Cali Kid Corals

Ryan’s 40G first reef

Royal gramma immediately shot for a rock cave, 6 line is hiding behind my AIO housing and the bicolor blenny hasn't come out of his cave. I fed the tank a tiny bit of frozen food and only the clownfish ate.

I very aware that I need to give these fish time to feel safe so they come out. At what time point do I begin to worry about hiding?

Royal gramma immediately shot for a rock cave, 6 line is hiding behind my AIO housing and the bicolor blenny hasn't come out of his cave. I fed the tank a tiny bit of frozen food and only the clownfish ate.

I very aware that I need to give these fish time to feel safe so they come out. At what time point do I begin to worry about hiding?
They'll make it without food for a while (week) - would recommend to dim the lights and minimize rapid movement close to the tank, both of which may cause them to hide.

They'll make it without food for a while (week) - would recommend to dim the lights and minimize rapid movement close to the tank, both of which may cause them to hide.
I have my lights on the LPS preset to hopefully prevent bleaching and to aid acclimation. I'll try not to walk quickly in front of the tank. Good to know they will survive a few days without eating.

I've also found that live foods (like baby brine) can entice new fish to eat! Good to give that a try
Yup. Pods and live brine will trigger the feeding response, especially in the royal gamma and wrasse.
I am happy to try live baby brine; is there a good source in the South Bay? Or is that something you make at home?
Both Clearwater and Neptune are clean out of pods I need to help clear my diatoms and feed my fish. Darn.

I am happy to try live baby brine; is there a good source in the South Bay? Or is that something you make at home?
Both Clearwater and Neptune are clean out of pods I need to help clear my diatoms and feed my fish. Darn.
I hatch them myself - LFS should have some dried BBS cysts (eggs)

Probably normal, clowns are weird :) Any pics?
D6C7C3AE-503D-45BD-80FB-7642B9FB48E1.jpeg
A298EDD1-C715-4E08-ABFF-463A6E16F578.jpeg

Hmm, a little strange but probably normal. You have some powerheads oxygenating the water well, right?
2 random flow return nozzles with 660gph and a 3500gph power head set to 0-30% random mode. I have a glass lid but it doesn’t cover the aio filter which should get plenty of air and water movement.

How’s their breathing? Do you notice any difference from the baseline breathing behavior when you got them to now. I have a pair that the female sleeps in the weirdest positions I think she’s dead every time I check on her. A video might give a better understanding.

Clowns are weird, but that seems super weird. Especially if you're taking that pic in the morning with the lights on. Fish don't take day naps. Did you check your Ammonia/nitrite/salinity/temp?

Just keep in mind you're trying the extreme accelerated version of setting up a tank, so it's much more likely something will go wrong. I'd make sure you do extra tests, and have some Prime and a bunch of premixed, temp matched, salt on hand.

Back