High Tide Aquatics

DBTC - Red Table

One of my favorite pieces. Started growing and coloring up when I got the radions.
ba1f468acd8d95084ee0e1eb3c8508d3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beautiful! Question about this coral.. when a polyp grows does it start off green or red? Reason I ask, at the last fragswap the only stick that I picked up was supposed to be a red table.. when I got it, it was all white and looked more like just a skeleton. But I placed it on one of my rocks nearest to the light and just left it there. It's fallen to the sand a few times, gotten overgrown by GHA, and I could've sworn it was already dead. Last week when I was about to finally toss it out, i saw a single green polyp growing from it's base! So now I'm wondering if I actually lucked out and got myself one of these beauties. [emoji4]

Beautiful! Question about this coral.. when a polyp grows does it start off green or red? Reason I ask, at the last fragswap the only stick that I picked up was supposed to be a red table.. when I got it, it was all white and looked more like just a skeleton. But I placed it on one of my rocks nearest to the light and just left it there. It's fallen to the sand a few times, gotten overgrown by GHA, and I could've sworn it was already dead. Last week when I was about to finally toss it out, i saw a single green polyp growing from it's base! So now I'm wondering if I actually lucked out and got myself one of these beauties. [emoji4]

The polyps themselves are generally red and the base is green. Can take time to start growing and showing the red, as the green is initially dominant.........as it grows, the red becomes dominant. I wouldn’t throw it out though. You never know, and I am not aware of any terrible green polyp nuisance coral. LOL!

This is my current Red Planet
c19d25e2e6b162eb9b56740027faaf96.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The polyps themselves are generally red and the base is green. Can take time to start growing and showing the red, as the green is initially dominant.........as it grows, the red becomes dominant. I wouldn’t throw it out though. You never know, and I am not aware of any terrible green polyp nuisance coral. LOL!

This is my current Red Planet
c19d25e2e6b162eb9b56740027faaf96.jpg

To be honest, I did think it was bubble algae at first, it wasn’t until I took it out of the tank and took a closer look that I realized it was a polyp! There are some “white skeleton” above my baby polyp, should I trim the skeleton to let more light get to the polyp or should I just leave it be?

Nice colony! I hope my tiny poly grows up to be like that someday lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

To be honest, I did think it was bubble algae at first, it wasn’t until I took it out of the tank and took a closer look that I realized it was a polyp! There are some “white skeleton” above my baby polyp, should I trim the skeleton to let more light get to the polyp or should I just leave it be?

Nice colony! I hope my tiny poly grows up to be like that someday lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
LOL! That’s a nice surprise. I usually trim off any dead stuff, to allow the healthy tissue to grow. Although, new growth is often white.....clean white. If it looks like it could be brown, or have algae on it.....pretty safe to trim it off.

SPS are funny things. Over the years I figured out that when things are good in the tank........stuff grows pretty darn fast. However, when something goes wrong (alk drops, mag drops, too much fluctuation in PH or temp, Phosphate spikes, etc, etc, etc) it tends to stop all growth. Usually takes a week or so to notice the growth has stopped (unless it’s bad enough to cause RTN or something) then another week to figure out the problem and fix it. Then a couple more weeks before stuff starts to grow again. That happens a lot, until you start to see patterns, and correct them before it becomes a problem. The more problems you correct and anticipate, the longer the growth spurts and your coral get bigger. Maybe others don’t have to learn the hard way, but I sure do. Ha!!

Unfortunately, my red table piece started to STN about 3-4 weeks ago and I lost about 1/2 the encrustation and the branch I originally got, but it looks to have stabilized and it hasn't lost any more flesh. Interestingly enough, the half that survived is getting some crazy polyp extension and has some deep red polyp color I have never gotten before. Keeping my fingers crossed that the worse is over.

Unfortunately, my red table piece started to STN about 3-4 weeks ago and I lost about 1/2 the encrustation and the branch I originally got, but it looks to have stabilized and it hasn't lost any more flesh. Interestingly enough, the half that survived is getting some crazy polyp extension and has some deep red polyp color I have never gotten before. Keeping my fingers crossed that the worse is over.

Appears the worst is over and it's thriving again. I have a small frag (1/2") that cut a couple of days and wanted to pass a piece along before any other mishaps. The list was long and it looks like from the thread, the order of supporting members that requested a piece is

1. @Bruce Spiegelman
2. @gabloo (Think he's on a reefing hiatus though)
3. @Vincerama2
4. @scuzy
5. @Gablami

....I'll stop there...I'm sure one of those will grab it. I do plan on being at the frag swap, so you can grab it there if you'd like. You're also welcome to swing by and pick it up before then if you would prefer.

Here's what the frag looks like.
red_table_DBTC_20180330_0190.jpg

And from the top.
red_table_DBTC_20180330_0187.jpg

Last edited:
Appears the worst is over and it's thriving again. I have a small frag (1/2") that cut a couple of days and wanted to pass a piece along before any other mishaps. The list was long and it looks like from the thread, the order of supporting members that requested a piece is

1. @Bruce Spiegelman
2. @gabloo (Think he's on a reefing hiatus though)
3. @Vincerama2
4. @scuzy
5. @Gablami

....I'll stop there...I'm sure one of those will grab it. I do plan on being at the frag swap, so you can grab it there if you'd like. You're also welcome to swing by and pick it up before then if you would prefer.

Here's what the frag looks like.
red_table_DBTC_20180330_0190.jpg

And from the top.
red_table_DBTC_20180330_0187.jpg
I noticed you mounted it at a 45 degree angle. I imagine that wasn’t an accident.

Back