Our mission

Any luck in keeping a tank free of Bubble Algae?

Just like the subject line says, I'm curious if people have had luck keeping bubble algae out of their tank, even if making the effort from the very start of their tank. I'm talking 100% bubble algae free for let's say a 2 or more year duration- is that doable? I tried to keep bubble algae out of my new nano tank but there must've been some tiny bubbles on some of the frags or live rock that could not be detected by the naked eye, and now it's back to the tired game of finding them when you see them inside the tank and manual removal. :( It's certainly not the worst pest but still it's a negative.
I remain unconvinced o=that crabs, foxface or other critters that will eat them as I've tried them numerous times to no avail. For my new tank I'm wondering how much effort it takes to keep it bubble algae free or if it's just a matter of time until the bubble algae gets a foothold.

My tank is bubble algae free, has been for a long time. Years.
I just pop them, and have had crabs and rabbitfish eat them. Biological controls can and do work, but they are hit and miss.

IDK. But I'm just feeling a little defeated. I must have picked up your strain Bill with that goni frag!! Still doing well I might add!

My magnificent foxface eats them. I bust out the tweezers and let them float around. The foxface will eat the floating ones. The rest go in my filter sock or stuck on my mp40 where I can just pull it off.

My foxface seems to eat the small bubbles off live rock.
But he avoids the larger ones, and the ones on pipes.
Which is a big win anyway, because the ones he avoids are pretty easy to remove manually.

I have had frags from Bill, and I have had no bubble algae in my 120 tank since setup...I has some small ones in the zero edge early on, but I siphoned those out quick over a year ago.....you need to be sure you don't introduce it and if you see any remove them as soon as you see one. That's the only thing I can say....not sure that helps. good luck

The total elimination for 2-years-or-more thing, I can't say that I've made it that far. But after a stint of aggressive and long and soggy manual removal weekly for two months, I now just have to go and scrape a couple bubbles every couple months. Not perfect, but much more manageable than the mess I had before.

Arnold- thanks for defending my frags in that they're not full of bubbles. :) Sorry Dave if I gave you my bubble algae- I've tried 2-3 foxfaces (1 spot type) and they don't touch that type at all, whether whole or popped.
I'm going to try my best to prevent them from getting into my tank, but if they do I'll pay a mint for a foxface that eats them.

Of course I was just kidding. But seriously - it must have been from one of you other jokers then ;)

Funny thing is my population is waning as of late. I got these long handled tweezers that work wonders. And I mine the MP 40's every few days. I never really felt like the "problem" was due to a fault as much as it was just a natural progression in my tank.

Back