Kessil

Anemone disappeared

Chrism1330

Supporting Member
Has anyone ever had an anemone disappear on them in a small tank?
I noticed yesterday my small anemone gone disappeared I looked everywhere lifted up the rock nowhere to be found. Does that mean it died even tho I seen it in the same day before leaving the house? I do have two pepps and turbo snails in the tank could they have possibly cleaned up the anemone? Curious what your thoughts are.

Sure. Happens all the time. Likely moved behind, under, or into a rock, but the First place to check though is the overflow.
I check everywhere the tank is so empty it’s so hard to miss it. It’s that small anemone on the left in the picture. I check under the rock nothing

Attachments

• IMG_0763.jpeg
    IMG_0763.jpeg
    85.5 KB · Views: 34
Is it possible for it to fit through the vent where the water flows at the top, leading it to go back to the filtration compartment?
Absolutely possible. Nems are 90% water so they can shrink down and fit through almost anything. I've seen them fit through 1/4" squares in a basket. The "vent" is a very normal place to see them go if they are unhappy.

What kind of Nem? How old is the tank? What size tank? What light?
To be honest I can’t really identify it but I’m assuming a RBTA or CSBA, tank size is 8g 4 months going with the tank and Fluval marine nano light. They were doing really good but for some reason it hasn’t opened up as much. I recently lowered the light down from 100% to 75% only running blues and purple with 5% whites.

They started moving around the tank last week before that they were doing just fine my water peramiters are all great too so I’m wondering what could possibly not make it happy at the moment

Couple of likely problems. Small micro/nano tanks are a very difficult environment for nems that require very stable conditions. It's hard to keep a tank that small stable especially when it's new. Even in a large tank the rule of thumb "most" of the time is don't put a nem into a tank less than six months old unless you have some expertise with them. I know nothing about that light, but I glanced at their published PAR ratings and I'm guessing it's not putting out enough PAR for your nem. I might be wrong. What are your parameters? How often do you do water changes? Note: I don't care about CA, MG, Alk.

Couple of likely problems. Small micro/nano tanks are a very difficult environment for nems that require very stable conditions. It's hard to keep a tank that small stable especially when it's new. Even in a large tank the rule of thumb "most" of the time is don't put a nem into a tank less than six months old unless you have some expertise with them. I know nothing about that light, but I glanced at their published PAR ratings and I'm guessing it's not putting out enough PAR for your nem. I might be wrong. What are your parameters? How often do you do water changes? Note: I don't care about CA, MG, Alk.
ph 8.2
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
I do close to 50% weekly water changes. Feed lightly as there’s only 1 clown. Am I missing anything else?

So possible culprits remain flow, lighting, tank water "too" clean, and not enough feeding, and the tank isn't seasoned enough. It's just guesswork at this point, but remember that Nems get a lot of their nutrients from good quality light (`90%) , but not all. They need some form of feeding for proteins and amino acids.

Flow is important, but it can't be too much. They prefer random back and forth flow (hard to do in 8 gallons) and fairly gentle. Again -- I have no clue what your par is with that light. I've always found (and believed) that nems do best in water that has some nitrates.

I recently used the par meter and these were the results. I’m not sure what it’s supposed to be at but I would say I have decent flow in the tank but I see what what your saying

Attachments

• IMG_0763.jpeg
    IMG_0763.jpeg
    85.5 KB · Views: 27
I see, would you recommend turning up my light to 100% on blue, purple, red, and white?
Cause this morning I put my blue and purple to 75% thinking I’m giving off to much light
Red has been at 0% and white at 5%

Back