parameters, a sps can just rtn one night. Yep, so anyone you give a frag to, can end up losing it. just think how i would feel if i loose a rrc rainbow splice ($750)? what have you lost? I am not here to give out free high end corals for people to try and see if they can grow it. Actually that is exactly what you are doing when participating in DBTC. If you feel so strongly about purely banking your expensive corals in case of a crash, then maybe you can start a 2nd tank to have duplicate corals. That way you won't need to give out free frags to bank. You will never be able to insure that the frag you gave away will live forever. i was going to DBTC my rr lady in pink, but i changed my mind (i have frags for specific bar members to pass out already). everyone knows their tank and knows what they can do and not do. I totally disagree with this statement; that's what makes this hobby a challenge. If every one stuck to what they knew they definitively could grow, then we'd all be raising only GSP. There's always a slow gradual progression on what I take on. I didn't go from softies to high end SPS all at once. I definitely feel a WD is not the hardest coral to keep alive and I'm able to take this on. I am here to reserve my corals in case my dastaco c2 reactor craps out and shoots my alk to 12 dkh - Just as you're saying here: no one is perfect and it's possible that your frag will be lost no matter how hard you try to vet the "lucky" victim to recieve your frag. which almost happened and the highest was 9.4 dkh. if this dtbc program isnt going to work for me, i might as well start selling my corals.

wd - $60/frag
rmf acid trip - $60/frag
arc fireworks - $60/frag

in other words - i enjoy the DTBC program that is going on, but to me, is not meant for higher end sps... Then why are you even adding your "high end sps" now? with that note, good night BAR. In my opionion you're getting way to attached to your frags and the fact that you find them expensive makes it worse. I think this program is all about generosity. If your heart is not about givng then don't do it. If you do it now, it'll lead to resentment and anger.
with that note, good night BAR. In my opionion you're getting way to attached to your frags and the fact that you find them expensive makes it worse. I think this program is all about generosity. If your heart is not about givng then don't do it. If you do it now, it'll lead to resentment and anger.
In the end, it's your coral and you can make up any rules you want and give them to who ever you want. I'm just stating my humble opinion on how you handle things.
Sincerely,
Dochou
Doc,the only thing I want to point out is, DBTC is not about generosity, thats what PIF is for. DBTC is indeed about survival of the chain.

I think this is the fundamental issue DBTC often face. The mission is survival not to try and learn or being generous. Once this mission is understood, alot of things get looked at with diffrent lence.

DBTC is often seen as a source for free coral. Not as it’s intended purpose of offering a way for members to bank/share their corals. High end or otherwise.

In my DBTC, I include disclaimers that it is not meant to ‘give’ corals and that I reserve the right to choose who gets a frag. It’s not 1st come 1st serve.

I cringe when I see people tell new members to head to DBTC to get new corals for their new tanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks for trusting me with this frag! Appreciate the freebie MattV colorblind too!

C270B476-FA3D-431C-B620-5AFEFD503ECD.png

@jhuynh I would like to understand your frustration in hopes that we can do something about it.

In DBTC, you decide who gets frags. It doesn’t really matter who expresses interest or “gets in line”. You get to choose and, most of the time, there’s no explanation needed. If you deem a potential recipient unsuitable, that’s ok and you can move on to someone else.

The BARcode “get in line” feature makes it a bit more impersonal than a user posting in your thread, but it doesn’t really amount to much. You manage the list of recipients how you see fit.

I also don’t see why some people don’t consider DBTC a great source of free corals. It is, as long as you abide by its rules which are not very restrictive at all.

@jhuynh I would like to understand your frustration in hopes that we can do something about it.

In DBTC, you decide who gets frags. It doesn’t really matter who expresses interest or “gets in line”. You get to choose and, most of the time, there’s no explanation needed. If you deem a potential recipient unsuitable, that’s ok and you can move on to someone else.

The BARcode “get in line” feature makes it a bit more impersonal than a user posting in your thread, but it doesn’t really amount to much. You manage the list of recipients how you see fit.

I also don’t see why some people don’t consider DBTC a great source of free corals. It is, as long as you abide by its rules which are not very restrictive at all.
"I also don’t see why some people don’t consider DBTC a great source of free corals. It is, as long as you abide by its rules which are not very restrictive at all."

