Neptune Aquatics

What does the industry need?

Blaise006

Supporting Member
What do you think can be done that would/should;

A) Make your life easier?

B) Make the hobby more accessible to a wider audience?

C) Be made and your not sure why it hasn’t?

Something that keeps the glass clean. I’ve seen some robots that try but aren’t great. A type of glass or coating or something that inhibited algae growth without affecting other livestock would be a game changer.

Submersible webcam to monitor the tank while being away.

I setup a wyze cam for this on a recent vacation. I just loved the ability to watch my tank while being a couple hours away. When I looked for a webcam made for aquariums that was submersible, I was surprised there aren’t really any options, at least that I could find. Of course one problem is keeping the lens clean of algae, maybe a “wind shield wiper” like contraption for the lens would work?

Submersible webcam to monitor the tank while being away.

I setup a wyze cam for this on a recent vacation. I just loved the ability to watch my tank while being a couple hours away. When I looked for a webcam made for aquariums that was submersible, I was surprised there aren’t really any options, at least that I could find. Of course one problem is keeping the lens clean of algae, maybe a “wind shield wiper” like contraption for the lens would work?
Icecap had a submersible camera for a little bit. Don't know why it was discontinued. It was called the IceCap Reef-Cam.

I'm on the kickstarter campaign for Moai. Still vaporware.

Icecap had a submersible camera for a little bit. Don't know why it was discontinued. It was called the IceCap Reef-Cam.

I'm on the kickstarter campaign for Moai. Still vaporware.
yeah the icecap was the only one I could find but you're right its discontinued.

That moai is really cool! A cleaner and a camera! A little concerning that their original delivery date was way back in 2018 though

Years ago a hopeful technology invented that seemed perfect for aquariums. It was a film you could apply to glass, and under "normal" UV levels (daylight/outside) it would oxidize its surface thus removing any build up. It was designed for windows on high rises so they wouldn't have to clean the windows as often. Never heard about it after all the hype, another one shelved for what ever reason?

+1 on some sort of automatic glass cleaner.

I think a thin mylar film covering the front inside of the glass, that is automatically rolled up
and replaced would be the answer. But there are a ton of problems to solve.

I think a thin mylar film covering the front inside of the glass, that is automatically rolled up
Like the automatic felt screen roller for the particles, but a clear film that moves across the tank and rolls up in the corners!

Like the automatic felt screen roller for the particles, but a clear film that moves across the tank and rolls up in the corners!
Exactly. A box in each corner. One rolls in, one rolls out. Occasionally replace the film.
Maybe a U channel across top and bottom to hold the film edges.
Some sort of pump to pull water out from between glass and film. Or maybe replace it with RO water.

I think the key problem to solve is making sure nothing grows between the film and the glass.

As a bonus, it really helps protect glass/acrylic from scratches.

Exactly. A box in each corner. One rolls in, one rolls out. Occasionally replace the film.
Maybe a U channel across top and bottom to hold the film edges.
Some sort of pump to pull water out from between glass and film. Or maybe replace it with RO water.

I think the key problem to solve is making sure nothing grows between the film and the glass.

As a bonus, it really helps protect glass/acrylic from scratches.
Plus it rotates the position of your frag racks through the tank!

Idea: One month free aquarium service with the purchase of a premium reef system.

So many mistakes are made in that first setup and the first month.
It adds cost. But it should reduce returns and support.
Bulk Reef Supply and Red Sea Reefer could sub contract with locals.
I bet local service people would do it at cost to get possible long term contracts.

Idea: One month free aquarium service with the purchase of a premium reef system.

So many mistakes are made in that first setup and the first month.
It adds cost. But it should reduce returns and support.
Bulk Reef Supply and Red Sea Reefer could sub contract with locals.
I bet local service people would do it at cost to get possible long term contracts.
I know some stores do offer this

I know some stores do offer this
I service company I worked for did it... but ours was a bit longer then a month... 1 year. $250K systems though, and you needed us there quite often to work out the technical bugs. We did computer operated surge aquariums back in the late 90's. Most of it was proprietary hardware and software.

Back