Reef nutrition

Ryan’s 40G first reef

Depending on what you're feeding, it's my understanding white stringy poop isn't necessarily a cause for concern in a clown. For instance, if you're feeding mysis primarily. If they're not looking bloated, nor skinny, and are eating, I'd not rush out to treatments.

Also, I don't think general cure is reef safe. If you're soaking food in it, and then putting that food in your tank, it's the same as adding small amounts of it directly to the tank. Focus mitigates that somewhat, in that it's not initially floating free, but anything that doesn't get eaten will release it at it breaks down.

I'd run some carbon to reduce the chances of your clean up crew or corals getting nuked by the treatment. Well, what I'd really do is avoid doing this in the display tank, but that's probably obviously the recommendation.

Also keep in mind every additional fish and coral you add is one more chance you're going to infect your entire tank. So if you're going straight into the display, I'd make sure you're very confident in your trust of the source of things and your ability to notice the signs of issues when watching them before purchasing.

Depending on what you're feeding, it's my understanding white stringy poop isn't necessarily a cause for concern in a clown. For instance, if you're feeding mysis primarily. If they're not looking bloated, nor skinny, and are eating, I'd not rush out to treatments.

Also, I don't think general cure is reef safe. If you're soaking food in it, and then putting that food in your tank, it's the same as adding small amounts of it directly to the tank. Focus mitigates that somewhat, in that it's not initially floating free, but anything that doesn't get eaten will release it at it breaks down.

I'd run some carbon to reduce the chances of your clean up crew or corals getting nuked by the treatment. Well, what I'd really do is avoid doing this in the display tank, but that's probably obviously the recommendation.

Also keep in mind every additional fish and coral you add is one more chance you're going to infect your entire tank. So if you're going straight into the display, I'd make sure you're very confident in your trust of the source of things and your ability to notice the signs of issues when watching them before purchasing.
Current feeding regiment: NLS Thera A+ small fish 1x day, LRS reef frenzy nano 1x day. I gave them a few feedings of the free hikari food from the coral swap too. I have ordered Focus and will cease medicating until it arrives.
I'm running 24/7 carbon for water clarity but ill change it more frequently to help with the medication. I currently dont have a clean up crew but they will be QT'd for 30 days once they arrive this week. If I had room to run QT everything before it goes in my DT I would. :(
I'm certainly not skilled enough to be able to spot not obviously sick fish at my LFS. I only have two more fish to add (firefish, YWG) and then I'm fully stocked. I plan to add them at the same time.

Can I QT a few dozen small snails in a 5 gal heated filtered and cycled bucket? Do I just toss in some nori every few days? I plan to wait 30-45 days from what I've read on humble fish.

Can I QT a few dozen small snails in a 5 gal heated filtered and cycled bucket? Do I just toss in some nori every few days? I plan to wait 30-45 days from what I've read on humble fish.
I don't want to discourage anyone from quarantining, but I'm curious what would compel you to quarantine snails for 45 days, but you'd put fish and coral straight into the display. If it was me at this point, I'd just get them, give them a visual once over, and toss them in. If you order them from reef cleaners where they're kept separate from fish it'd reduce the risk even further.

The odds of you getting a tank killer introduction is probably orders of magnitude higher from wild caught firefish, or rock/chaeto/frags from someone else's tank than the snails.

That being said, right now you can get a 10 gallon from Petco for under $20, if you want to QT some things. On marketplace you can probably get a full setup for around that.

I don't want to discourage anyone from quarantining, but I'm curious what would compel you to quarantine snails for 45 days, but you'd put fish and coral straight into the display. If it was me at this point, I'd just get them, give them a visual once over, and toss them in. If you order them from reef cleaners where they're kept separate from fish it'd reduce the risk even further.

The odds of you getting a tank killer introduction is probably orders of magnitude higher from wild caught firefish, or rock/chaeto/frags from someone else's tank than the snails.

That being said, right now you can get a 10 gallon from Petco for under $20, if you want to QT some things. On marketplace you can probably get a full setup for around that.
I just really don’t want vermited snails. I hated pest snails in my freshwater and broke it down because of that.

Vermentid snails reproduce easily but it's not that hard to keep out. Inspect each snail thuroghly and scrape off anything attached to their shells. Even if you get vermentid snails (at least the big ones) they are easy to deal with when you notice them. Just glue their tunnel shut. If you're going to QT snails, you should be QT corals too or it's a waste of time.

Vermentid snails reproduce easily but it's not that hard to keep out. Inspect each snail thuroghly and scrape off anything attached to their shells. Even if you get vermentid snails (at least the big ones) they are easy to deal with when you notice them. Just glue their tunnel shut. If you're going to QT snails, you should be QT corals too or it's a waste of time.
Good point. So I should inspect and scrub each shell clean then just toss em in?

If you QT the snails, you are more likely to catch hitchhikers like aptasia and flatworms but the same can be said for frags.

I got aptasia from a hermit crab from reefcleaners. It's your call on if the risk is worth the effort.

Just a heads up, the rubble you got from me is about as far from a quarantined tank as you can get. There were likely eggs of everything in that cup of rubble from my sump. I generally take a pest management approach rather than a pest prevention one.

Just a heads up, the rubble you got from me is about as far from a quarantined tank as you can get. There were likely eggs of everything in that cup of rubble from my sump. I generally take a pest management approach rather than a pest prevention one.
I realize that when I got home and ended up not using it, sorry. I can clean it and bring it back if you’d like.

Drain the water and then I'll take it back sometime. I don't like the idea of whatever soup is in the cup now going back in the tank, but the media will be fine.

I’m *attempting* to have a pest free reef. However I found my first asterina…
Man I got hundreds of them asterinas they just clean the glass only so far... but coral banded shrimp do eat them and certain fish haven't considered them a pest unless there's certain varieties that are?

I seeded reef nutrition copepods. I already had some white copepods behind my AIO. Hopefully that plus my CUC should start tackling brown and green algaes.

FTS:

3D0D9C48-7595-4F82-9551-0E94FECEBBDC.jpeg

Added a replacement firefish. Hopefully I don’t wake up to it passed away like the last one.

BRS 7 stage RODI + 8800 booster pump kit should be here this weekend. I'm sick of driving to Neptune 1-2 times per week!

Last edited:
Back