Neptune Aquatics

AC now has an Aquaspin!

It seems ALK is not consistent from the latest reefers that had the test done and po4 is always off a decimal place(I’m assuming). Just my 2 cents for a $1200 machine.

It seems ALK is not consistent from the latest reefers that had the test done and po4 is always off a decimal place(I’m assuming). Just my 2 cents for a $1200 machine.
Sorry, I thought you were saying that even though it is all over the place, it was still a good service to go to when your own results are in doubt. I think I misread what you said. If you’re saying it’s all over the place and therefore disappointing, I agree given what people are posting so far.

It seems that thing is all over place, thought it’s a good service to go to when own results are in doubt.

I wouldn't say that. Its known that the po4 is off by a decimal point...no biggie. As for the ALK, mine was dead on with my Kh Guardian and my hanna test kit. Ph is definitely going to be off depending on how long the sample sits. Until we have around 5 people get tested and show back up results that are confirmed by a second test its hard to say.

But, then again, we are talking about an API product. So maybe it is off. All I know is that mines was dead on minus the po4, and nitrite.

Having the nitrite way off is a big problem since a high nitrite means your tank could be crashing if you took it seriously. If we are disregarding any values that don’t fit with our expectations based on our own testing, then what is the point of using it?

Having the PO4 off by 10x is a big problem because it means no one who pays attention to details and understands reef tanks was involved in the development and testing of this device.

I’m hopeful that this will improve with time and become useful. But the tech and procedure has been around for quite a while in the pool water testing world (LaMotte Waterlink Spin Touch), so it isn’t new. All API did was help them make a new model that looks at values of interest to freshwater and saltwater tanks.

I wouldn't say that. Its known that the po4 is off by a decimal point...no biggie. As for the ALK, mine was dead on with my Kh Guardian and my hanna test kit. Ph is definitely going to be off depending on how long the sample sits. Until we have around 5 people get tested and show back up results that are confirmed by a second test its hard to say.

But, then again, we are talking about an API product. So maybe it is off. All I know is that mines was dead on minus the po4, and nitrite.
Unless API have update fixes, otherwise the more this machine gets used the wear & tear will get worse and results will go along with it.

I had my 2 tanks Here is the result of my 50 gallon and also I did my own test today for comparison.
9D095286-8CE6-49BE-BD4F-624A284A8B41.jpeg

Alk 148 PPM = 8.3 DKH Hanna
pH 7.97 Apex
PO4. 0 Hanna
Ca 385 Redsea
I didn’t test for my Mag. Two weeks ago it was at 1500 Salifert
NO3 2ppm Salifert.

Overall I think this type of testing is moving ro the right direction in terms of saving time. Don’t think it’s as accurate as ICP yet but there’s room for improvement.

I did this today at AC and here are the results:

IMG_1164.jpg

I am not sure I trust the alk, I used a hannah checker and got 9.8, mag seems weird its low, but my tank ha been weird lately so maybe thats why. I will cross reference with some tests later tonight

Most of the Aquaspin results are garbage, if you take it at face value.

So far, we’ve gone through 2 lots of 50-packs reagents on two different Aquaspin units and this is what we found.

Test repeatability is great. That means if you run ten tests on the same water sample, you’ll get pretty accurate result from test to another.

Reagent accuracy is the problem. We’ve confirmed that with every lot of reagent, there is a huge differences in error in either Alk, Ca, or Mg from lot to lot. We confirmed these errors with 5 Tridents, Salifert test kits, and Hanna checkers.

Because the reagent is the problem and not the device itself, we realized that with each and every new lot of reagent we received, we’d have to find the error offsets of all the main three (Alk, Ca, and Mg) parameters and cross reference them with ALL our other testing methods and adjust them manually once the device completes the test. While this is not a perfect method validate the result, it is still way more accurate than just trusting the result right off the device.

Most of the Aquaspin results are garbage, if you take it at face value.

So far, we’ve gone through 2 lots of 50-packs reagents on two different Aquaspin units and this is what we found.

Test repeatability is great. That means if you run ten tests on the same water sample, you’ll get pretty accurate result from test to another.

Reagent accuracy is the problem. We’ve confirmed that with every lot of reagent, there is a huge differences in error in either Alk, Ca, or Mg from lot to lot. We confirmed these errors with 5 Tridents, Salifert test kits, and Hanna checkers.

Because the reagent is the problem and not the device itself, we realized that with each and every new lot of reagent we received, we’d have to find the error offsets of all the main three (Alk, Ca, and Mg) parameters and cross reference them with ALL our other testing methods and adjust them manually once the device completes the test. While this is not a perfect method validate the result, it is still way more accurate than just trusting the result right off the device.

Appreciate you guys being so thorough! Out of curiosity, has the company had anything to say about this? That sort of lot-to-lot variability is, frankly, unacceptable from a chemistry company, particularly when stores like yours seem to be the target market.

Appreciate you guys being so thorough! Out of curiosity, has the company had anything to say about this? That sort of lot-to-lot variability is, frankly, unacceptable from a chemistry company, particularly when stores like yours seem to be the target market.

Yes, we’re working with them at the moment to gather more data.

Do you really have measurable nitrite?

Well according to aqua spin I did, but from home nitrite tests I did not and it would be very weird if I did. That being said that level of nitrite is lower than what my test kit measures so I guess it’s technically possible. But given other people having weird results too I didn’t take it very seriously

Wondering if anyone has updates on this? Has the company improved any of the aspects of concern?

@robert4025 Are you guys still using it and how has your understanding changed?

I was reminded of it because I also have a pool and Leslie’s is doing the pool version of these tests now for free (replaced their free titration tests they’ve always done). The idea for them is that it brings customers in and they will hopefully buy whatever the test says they need in-store.

Wondering if anyone has updates on this? Has the company improved any of the aspects of concern?

@robert4025 Are you guys still using it and how has your understanding changed?

I was reminded of it because I also have a pool and Leslie’s is doing the pool version of these tests now for free (replaced their free titration tests they’ve always done). The idea for them is that it brings customers in and they will hopefully buy whatever the test says they need in-store.
Haven’t seen any change in the accuracy of their reagent. And we have gone through about 200 tests since, which is 4 different lots. Each lot is 50 tests.

The lot to lot errors are still terrible! Though. I am sure this has a lot to do with their internal manufacturing process and that probably going to take a while to fix.

The good news is that the repeatability of the error is very consistent from test to test within the lot. That’s why with each lot that arrives, we figured out the offset errors and make adjustment to the result manually after the test is ran. However, we only do that for Alk, Ca, and Mg.

Haven’t seen any change in the accuracy of their reagent. And we have gone through about 200 tests since, which is 4 different lots. Each lot is 50 tests.

The lot to lot errors are still terrible! Though. I am sure this has a lot to do with their internal manufacturing process and that probably going to take a while to fix.

The good news is that the repeatability of the error is very consistent from test to test within the lot. That’s why with each lot that arrives, we figured out the offset errors and make adjustment to the result manually after the test is ran. However, we only do that for Alk, Ca, and Mg.
Are the batch numbers for the reagents consecutive?

Back