Neptune Aquatics

Biota Captive Bred Yellow Tangs

SupraSaltyReefer

Supporting Member
Was curious about the Biota captive bred Yellow Tangs so I bought a pair. Just wanted to share pics. These guys are tiny at 1”. Anybody else have experience with them?

547D4855-D5E6-45B4-B127-00AF7B0A1380.jpeg

BDD55D1D-9F12-4C1B-9B50-C0ECC8DE77FE.jpeg

51488264-4CF2-43DD-AE55-5E6D716A498C.jpeg

70195D4E-702E-4E09-8ED3-542BDE68E7C8.jpeg

76906851-9BAF-4F99-A12B-53DC2C85120D.jpeg

No personal experience but just wanted to point out that it is normal for small juveniles to be translucent like that as far as I know.

Since this is likely the future of our hobby, I’ll be interested to see how it goes.

No personal experience but just wanted to point out that it is normal for small juveniles to be translucent like that as far as I know.

Since this is likely the future of our hobby, I’ll be interested to see how it goes.

It would be great if all of our fish were captive bred. Hopefully, advancements within the hobby accelerate that initiative. I have pair of 5 month old captive bred Marine Bettas as well and they have been doing great.

It would be great if all of our fish were captive bred. Hopefully, advancements within the hobby accelerate that initiative. I have pair of 5 month old captive bred Marine Bettas as well and they have been doing great.
Have they been reef-safe good citizens in your experience? I love that fish but my worry is that they would eat small fish and shrimp.

Another huge advantage of captive bred fish from reliable sources like Biota is that they should be disease-free, even more reliably than the folks who quarantine/treat wild-caught fish.

Have they been reef-safe good citizens in your experience? I love that fish but my worry is that they would eat small fish and shrimp.
They are still juveniles at 2” so they are not a threat yet. They have only been eating pods and frozen mysis. I previously had a 6” adult that was a model citizen and didn’t eat my shrimps.
6D819BE9-C1BA-4EED-A4FE-C739600E5801.jpeg

Reactions: JVU
Another huge advantage of captive bred fish from reliable sources like Biota is that they should be disease-free, even more reliably than the folks who quarantine/treat wild-caught fish.
I actually got these Marine Bettas from a local breeder in Fremont. He sells them to Biota. I'm sure they QT them before they resell, hence the added cost.

I'm trying to get a Rabbit Fish from Biota (via Algae Barn) but they claim they're having trouble getting fish out of their facility in Palau, so it will be a few weeks...

I actually got these Marine Bettas from a local breeder in Fremont. He sells them to Biota. I'm sure they QT them before they resell, hence the added cost.
I’ve never heard of Biota buying from other small-time breeders. Quite frankly pretty skeptical that that’s the case.

I have never had a tank without a Marine Betta. I currently have two. I have never had one bother any fish, or frankly even a shrimp. My current tank ahs (as noted the two Bettas) and three small shrimp. The only issue with Betta's is they can be tricky to feed. Not because of what they eat, but because of how they feed. They won't get in there and compete with other fish for food. They eat slowly and in an "ambush" style slowly approaching food on the sand bed.

Where did you get them from? I’ve been trying to get a captive bred yellow tang for a while now.
I bought them directly from Biota. They have been sold out for awhile but some were available last week. https://shop.thebiotagroup.com/products/hawaiian-yellow

I did notice Algae Barn does sell Biota YT for less, but they haven't been in stock for awhile. https://www.algaebarn.com/shop/captive-bred/fish/tangs/yellow-tang/

Don't buy from Live Aquaria, the price is significantly higher.

I bought them directly from Biota. They have been sold out for awhile but some were available last week. https://shop.thebiotagroup.com/products/hawaiian-yellow

I did notice Algae Barn does sell Biota YT for less, but they haven't been in stock for awhile. https://www.algaebarn.com/shop/captive-bred/fish/tangs/yellow-tang/

Don't buy from Live Aquaria, the price is significantly higher.
Thank you. Liveaquaria was the place I kept checking and wow is it marked up there.

Biota let me add to cart/pay and I received a confirmation e-mail, but nothing about shipping yet. Guess we'll wait and see!
Nice, it looks like they are available again! You'll get another email tomorrow asking you what day you want it shipped out.

It'll read......
"Thank you for your order and for supporting aquaculture! I just wanted to check what day works best for you to receive your order? We ship out Monday- Thursday every week.
Please let me know if you have any questions or if I can help you out with anything else."

@svreef - they are available again!

Back