High Tide Aquatics

Ryan’s 40G first reef

For Vermetid snails, it's the possibility of eggs on the shell that is the concern. I couldn't find an answer on how long it takes for an egg to hatch so I personally went with one month. For the one month, I would pull all the snails out every week and clean the shells with a toothbrush and scalpel. After 4 weeks, I would put the snails into the DT.

The 76 days is for Ich fallow period if I remember correctly.

For Vermetid snails, it's the possibility of eggs on the shell that is the concern. I couldn't find an answer on how long it takes for an egg to hatch so I personally went with one month. For the one month, I would pull all the snails out every week and clean the shells with a toothbrush and scalpel. After 4 weeks, I would put the snails into the DT.

The 76 days is for Ich fallow period if I remember correctly.
Got it, I’ll QT for them all for a month.

I’m now learning that and removing stars. I did dip with revive.
ask away. we are all here. lots of great knowledge on the forum. dipping will stun pests off corals, but won't effect eggs. always dip and inspect throughly.

my 2 cents: slow down. you're going to fast. you barely finished your cycle, the ugly phase didn't come yet, and you already have sps in there. your determination in the challenge of sps is appreciated, but you are walking a fine line. I'd wait until your tank matures more. you will know once coralline starts growing.

ask away. we are all here. lots of great knowledge on the forum. dipping will stun pests off corals, but won't effect eggs. always dip and inspect throughly.

my 2 cents: slow down. you're going to fast. you barely finished your cycle, the ugly phase didn't come yet, and you already have sps in there. your determination in the challenge of sps is appreciated, but you are walking a fine line. I'd wait until your tank matures more. you will know once coralline starts growing.
That’s some great advice there. 100%
But when we all first start in this hobby. Either we are not educated enough on the hobby or too much so that we want a super clean environment. The reality is that your gonna have to go super slow and baby steps. Learn as you go. Also learn what you can live with and what you can’t. I was heart broken at my first Aiptasia, ich, etc. I had thought dang. All this effort for not. But life goes on. The aquarium survived. Kinda.
Cuz we all were once like you. :)

Last edited:

I'm happy with the amount of test corals (mix of lps and sps) I currently have and I plan to improve my marine husbandry over the next several months by asking questions and posting tank updates here. I'm decently into the uglies with diatoms and green film algae. My CUC will be QT'd and added after a month. I'm hoping to purchase some Coraline scrapings from someone on the forum with a pest free tank to seed mine.

I'm happy with the amount of test corals (mix of lps and sps) I currently have and I plan to improve my marine husbandry over the next several months by asking questions and posting tank updates here. I'm decently into the uglies with diatoms and green film algae. My CUC will be QT'd and added after a month. I'm hoping to purchase some Coraline scrapings from someone on the forum with a pest free tank to seed mine.
With all due respect, you don't know how far into the ugly stages you are. It varies by tank and you could easily end up with 3 inch long fields of hair algae in a month, which your cuc won't touch.

Just saw long stringy white poop from one clownfish. What should I treat it with?
Humble.fish is my go to for fish help. Dude is super smart about fish. In QT when I see white poo is 2 scoops general cure and 1 scoop focus mixed into wet food. For 10 days. That’s 1 feeding of that a day plus whatever else I feed. Then I see if it cures it.

Fed the clowns API general cure soaked food and they did not seem to really eat it. I'll try medicating LRS reef frenzy nano tonight for them.
I added a firefish from Clearwater yesterday. Eating and swimming just fine. I woke up to him dead on the sand. First marine fish loss. :(

Fed the clowns API general cure soaked food and they did not seem to really eat it. I'll try medicating LRS reef frenzy nano tonight for them.
I added a firefish from Clearwater yesterday. Eating and swimming just fine. I woke up to him dead on the sand. First marine fish loss. :(

Are you doing this in a QT tank or your main display? Are you using Seachem Focus to bind the API general cure to the food, if not it would leak into the tank?

I have a QT setup that I am currently not using if you would like to borrow it. It has most of the meds/test kit, but not Focus.

1648061441488.png

Back