Kessil

Galoot's 220...rebirth 2024, take 2

What kind of corals are you hope to grow? I can donate some frags.
Im keeping it simple. Softies, zoas, easier LPS. Doubt I’ll do any sps. Maybe montis or similar Just looking for some variety, texture, color and contrast in this tank

I’m going to try All For Reef and water changes to maintain parameters. I’ll use the diy kit. Price seems pretty good that way, even for a large tank. I figure I’m willing to pay for a simple solution to dosing since this in theory will be a fairly low demand tank.

I also add a lifeguard HO UV. Wow what a difference in water clarity with one of these

Well the magnetic stirrer showed up. Now just waiting on the bulk all for reef. Hopefully tomorrow

Attachments

• IMG_3805.jpeg
    IMG_3805.jpeg
    123.1 KB · Views: 40
Let the mixing begin! Definitely takes awhile for everything to dissolve. At least 30 minutes a batch

Attachments

• IMG_3809.jpeg
    IMG_3809.jpeg
    95.2 KB · Views: 38
No turbidity? Just really curious since both of these solutions have vastly different pH and the AFR is closer to neutral.

No turbidity? Just really curious since both of these solutions have vastly different pH and the AFR is closer to neutral.
I had to look up what "turbidity" means! But no issues with the mixing of solutions with different properties. I'm sure the big brains at Tropic Marin got it all sorted out. I just wish I would have bought the full powdered version of the All for Reef. Almost half the price of this with the liquid trace components. Oh well

Question for everyone. What do you think this is growing on my overflow wall? Not the coraline algae, but the small red looking stuff. I think it is also some type of algae as I notice my tang and fox face pick at it. It is confined to only the overflow box. I’d like to scrap it off to allow the coraline to continue to spread, as it seems to not do so with this in the way.

Any ideas on what it is? Will it spread to other parts of my aquarium if I do scrap it?

Thx!

Attachments

• IMG_3906.jpeg
    IMG_3906.jpeg
    70.8 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_3905.jpeg
    IMG_3905.jpeg
    92.4 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_3904.jpeg
    IMG_3904.jpeg
    92.9 KB · Views: 40
If it's there, it's in other places in your tank. Feel free to scrape it off maybe before a water change. But your herbivores seem to be keeping it in check.

As long as it’s not growing over something you’re trying to grow...
It’s a tasty algae snack for the herbivores
Might also be a sponge species or the like

Ok. Maybe I’ll scrape off a small section near neighboring coraline and see if removing it allows the coraline to spread

So the nem has taken up full residence in the tunze ‍♂️. I’ll leave him alone for now.

Also got better pics of what’s growing on the overflow wall. I tried scraping it off. It’s very hard and tough to remove. Could it be another variety of coralline?

Other than that, all for reef is working good. Frags I put in have all been showing signs of growth.

Attachments

• IMG_3963.jpeg
    IMG_3963.jpeg
    72 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_3962.jpeg
    IMG_3962.jpeg
    72.9 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_3959.jpeg
    IMG_3959.jpeg
    119.5 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_3958.jpeg
    IMG_3958.jpeg
    127.4 KB · Views: 42
Well this is horrible! Posted this in a nother section as well

Hey everyone. No idea where to post this, but I’m kind of a mess at this point. The front seam on my 220 just let go!

Thank god i was home. Was able to start draining right away. Leak stopped at about 6 inches down I was able to stop the leak.

I secured the panels with some rachet straps. I think that should hold for the time being.

NOW WHAT HELL AM I
GOING TO DO!!?!?

Guess I need to stock tank or an emergency holding system somewhere.

Ok. I ordered a new tank. It should arrive next week. John at Advanced Acrylics definitely hooked me up. So now I need to plan everything out. My thoughts are as follows;

Secure a temp holding tank of some sort for the fish and corals for a week or two. Make that move.
Breakdown existing tank and dispose of it. I either need the suction cups to move it, or maybe I just cut right through all the silicone and remove a panel at a time?
New tank arrives, Set up, Replumb everything and leak test.
Rescape new display, then move fish and coral over

Ok. I ordered a new tank. It should arrive next week. John at Advanced Acrylics definitely hooked me up. So now I need to plan everything out. My thoughts are as follows;

Secure a temp holding tank of some sort for the fish and corals for a week or two. Make that move.
Breakdown existing tank and dispose of it. I either need the suction cups to move it, or maybe I just cut right through all the silicone and remove a panel at a time?
New tank arrives, Set up, Replumb everything and leak test.
Rescape new display, then move fish and coral over
You bought the aquarium from John ? If yes. Plan for it to be longer. He’s notorious for lagging. Hopefully he’s not. But just in case.

Back