Our mission

Beginner reefer seeking advice

ryanraff

Supporting Member
Welcome to the world of reefing, @elee901 ! I'm posting this to give my friend a boost as he ventures into his new hobby and to introduce him to the BAR community. I hope this thread can assist in getting him started and address some initial questions, particularly regarding the setup of a nano tank. While I have experience with larger tanks, any recommendations you guys have to start him off on the right foot are welcome!

Projected tank size: 16g nano

Fish: Still undecided

Corals: LPS & softies

Thanks everyone for taking the time to welcome him into the hobby and this great community!

Thank you Ryan!

Hi all! Glad to be part of the community. A little bit about myself - I'm a 29 year old living in San Francisco. This will be my first time setting up a saltwater aquarium but I do have lots of experience taking care of other pets (hamsters, chameleons, praying mantises, birds, ant farms etc). Ryan showed me his tank and it inspired me to start my own.

I'm mostly in my research phase now, but within the next month I'm looking to set up a 16g Bio cube. I like the all in one set up and it doesn't seem like it would take too much space in my condo.

I've read the tank can fit 4-5 fish and haven't fully decided what to get. I really wanted a green spotted puffer but I read they don't get along with other fish. So far, I'm thinking of the following:

Fish & Animals:
1. Ocellaris Clown
2. Blue Tang
3. Goby (exact species TBD)
4. TBD
5. TBD

Also planning to throw in some sea snails, a sea hare and a fire shrimp or two.

Coral:
No idea yet. I really like the look of Zoas and Duncan Coral

Any advice on compatible coral / fish is welcome!

Thank you Ryan!

Hi all! Glad to be part of the community. A little bit about myself - I'm a 29 year old living in San Francisco. This will be my first time setting up a saltwater aquarium but I do have lots of experience taking care of other pets (hamsters, chameleons, praying mantises, birds, ant farms etc). Ryan showed me his tank and it inspired me to start my own.

I'm mostly in my research phase now, but within the next month I'm looking to set up a 16g Bio cube. I like the all in one set up and it doesn't seem like it would take too much space in my condo.

I've read the tank can fit 4-5 fish and haven't fully decided what to get. I really wanted a green spotted puffer but I read they don't get along with other fish. So far, I'm thinking of the following:

Fish & Animals:
1. Ocellaris Clown
2. Blue Tang
3. Goby (exact species TBD)
4. TBD
5. TBD

Also planning to throw in some sea snails, a sea hare and a fire shrimp or two.

Coral:
No idea yet. I really like the look of Zoas and Duncan Coral

Any advice on compatible coral / fish is welcome
4-5 fish is probably too many for a 16G and you want to be sure that you start VERY slow in a tank of that size with no more than two fish for a couple of months.
Blue tang needs a 75 gallon plus and even at that size would need rehoming eventually. There are no tangs that will work in a 16g.

Welcome @elee901 ! Highly recommend reading up on "nano fishes" to see what would be an appropriate choice for the tank. Probably 1-2 captive bred clownfish like Bruce mentioned, some Trochus snails, and blue leg hermits for now only. That's it. I started my own personal tank with a similar nano and quickly found it's a great way to learn, but limiting in what you can get.

You can however choose a wide range of what are considered starter corals.

At this point you're learning how to keep the tank and it is a little different than keeping other pets.

Definitely keep asking questions, keep an open mind to advice here (we're trying to just help you prevent the same mistakes we've made!), and consider becoming a supporting member.

Also we all want you to succeed if this is something you enjoy! Don't take anything as heavy criticism; it's all constructive advice.

Welcome to the hobby, I second the fact you can meaning it's possible but no way should you have 4 fish in a biocube 16. It would be cruel to the fish and be a nightmare to keep things in balance with that kinda bioload. You maybe able to get by with a pair of the smaller clown fish species and if you haven't considered them a shrimp of some kind. (Some are very cool) of course this doesn't meant you can't have snails and small hermits as well.

I know space is a issue but I would say if you haven't actually bought your tank yet, consider the biocube 32. I know it's a bit bigger. The plus would be easier to maintain levels with more water volume.
If you kept the fish small you could in time have 4 smaller fish. More room for corals which you will most definitely want more of once you jump down this rabbit hole.

With a smaller tank overall my advice would be reaserch everything before you buy it A quick google search will save you headaches when you see something cool at the fish stores.

Welcome!

Two initial thoughts after reading your post. First, look into the Innovative Marine Fusion 15 tank. IMO, much more aesthetic and nicer than the bio cube.
Second, really take your time when deciding what to add into the tank. With a nano, the wrong decision on a fish or coral can affect the whole tank.

Personally I keep two clownfish in my 15 gallon and have chosen not to add anything else other than CUC. If I did add something it would likely be a small goby or bottom/rock dweller.

