Reef nutrition

Banggai Cardinal from AC not eating

What do you guy's thing I can give to my Cardinal to start eating. I bought it on Sunday from Aquatic collection and is not even trying to eat. I tried frozen Mysis, Frozen Brine, 2 different pallet food as well as flakes.
I just don't want him to die of starvation... And hopefully make it out from my quarantine tank into the main display tank.

Try live baby brine shrimp. If you have access to live worms (I think ac sells them) try that. Also try feeding whole Large mysis with the lots of flow on. Finally I have found sustainable aquatics hatchery pellets (brs sells them) gets fish eating

They should eat mysis, so my guess is they are not eating because of stress from something.

Check Ammonia and Nitrite levels carefully. Ammonia levels are a very common problem in QT.
Make sure there is a real flow in QT tank, not just a bubbler, but not some huge powerhead either.
Add some large PVC pipes for places to hide.
Turn down the lights.
Siphon out uneaten food.

They could be not eating because they were cyanide caught.
If so, they will likely sadly starve and die.
But there is no way for you or AC to test for that, and nothing you can do about it but hope.

This is my quarantine system.
IMG_5864.JPG
The light is yellow but is alright. I have 2 rocks and a chromis fire fish and a cardinal there. The other 2 fishes are eating with no issue.
The fire fish I bought it from a different place. Did not know that at AC you can ask them to see if they are eating.

does it even try eating - and spit out. Check to see if it open mouth for any eggs or babies. These fish hold babies in the mouth.

AC alway feed fish if you ask them. I almost bought the Achilles last Saturday, it the most active and healthy Achilles I seen at the store in for sale tank.

does it even try eating - and spit out. Check to see if it open mouth for any eggs or babies. These fish hold babies in the mouth.
He is to small I think to have babies. He is not even going to get the food if is flying around him in the tank.

I just saw today it has white poop... I have some medicine like API General cure and API E.M Erythromycin.
Is it also stringy? In any case could very well be internal parasites try general cure bound with focus to food:

Using a shot glass:
  • 1 scoop (~ 1/8 teaspoon) of medication (General Cure or Fenbendazole + Metroplex)
  • 1-2 scoops Seachem Focus (this makes it reef safe + binds the medication to the food)
  • 1 Tbsp food (preferably pellets or frozen food)
  • A pinch of Epsom salt to help expel dead worms/parasites
  • A few drops of saltwater or fish vitamins
  • Stir until a medicated food slurry has been achieved.
  • Feed after soaking for 30 mins.
  • Refrigerate or freeze any leftovers for future use.
  • You can feed this mix 1-2 times per day. Not recommend to exceed 2 feedings per day with medicated food.
  • Feed daily for 2-3 weeks, or until poop returns to a solid brown or green color (no white).

Thnx for the advice @pbh-reef. I usually did add general cure with the food but no Seachem focus. The problem is that he is not eating the food... The Chromis (from AC) that has parasites cuz I see he has a sinken belly is eating and the fire fish (from Luckey Ocean) area eating. The fire fish is healty no issues.

I have no idea why I was so dumb and got the chromis and cardinal like this. I basically did not even see the chromis and cardinal until I got home. Cuz the kid that fished them, he just went and got them and that is all, then I went to pay and did not see them clearly.

I got some Prozipro from @jccaclimber and I will see if that helps. I will just use that for like 3 day's and I hope it will get better.

Prazipro sounds like a good plan.
If someone gave it to you, that is fine, but double check expiration date. Old already opened medicine may not be so effective.

QT system looks great.
But as always, check ammonia daily, at least for the first week. You never know how well bio filters will work.

Poop is a good sign that they might actually be eating a bit.
The fish might be afraid of you, and start eating a bit once you leave.
I notice in picture the cardinal seems to be hiding in the corner, far from you.
Does it rush to the corner when you come in the room?
If so, tape some dark paper on the front of QT.

Back