DBTC - Red Table

Discussion in 'DBTC - SPS' started by bee505, Jan 6, 2017.

statistics
Red Table
Chain Started on:
01/06/2017
Latest Updated on:
05/29/2018
Chain Length:
507 days
Most Generous Donors:
bee505
Most Single Donations:
Number of Transactions:
Currently Growing:
Currently Available:
Currently Failures:
Currently Unknown:
    • bee505
      bee505
      01/06/2017
      • Edgar Sandoval
        Edgar Sandoval
        01/07/2017
        • Mozby's Reef
          Mozby's Reef
          05/05/2018
      • nbaiju
        nbaiju
        01/07/2017
      • RandyC
        RandyC
        01/07/2017
        • Bruce Spiegelman
          Bruce Spiegelman
          04/14/2018
      • musclebenz
        musclebenz
        02/02/2017
      • Corallus
        Corallus
        02/06/2017
      • justjohno
        justjohno
        05/29/2018
    1. reeffer

reeffer Supporting Member

Interested on a frag if its available.

2. Edgar Sandoval

Edgar Sandoval Supporting Member

One of my favorite pieces. Started growing and coloring up when I got the radions. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bee505 likes this.
    3. jepoy

jepoy Supporting Member

Beautiful! Question about this coral.. when a polyp grows does it start off green or red? Reason I ask, at the last fragswap the only stick that I picked up was supposed to be a red table.. when I got it, it was all white and looked more like just a skeleton. But I placed it on one of my rocks nearest to the light and just left it there. It's fallen to the sand a few times, gotten overgrown by GHA, and I could've sworn it was already dead. Last week when I was about to finally toss it out, i saw a single green polyp growing from it's base! So now I'm wondering if I actually lucked out and got myself one of these beauties.

4. Kmooresf

Kmooresf Supporting Member

The polyps themselves are generally red and the base is green. Can take time to start growing and showing the red, as the green is initially dominant.........as it grows, the red becomes dominant. I wouldn’t throw it out though. You never know, and I am not aware of any terrible green polyp nuisance coral. LOL!

This is my current Red Planet
      [​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jepoy and capescuba like this.
    5. jepoy

jepoy Supporting Member

To be honest, I did think it was bubble algae at first, it wasn’t until I took it out of the tank and took a closer look that I realized it was a polyp! There are some “white skeleton” above my baby polyp, should I trim the skeleton to let more light get to the polyp or should I just leave it be?

Nice colony! I hope my tiny poly grows up to be like that someday lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

6. Kmooresf

Kmooresf Supporting Member

LOL! That’s a nice surprise. I usually trim off any dead stuff, to allow the healthy tissue to grow. Although, new growth is often white.....clean white. If it looks like it could be brown, or have algae on it.....pretty safe to trim it off.

SPS are funny things. Over the years I figured out that when things are good in the tank........stuff grows pretty darn fast. However, when something goes wrong (alk drops, mag drops, too much fluctuation in PH or temp, Phosphate spikes, etc, etc, etc) it tends to stop all growth. Usually takes a week or so to notice the growth has stopped (unless it’s bad enough to cause RTN or something) then another week to figure out the problem and fix it. Then a couple more weeks before stuff starts to grow again. That happens a lot, until you start to see patterns, and correct them before it becomes a problem. The more problems you correct and anticipate, the longer the growth spurts and your coral get bigger. Maybe others don’t have to learn the hard way, but I sure do. Ha!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jepoy likes this.
    7. RandyC

RandyC Supporting Member

Unfortunately, my red table piece started to STN about 3-4 weeks ago and I lost about 1/2 the encrustation and the branch I originally got, but it looks to have stabilized and it hasn't lost any more flesh. Interestingly enough, the half that survived is getting some crazy polyp extension and has some deep red polyp color I have never gotten before. Keeping my fingers crossed that the worse is over.

8. enaldy

enaldy Supporting Member

if it still available I will be glad to get one

9. Flagg37

Flagg37 Colorado member

Dang that looks almost like euphilia with all that pe.

10. jorahx4

jorahx4 Supporting Member

wow those are beautiful! dibs on a frag one day =]

11. Edgar Sandoval

Edgar Sandoval Supporting Member

I got a frag I can give you

12. jorahx4

ill get back with you later. i want to make sure my tank can successfully keep sps before i house other peoples prized joys.

13. RandyC

RandyC Supporting Member

Yeah....it's crazy. I've only seen milleporas get polyp extension that far out. Need to find the secret formula.

14. Adit0

Adit0 Supporting Member

id like to have a frag

15. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

I suggest making a tank journal so we can see what you’re working with. I am personally more likely to give people drags when I am confident they will be able to do well with them.

16. RandyC

RandyC Supporting Member

Appears the worst is over and it's thriving again. I have a small frag (1/2") that cut a couple of days and wanted to pass a piece along before any other mishaps. The list was long and it looks like from the thread, the order of supporting members that requested a piece is

1. @Bruce Spiegelman
      2. @gabloo (Think he's on a reefing hiatus though)
      3. @Vincerama2
      4. @scuzy
      5. @Gablami

....I'll stop there...I'm sure one of those will grab it. I do plan on being at the frag swap, so you can grab it there if you'd like. You're also welcome to swing by and pick it up before then if you would prefer.

Here's what the frag looks like.
      [​IMG]

And from the top.
      [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
      tankguy and jorahx4 like this.
    17. jorahx4

beautiful!

18. Gablami

Gablami Supporting Member

Awesome PE. Yeah I’ll wait in line.

19. I'd love to grab it at the swap

20. Flagg37

Flagg37 Colorado member

I noticed you mounted it at a 45 degree angle. I imagine that wasn’t an accident.