Best of luck, and don’t be afraid to ask any questions you might have.

Last edited:
Welcome!

Two initial thoughts after reading your post. First, look into the Innovating Marine Fusion 15 tank. IMO, much more aesthetic and nicer than the bio cube.
Second, really take your time when deciding what to add into the tank. With a nano, the wrong decision on a fish or coral can affect the whole tank.

Personally I keep two clownfish in my 15 gallon and have chosen not to add anything else other than CUC. If I did add something it would likely be a small goby or bottom/rock dweller.

Best of luck, and don’t be afraid to ask any questions you might have.
Second the IM 15 if you’re dead set on the Biocube 16. Neptune Aquatics has them in stock to save yourself the $29 S&H fee online. It also has its own line of products that are compatible so will be easier than figuring out the biocube.

Second the IM 15 if you’re dead set on the Biocube 16. Neptune Aquatics has them in stock to save yourself the $29 S&H fee online. It also has its own line of products that are compatible so will be easier than figuring out the biocube.
Petco also has the biocube in stock usually. The biocube 16 is what started me off in this hobby.

Petco also has the biocube in stock usually. The biocube 16 is what started me off in this hobby.

I just checked online at Petco and it’s not showing any stock. Also looks like they’re marked on Clearance, maybe they’re trying to clear them out? I have seen them in stores a while ago. @elee901 be worth checking in store to see if they’re on clearance and theyre just now showing stock online.

Welcome to the hobby, and it's a pleasure to meet you!

4-5 fish is probably too many for a 16G and you want to be sure that you start VERY slow in a tank of that size with no more than two fish for a couple of months.
Blue tang needs a 75 gallon plus and even at that size would need rehoming eventually. There are no tangs that will work in a 16g.
Seconding this advice, particularly regarding the blue tang. Tangs are gorgeous, active fish, and a big part of why people want them are because of that activity - but that also means they're very athletic, and need tank length to swim. Generally speaking, the minimum tank size recommended for tangs to be happy (rather than just survive) is ~4 feet in length (though some people claim success with small bristletooth tangs in a 3' tank), and tangs such as yellow or blue hippos are probably better suited to 5-6'+. You'll see a lot of memes about the Tang Police, but - speaking for virtually everyone in the club here - that advice is because we're advocating for the health and happiness of the fish first and foremost.

The Biocube 16 and IM Nuvo 15 are both excellent starter tanks, and I'd also suggest considering the Fluval Evo 13.5 in that size range. Starting with a nano tank (I did!) is both a curse and a blessing. It's a curse because a smaller water volume means changes happen much faster (and there's a maxim that 'nothing good happens fast in a reef tank') and you have to be more on top of maintenance. It's a blessing because, when/if you scale up, managing a larger tank becomes exponentially easier.

For choosing fish, I'd suggest checking out iGreen's nano fish guide as well as eatbreakfast's post, titled 'Will your fish plan work?', on Humblefish. I'd also suggest going and seeing fish in person, since online pictures can be deceiving. And never be afraid to ask for help here: every single one of us started where you are, and I'm a firm believer that no question asked with the honest intent to learn is ever a dumb question. :)

Thank you all for the advice! Didn't expect this many replies! :)

I'm pretty dead set on a tank size in the range of 10-20g due to limited space, but not on the model! I like the sleek look of the Innovative Marine Fusion 15 tank and I see it's about 3 times cheaper than the bio cube. Is that just because it doesn't come with lighting? If I would need to get my own lighting, what would be a good light to fit with it?

My takeaway here is that I need to lower the number of fish in the tank. It's very important to me that the fish are given a good home, so thank you for letting me know! I was watching some videos yesterday and saw an alternative to the blue tang was the Yellow Tail Damsel. I'll take a look at the fish lists you all provided and try to curate a new list

Also another question - Should clown fish be bought in pairs? And will they fight if they aren't the same exact species? I'm seeing mixed information online

Last edited:
Welcome to the hobby, and it's a pleasure to meet you!

Seconding this advice, particularly regarding the blue tang. Tangs are gorgeous, active fish, and a big part of why people want them are because of that activity - but that also means they're very athletic, and need tank length to swim. Generally speaking, the minimum tank size recommended for tangs to be happy (rather than just survive) is ~4 feet in length (though some people claim success with small bristletooth tangs in a 3' tank), and tangs such as yellow or blue hippos are probably better suited to 5-6'+. You'll see a lot of memes about the Tang Police, but - speaking for virtually everyone in the club here - that advice is because we're advocating for the health and happiness of the fish first and foremost.

