Kessil

Ryan’s 40G first reef

How’s their breathing? Do you notice any difference from the baseline breathing behavior when you got them to now. I have a pair that the female sleeps in the weirdest positions I think she’s dead every time I check on her. A video might give a better understanding.
I do not notice but it’s hard to tell with sunrise mode.
Edit: added a little prime just in case. They seem to be back to swimming normally now. They didn’t take any frozen food like yesterday but they did eat twice then.

Last edited:
My nh3 monitor hasn’t budged yet, I have only been feeding reef frenzy nano frozen food so far. Here’s a video of them now:
Looks normal from here from the video clip
It is NOT uncommon for them to hang in the corners of thanks...farmed fish, that is.
They do NOT have any idea what those others “things” are in the tank with them.
It may take a week, or more than a year for them to adjust and come down to the “reef”
Good luck

Looks normal from here from the video clip
It is NOT uncommon for them to hang in the corners of thanks...farmed fish, that is.
They do NOT have any idea what those others “things” are in the tank with them.
It may take a week, or more than a year for them to adjust and come down to the “reef”
Good luck
You’re right, they seem to be acting fine now. What weird fish to sleep sideways in the corner…

Clowns seem to be acting normally. 6 line is venturing into the reef from behind the filter. Blenny is darting in and out of rock caves. Haven’t seen my royal gramma or pistol shrimp since I put them in.

Edit: found my pistol shrimp, he’s backed into a corner next to my AIO box.

Last edited:
Ugh, my clowns sleep like they passed away. On their sides in the top corner of my tank. But yesterday then acted completely fine during the day. They appear to be swimming in place while sleeping,
Just clowns being clowns?

Found my Wrasse tucked into a corner next to my AIO box covered in slime. I nudged him and he seemed to be stunned then swam off. Was he just sleeping? I thought they sleep in the sand?
AB0E387A-ACEC-4B7E-BDF7-D46223EE57B2.jpeg

Last edited:
Found my Wrasse tucked into a corner next to my AIO box covered in slime. I nudged him and he seemed to be stunned then swam off. Was he just sleeping? I thought they sleep in the sand?
They can. I have had several wrasse in bare bottom tanks that slept under rocks and covered themselves in slime. It's a way to hide their smell from predators.

Wrasse is swimming around normally. I fed some reef frenzy nano and everyone seemed to eat to varying degrees. Royal gramma and bicolor blenny are starting to come out.

All fish except my blenny are eating. I need to get some sort of algae food for it as it pecks at my diatom covered rocks. Royal gramma is out much more even when I'm in front of the tank during feedings, otherwise it hides. My pistol shrimp spends all day behind the aio. Hopefully both my YWG and exquisite firefish arrive on Wednesday.
Attended my first coral swap and had a blast! I swapped a green and red chalice, purple and green polyp sps and red branching Monti for a few acros and two candy corals. I got some PE from the acros after dipping. One had aphasia which I lemon'd and superglued.

@Finnaddict thank you so much for the cool sps! Also @mlang candy coral and @Apon candy coral.
9C419A75-C780-43D9-99B8-D763A786778A.jpeg
B023A650-4588-4A60-B3C3-F0D91D213272.jpeg

Attachments

• E1A4A9E5-F926-4D99-BB12-C8D94DA4CB49.jpeg
    E1A4A9E5-F926-4D99-BB12-C8D94DA4CB49.jpeg
    75.1 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
Picked up RedSea AB+ and reef roids today at Neptune. Doing a 25G water change to dilute any potential pollutants any my pink hammer hasn't be super happy the last two days. Good PE on all but one SPS.

Last edited:
Split a reef-cleaners order with a friend and picked up 2/3rds of these snails. Hopefully its a good verity along with copepods to clean up my diatoms and green algae.
Screen Shot 2022-03-21 at 9.03.41 PM.png

Nitrite has zeroed out and nitrate is 3/4ppm after my WC. I think it’s fully cycled and now I have to wait 3-6 months for denitrifying bacteria.
300106B1-52F3-42DC-9547-34A135EB433D.jpeg

Split a reef-cleaners order with a friend and picked up 2/3rds of these snails. Hopefully its a good verity along with copepods to clean up my diatoms and green algae.
View attachment 36539

If you are trying to have a pest free tank, snails from reefcleaners can come with vermetid snails. I qt my snails for a month after scrubbing the shells spotless.
00D32694-70BF-4091-9EAF-828BE0DC5C41.jpeg

If you are trying to have a pest free tank, snails from reefcleaners can come with vermetid snails. I qt my snails for a month after scrubbing the shells spotless.
View attachment 36562
Thank you for the heads up! I was completely unaware. Is there anyway to do a shorter QT with daily inspections? Or is it 1 month minimum?
Humble fish claims 76 days.

Last edited:
Back