got ethical husbandry?

34 Gallon RSM - Upgrading Lights

I am learning, but I just needed help with trying to make my tank better. I'll just order the same lights I have now, and since It causes such a big argument every time I ask a question I think I may just ask my questions on Reef Central.

There is no problem causing an "argument" as long as you leave the discussion learning why people seem heated and what is the good option to follow :) I guarantee you that you will get a better (more informed) answer here then on RC :)

I shutter at the "advice" you'll get there Matthew. At times you say some stuff that needs a counter voice, other times you say some stuff that blow me away. what you've picked up this far is amazing and I sure hope you continue. One thing I suggest is to take things slower then you are. If you loose something don't jump to instant conclusions and post them as a fact. This doesn't help you learn and only serves to get countered. What seems like an argument to you is hardly an argument.

Trust me, we're mild manor to what you'll get over on RC.

I think getting new lights will help. I also think a skimmer would really help you out. I have a CPR Bak Pak you can have if your RSM will hold it. I'll have to attach the brackets on it as I used it in sump (for 10 years). The pump is nearly new. perfect size skimmer for that tank volume, that is for sure!!!

oh, on the topic of the RSM34 with PC bulbs and currently housing Nems, I'd highly advise you change your bulbs every 6 months rather than 1-2 years. They lose intensity over time and you want to get as much light as you can.

I used to change my PC's every 8 months but 6 is a good time as well. It really helps with PC bulbs.

Matthew, if you want the CPR Aquatics Bak Pak PM me. You'll have to research if it'll fit on the RSM though. You may need to cut a little off the hood. I'm not familiar with the hood layout/construction though. CPR has incredible customer service as does Red Sea. I'd say email them rather then ask others online, or do both and be safe :)

Euphyllia said:
I have and use the skimmer that came with my Red Sea Max and it fits directly into the back of the tank. Thanks for the offer though! :)
This one is much better ;) Offer stands. it's not in use nor will it be. I have a few new skimmers to use now :) One of the perks of working in the aquatics trade@

You should take up that offer on the bakpak. It's a decent little skimmer, I run it on my 15 gallon at work. It's compact and effective. That little tank is the one that propagates RBTAs like crazy.

I run a 150w MH on that tank.

Matthew, I would ditch the stock skimmer for 2 reasons - 1. that skimmer is tough to get dialed in and 2. if you upgrade your lights you will need to run a chiller. The sump doesn't have enough room for a properly sized return pump and the stock RSM skimmer.

FYI, I use the tunze 9002 skimmer and run a chiller with stock lighting on my RSM 130.

Eight said:
You should take up that offer on the bakpak. It's a decent little skimmer, I run it on my 15 gallon at work. It's compact and effective. That little tank is the one that propagates RBTAs like crazy.

I run a 150w MH on that tank.

Are you using the new Accella pump or a Maxi-Jet? Mine has the Accella (best pump for it).

I dunno Matthew. I don't have much experience with RSM. I see them at trade shows and I am friends with some of their previous reps so I can email them and ask.

NP. Give it a day or two. Since I am not a customer, and they know this, they may take longer to reply to me :lol:

Back