The Biocube 16 and IM Nuvo 15 are both excellent starter tanks, and I'd also suggest considering the Fluval Evo 13.5 in that size range. Starting with a nano tank (I did!) is both a curse and a blessing. It's a curse because a smaller water volume means changes happen much faster (and there's a maxim that 'nothing good happens fast in a reef tank') and you have to be more on top of maintenance. It's a blessing because, when/if you scale up, managing a larger tank becomes exponentially easier.

For choosing fish, I'd suggest checking out iGreen's nano fish guide as well as eatbreakfast's post, titled 'Will your fish plan work?', on Humblefish. I'd also suggest going and seeing fish in person, since online pictures can be deceiving. And never be afraid to ask for help here: every single one of us started where you are, and I'm a firm believer that no question asked with the honest intent to learn is ever a dumb question. :)
With regards to the Fluval Evo 13.5, I see that one is an all in one and is longer than the bio cube. Longer is better right? I was reading that fish prefer the horizontal distance more than vertical height. I see it also doesn't have an automated timer for the day night cycle. Is that a pretty important factor? I'm usually home around sunrise and sunset, but I would imagine it would get inconvenient having to be there physically every day.

I'm pretty dead set on a tank size in the range of 10-20g due to limited space, but not on the model! I like the sleek look of the Innovative Marine Fusion 15 tank and I see it's about 3 times cheaper than the bio cube. Is that just because it doesn't come with lighting? If I would need to get my own lighting, what would be a good light to fit with it?

My takeaway here is that I need to lower the number of fish in the tank. It's very important to me that the fish are given a good home, so thank you for letting me know! I was watching some videos yesterday and saw an alternative to the blue tang was the Yellow Tail Damsel. I'll take a look at the fish lists you all provided and try to curate a new list
Part of the price difference is likely due to the lights, but I also believe that (and this is my guess) Innovative Marine is likely trying to offer these low cost options as loss leaders/first tanks to get them to buy into their ecosystem.

Neither is a bad choice, but I caution that you will likely want to upgrade the lights on a BioCube at some point if it's your main display. As for lights on the Nuvo - keep in mind light is a loaded topic, since everybody has their own preferences and biases.

AI Prime 16HD is a solid, cheaper option. This was my first light and I loved it.

Kessil A160 is another good manufacturer. They're known for their shimmer, though - in my experience - I don't think the colors have popped as much as they have with my Radions.

Radion XR15 is likely the 'premium' option, but Radions are my light of choice. I love the colors and love the ecosystem.

There's a lot of choices -Noopsyche, ReeFi (which is positioning themselves as a competitor to Radions), Neptune Sky - but my recommendation would be to try and see the lights over tanks in person. If possible, try and see the tanks under a range of different lighting intensities and light temperatures as well.

With regards to the Fluval Evo 13.5, I see that one is an all in one and is longer than the bio cube. Longer is better right? I was reading that fish prefer the horizontal distance more than vertical height.

I'd say it's safe to say that more active fish may prefer the length, but there's nothing inherently bad about cube vs peninsula. For example, my watchmen goby never ventures more than five or six inches from its burrow in a 200g.

Also another question - Should clown fish be bought in pairs? And will they fight if they aren't the same exact species? I'm seeing mixed information online
Yeah the biggest price difference is the lack of a light for the Innovative Marine tank. But honestly you can find a better light like @IOnceWasLegend mentioned! Other budget options are the Nicrew 50w light or a reliable Kessil A80 with a gooseneck mount for a tank that size. The Kessil will just need an old school timer to turn off and on, but they're built really well (and a club sponsor).

Clowns you want the same species of (they can look different color pattern wise but need to be of the same species, and perculas can be mixed with ocellaris). You can start with one and and one later if it's a juvenile or small male, but don't have more than two. Definitely try to get them from local fish stores too.

Yeah the IM 15 is likely cheaper due to the hood/lighting. But it’s a good quality tank and I agree with @IOnceWasLegend that they’re more to introduce you into the ecosystem as they also make a lot of products designed to work with it. You can get the bundle kit for $99.99 at Neptune Aquatics to avoid the higher price online. They make a screen lid for it that is I believe $29.99. Mesh lid is better imo. For the light, if you’re on a budget Nicrew HyperReef 50W is a good option. Middle would be AI Prime 16. Higher end I’d go with Radion XR15. There’s no stands designed for this tank but there’s plenty that’ll fit if you need recommendations.

The Noopsyche K7 mini light is an absolute steal for the price, has great spectrum and pop, and looks pretty classy. The software isn't the easiest but once you set it, you shouldn't need to mess with it again. I have one of these on my Fluval 13.5g (when it's running) and it's a great budget option for a small tank.

I like the Fluval 13.5 quite a bit - but the stock light is total junk. I'd also recommend getting the drop-in thingy for the AIO chamber, makes it really easy to just use little wads of poly as a filter:

It's a really nice little tank!

Back