This part is why I will never add a DBTC in BAR any more. Because indeed the DBTC is being looked at as a free frag by even the bod.
The more I hear how others think about the DBTC the more I think I either totally misread what this program is about, or the club drifted from its mission..

So new supporting members pay supporting fees cause they think its a way to get free frags, then a bod enforce it and say it is..

Last edited:
I agree with Omar and John. DBTC should not be viewed as “free coral”. It is meant as a back up system where youre spreading out your corals to other responsible parties in the event that your tank suffers an accident, you don’t completely lose your prized possession.
Too many people use DBTC as a way to get free coral and when the people who have passed it on need corals, they’re almost never available to give back due to the abuse of the system

I agree with Omar and John. DBTC should not be viewed as “free coral”. It is meant as a back up system where youre spreading out your corals to other responsible parties in the event that your tank suffers an accident, you don’t completely lose your prized possession.
Too many people use DBTC as a way to get free coral and when the people who have passed it on need corals, they’re almost never available to give back due to the abuse of the system
I was really hoping the BOD would come out and re enforce what thw dbtc mission is.
As I said, if we look at it from what I used to think the mission is. You will understand John and other frustration.
I do pif and dtbc, each has totally different mission.

I do dbtc on rare or important corsl to me to preserve it. While I do more pif on extra and easy to find coral.

As long as we have the dbtc linked to supporting membership, this will never change and some will be supporting thinking its the right of passage for "free frags"..

This is my own personal opinion, not that of the board.

Is it not free coral with rules? You’re reading too much into the “free frags” saying. They are free, at the discretion of the giver, with rules. It’s not an FDIC insured coral bank - you’re always taking your chances with every frag you give.

This is my own personal opinion, not that of the board.

Is it not free coral with rules? You’re reading too much into the “free frags” saying. They are free, at the discretion of the giver, with rules. It’s not an FDIC insured coral bank - you’re always taking your chances with every frag you give.
It has to do with the message.

If I told someone who is not a member he can get free Walt Disney in DBTC, they would probably sign up expecting it. But then he/she finds out its not really free 1st come 1st serve. It has strings attached and they may not even get selected.

I think there should be a distinction between DBTC and PIF. If what you want to do is spread the love, use PIF. If you want to bank your coral, use DBTC. And as a member, if you are looking for free coral with no responsibility, use PIF. If you want to take on the responsibility of taking care of a coral for someone else, then DBTC is for you. If what you want is to TRY a coral, do not use DBTC.

I don’t understand why everyone always wants to create controversy out of nothing, intentionally misinterpreting everything they read online.

The rules and intentions of DBTC are clearly spelled out, including the encouragement of members who start a DBTC to spell out whatever rules they want to include or not. Most people choose to use it as a way to share coral with club members while also giving themselves a backup supply of the coral in case something happens to their colony. The hope generally is to propagate the coral so that lots of people can enjoy it and help each other in times of need. But people are free to create their own rules for their own chains, for example what Omar has done with his. He has converted a bunch of PIF’s to DBTC’s and changed the rules on his DBTC’s to be more like PIF’s, for example. His chains, his rules, as long as nobody is getting abused.

One of the basic tenets of DBTC is that it doesn’t involve paying money for corals, so in that sense it IS free. Not free of obligation to follow the rules as layed out in the chain, but free of monetary cost. So if someone says DBTC is a way to get coral for free as long as you follow the rules and the spirit of the program, they are stating the truth.

Board members are all individual people. If you want to know what the Board has decided, read our Board minutes or look at official postings by Will or others when we make clear we are posting something related to a Board action. Everything else we say is just us talking like any other member of the club, including everything I’m writing here. Trying to equate every single post from every Board member into BAR policy is just incorrect, and stifles the ability of the Board members to enjoy being active members of the club. If I say I like the Triton method and I like to use PIF to give away corals, that is NOT the Board saying we officially endorse the Triton method or PIF over other options. Just my opinion. The Board only meets a few times a year, and only when we make and pass a motion, or act on previously discussed items, is it fair to say that that is a Board action or policy.

I really don’t understand where the misunderstandings are coming from.

Back