Kessil

Be careful who you invite over........

nanoguy

Supporting Member
A buddy of mine got a knock on his door from the Belmont police at 3:30 am last weekend. The officer asked him if he knew the two gentleman that he had just apprehended (the guys were cruising around his neighborhood/block). The reason the officer approached his home was because my friend's address was on the suspects GPS system. At first, he had no idea who these guys were until he realized that one of them was the guy that picked up some corals from him the week before! Long story short, an investigator contacted my friend again yesterday with some more questions. The officer was hesitant to give out any specific details about the case but he believes that these guys had intentions to break into my buddies house to steal.............well, no one knows what they wanted to steal. Just something to think about the next time you have a stranger over to pick up a frag or something.

orientalexpress said:
That one of the main reason i don't like to sell frags.

lapsan

But if you give it to BAR members, they are lazy to pick it up or lazy to carry it home. LOL.

Thats why I do not let many people over to my house. I simply do not trust people until I have met them out and about; and/or screened them on the megans law website ;)

How did your friend connect with the culprits in the first place? Might want to rethink that connection. Tony has the best plan, unless they are people with history, (BAR members etc.) I'd meet them at Pete's Coffee or the like. As much as I like to show my tank, I reserve viewings for people that are known to me or as least "track-able" :cool:

Thanks much for sharing the story. Valuable to know, especially since Belmont is "right next door".

slim_jim989 said:
I just have my shotgun by the door and a pistol upstairs with me I don't trust anybody and if there in my house it's fair game.

Better shoot to kill as if you just hurt them in CA, expect a lawsuit and expect to loose. The "house is a castle" clause is not in effect in CA.

nanoguy said:
A buddy of mine got a knock on his door from the Belmont police at 3:30 am last weekend. The officer asked him if he knew the two gentleman that he had just apprehended (the guys were cruising around his neighborhood/block). The reason the officer approached his home was because my friend's address was on the suspects GPS system. At first, he had no idea who these guys were until he realized that one of them was the guy that picked up some corals from him the week before! Long story short, an investigator contacted my friend again yesterday with some more questions. The officer was hesitant to give out any specific details about the case but he believes that these guys had intentions to break into my buddies house to steal.............well, no one knows what they wanted to steal. Just something to think about the next time you have a stranger over to pick up a frag or something.

Back when the club formed there were several homes robbed right after some one selling frags out of their house. I also recall a home invasion.

I know it flies in the face of the spirit of the club but I'd never let a mass of reefers come visit my tank. No tank tour for me thank you :)

GreshamH said:
nanoguy said:

Back when the club formed there were several homes robbed right after some one selling frags out of their house. I also recall a home invasion.

I know it flies in the face of the spirit of the club but I'd never let a mass of reefers come visit my tank. No tank tour for me thank you :)
Didn't your apartment got rob last year?Tank tour is great to meet everyone at club,plus everyone on the list is pretty cool ,i figure most reefers is care enought about ocean and livestock is good enought for me.:)

lapsan

That's what the guys felt that got robbed several years back. They felt they could trust the guys. BAR members are people and people you may feel you know to the core, but it's highly unlikely you really do. I don't share large chunks of my history with people ;)

No my house was robbed but not for reef stuff and not because I showed some one my reef or sold frags. House get robbed, it's a fact of life. My car was broken into as well, just a few weeks prior.

it's hard when there's no one out there to respect others properties. no matter how badly you need something, there's always a way to earn it. I despise people who don't respect others properties, down to just nicking their door when you open yours in a parking lot.

sorry to hear about what happened.

GreshamH said:
slim_jim989 said:
I just have my shotgun by the door and a pistol upstairs with me I don't trust anybody and if there in my house it's fair game.

Better shoot to kill as if you just hurt them in CA, expect a lawsuit and expect to loose. The "house is a castle" clause is not in effect in CA.

Yeah but if you shoot to kill, then you get the family members of those killed suing you. You can't win. Might as well leave out some milk and cookies, but make sure you have a warning that the cookies may have been made in proximity nuts of some kind so those with a nut allergy should not eat either!

That news is really disturbing. I'm sorry your friend almost got burglarized, and horrified that it might be as a result of reef-keeping. Fortunately, the people I have met through reef clubs have been good people, caring about their marine organisms and other humans.

Back