Jestersix

Anemones in same tank

Hello reefers , I'm asking for some questions about anemones , can you keep rainbow , black widow and supernovas anemones in the same tank? Of course not touching each other but same tank! I heard some stories about chemical warfare or something that can happen so I want to make sure , Any info would be really appreciate it , thank you so much in advance .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my propagation tank I had a mix of roughly 80 rainbows, black widows and a few others without issues (about 50 BW and mixed others). What you hear about re: chemical warfare tends to boil down to a couple of things in my opinion (with some experience behind it.)

First, I believe that in 95% of the cases where people scream "all my Nems dies because of chemical warfare" it's because their tanks sucked in one way or the other for Nems. They will tell you everythng was fine for months, but the thing with Nems is they tend to die really slowly under bad conditions. They are actually quite hardy, but if things are bad (light, stability, water quality) they will slowly die over many months. Many people drop multiple Nems into a tank that's not old enough and then blame anything but themselves.

Second, and I never even believed this until I propagated for a while, there MAY be something to mixing wild nems with aqua-cultured nems, but no one has ever shown it's chemical warfare. It could also be wild bacteria, viruses, or most anything.

In any case, you're mixing types that have been aqua-cultured for thousands of generations in home tanks, and it's just fine.

Hello reefers , I'm asking for some questions about anemones , can you keep rainbow , black widow and supernovas anemones in the same tank? Of course not touching each other but same tank! I heard some stories about chemical warfare or something that can happen so I want to make sure , Any info would be really appreciate it , thank you so much in advance .

depends on whether you are a high roller kinda reefer... Can they? maybe... BUT majority of time, if you are successful there is A LOT of work involved and there are risks. Even in same tank and not touching you carry risks

I mix my nems-- probably every high end combination there is... but I also keep dedicated tanks. For the faint of heart, I would not suggest it if you don't have extra nems to spare.

As for compatibility -- my prevailing theory is that it's not chemical usually but bacterial. BTAs form symbiotic relationships with bacteria that helps it both breakdown food and defend itself...in addition to stingers. When you mix the same nem strain from different tanks, you also take on some risks of incompatibility as well... the solution is a cipro baseline. It helps but never a guarantee...

In my propagation tank I had a mix of roughly 80 rainbows, black widows and a few others without issues (about 50 BW and mixed others). What you hear about re: chemical warfare tends to boil down to a couple of things in my opinion (with some experience behind it.)

First, I believe that in 95% of the cases where people scream "all my Nems dies because of chemical warfare" it's because their tanks sucked in one way or the other for Nems. They will tell you everythng was fine for months, but the thing with Nems is they tend to die really slowly under bad conditions. They are actually quite hardy, but if things are bad (light, stability, water quality) they will slowly die over many months. Many people drop multiple Nems into a tank that's not old enough and then blame anything but themselves.

Second, and I never even believed this until I propagated for a while, there MAY be something to mixing wild nems with aqua-cultured nems, but no one has ever shown it's chemical warfare. It could also be wild bacteria, viruses, or most anything.

In any case, you're mixing types that have been aqua-cultured for thousands of generations in home tanks, and it's just fine.
Bacteria is usually the culprit. otherwise, cipro would be useless...

Bacteria is usually the culprit. otherwise, cipro would be useless...
I suspect that is correct, and a course of Cipro treatment for wild nems MAY help, and I used it. I don't believe it's necessary though for aqua-cultured Nems at all. They are very often propagated together (as I did). I'll caution though that no one knows that for sure. Every piece of evidence we have is simply anecdotal, and most of that comes from reefers not qualified (not you) to weigh that anecdotal evidence.

One piece of evidence though that does point to that is the success rate with carpet nems (that are almost always wild) is substantially higher if they are treated with Cipro before going into a display tank. Again, while still anecdotal, that does point to bacteria possibly being the issue with wild nems mixed with aqua-cultured. However, it's not proof at all. Reefers who have a seperate QT and can trat with Cipro probably also have more experience, and a more stable tank to put their Nems in, and that may be why they do better.

I suspect that is correct, and a course of Cipro treatment for wild nems MAY help, and I used it. I don't believe it's necessary though for aqua-cultured Nems at all. They are very often propagated together (as I did). I'll caution though that no one knows that for sure. Every piece of evidence we have is simply anecdotal, and most of that comes from reefers not qualified (not you) to weigh that anecdotal evidence.

One piece of evidence though that does point to that is the success rate with carpet nems (that are almost always wild) is substantially higher if they are treated with Cipro before going into a display tank. Again, while still anecdotal, that does point to bacteria possibly being the issue with wild nems mixed with aqua-cultured. However, it's not proof at all. Reefers who have a seperate QT and can trat with Cipro probably also have more experience, and a more stable tank to put their Nems in, and that may be why they do better.
actually esp with wild nems... and even nems from different tanks. Cipro baselining is beneficial to swing odds in your favor. CSBs from different tanks and/or lineages can also not get along well initially....or eventually.

Forgot to say guys and I apologise for that, that at the moment I have rainbows and a small black widow in the same tank and doing fine all of them aquaculture too noy sure if that has something to do or not but I want to mention it anyways , but I'm planning on getting a supernova also aquaculture and add it to the same tank in just a separate breeder box , the million dollar question is should I risk and introduce the SN or get rid of my rainbows and bw and then get the supernova ? Also as a side note my tank is been running for almost 2 years running pretty stable I guess . Thank you so much for your replies .

Here's one more piece to add to the puzzle though. Often people will add another nem (or two or three) to a tank, and in a few months all the nems are doing poorly. Again, anecdotally they decide it's warfare, or bacterial, but it may be something even simpler, and that is Nems are dirty. They are dirty eaters and expel lots of waste, and they give off lots of slime, So in many cases it may simply be that too many nems in some tanks are the straw that breaks the camels back because conditions in the tank deteriorate.

Forgot to say guys and I apologise for that, that at the moment I have rainbows and a small black widow in the same tank and doing fine all of them aquaculture too noy sure if that has something to do or not but I want to mention it anyways , but I'm planning on getting a supernova also aquaculture and add it to the same tank in just a separate breeder box , the million dollar question is should I risk and introduce the SN or get rid of my rainbows and bw and then get the supernova ? Also as a side note my tank is been running for almost 2 years running pretty stable I guess . Thank you so much for your replies .

As you can tell from the above discussion it's all speculative. If you run into anyone who KNOWS the answer just assume they know nothing for sure. :) Too many variables in this case. However, how big is your system? How many Nems in it? How stable is it? What else is in it. Maybe we can give a best guess anyway.....

My initial response still applies... I've probably kept more nems than most people here on BAR, and probably most in general.... so lots of first hand experience and learnings.

My stocking list for reference:

CC Supernovas
CSBs
BWs
DPV
Ultimate Chicagos
Chicagos
AZ sunset
Ultra wilds

previously also had

CC Infernos
Purple Passions
Shermans
yet more wilds... lots of wilds...

My initial response still applies... I've probably kept more nems than most people here on BAR, and probably most in general.... so lots of first hand experience and learnings.

My stocking list for reference:

CC Supernovas
CSBs
BWs
DPV
Ultimate Chicagos
Chicagos
AZ sunset
Ultra wilds

previously also had

CC Infernos
Purple Passions
Shermans
yet more wilds... lots of wilds...
I need a DPV. :)

As you can tell from the above discussion it's all speculative. If you run into anyone who KNOWS the answer just assume they know nothing for sure. :) Too many variables in this case. However, how big is your system? How many Nems in it? How stable is it? What else is in it. Maybe we can give a best guess anyway.....

My bad for not specifying the specs of my tank , anyway my tank is a redsea reefer 425xl (120 gallon total water volume) I currently have one small black widow and 6 medium rainbow anemones , my tank at the moment is pretty stable been running for 2 years without any big problems , except for some dinoflagellates that I had last year but nothing really bad , and for corals I have mostly euphylias and zoas in my tank , couple sps but the beginner type , fish around 16 total , dosing ALK, Cal and magnesium on daily basis , I also dose redsea ABCD every other day .

My personal experience with H. magnifica (Ritteri) is to always run a course of cipro before introduction into the tank. I do it for H. crispa and H. malu as well. I don't do it for E. quadricolor but then again, I have not had the chance to keep a CSB or similar. Mostly regular rainbow/green ones and I'm pretty sure all were aquacultured.

My personal experience with H. magnifica (Ritteri) is to always run a course of cipro before introduction into the tank. I do it for H. crispa and H. malu as well. I don't do it for E. quadricolor but then again, I have not had the chance to keep a CSB or similar. Mostly regular rainbow/green ones and I'm pretty sure all were aquacultured.
Yep. There seems to be an undeniable link that indicates a much greater chance of success with those species and Cipro use. I wouldn't worry about it with E. Quadricolor, etc either. Thousands of generations of them aqua cultured.

I guess I will have to try , then if I see anything going wrong hopefully not I will just remove it [emoji2958][emoji2958] thank you so much all of you for the input .

Best option really is to have a dedicated tank for the SN. If you were mixing other high ends, I would give you a high sense of possibility. BWs and rainbows and high ends is very much a roll of a dice.

If you are to try, make sure you have cipro on hand. It's a pain in the butt of a process but you don't want to be caught without and waiting for delivery (Neptune has them BTW) when you are in a dire situation. 250mg per 10G , 100% WC daily with daily redose for 10 days.

All this talk of nems makes me realize I need to get off my lazy butt and get around to offering up a few and other stuff as part of my tank reorganization. 20 supernovas... is probably a few too many. hah.

in any case -- good luck.

Back