Bolick's 55gal mixed reef

H2OPlayar

Supporting Member
Sounds like you need to dump some cheap dried flakes and pellets in! Haha

Edit: nope, its more frozen food you need, I knew I got it backwards

Last edited:

H2OPlayar

Supporting Member
I think Randy recommends frozen for higher NO3/PO4 unfortunately! I wonder why pellets tend to be higher in PO4 - bone meal as filler?
Phosphates, in particulate Polyphosphates, are often used as a preservative for foods, especially for flake, pelleted and ground (coral foods) products.

Bolicks

Supporting Member
Small picture update:

Looking good overall! Full sized skimmer and fuge making nutrient control much easier than the biocube. Tank starting to fill out, especially after the swap! Now, I just need to patiently let things grow in :)

Also, any way to change the name of this thread? Would like to have it reflect the upgraded tank.

FTS:

IMG_2184.jpg

Budding euphyllia garden (thanks @svreef for the hammer and frogspawn from the swap!)

IMG_2189.jpg

How compatible are torches/hammers/frogspawns when it comes to touching each other?

IMG_2193.JPG

Favia encrusting:

IMG_2185.JPG

Budding monti rock (Mostly from @Coral reefer IIRC)
IMG_2186.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2185.JPG
    IMG_2185.JPG
    100.3 KB · Views: 10

Bolicks

Supporting Member
After using the PAR meter, it seems that I need to turn my lights up!

PAR map at 40% blue/40% white/40% royal on 2x AI sol (This is what the tank's been on for the past couple of months)
40par.png

PAR map after turning up to 80% blue/80% white/80% royal on 2x AI sol
80par.png

Spread seems OK, but I definitely need to get closer to the second setup. Recommendations on how fast I should bring the intensity up?

Coral reefer

DBTC Officer
BOD
After using the PAR meter, it seems that I need to turn my lights up!

PAR map at 40% blue/40% white/40% royal on 2x AI sol (This is what the tank's been on for the past couple of months)
View attachment 29508

PAR map after turning up to 80% blue/80% white/80% royal on 2x AI solView attachment 29509

Spread seems OK, but I definitely need to get closer to the second setup. Recommendations on how fast I should bring the intensity up?
I would suggest getting to 70 w, 85 b, 100 rb. I’d go up maybe 5 on each channel per week or two

Bolicks

Supporting Member
Seeing more clown-on-clown aggression than before, even though the smaller male appears to be submitting. The female seems to have taken a decent chunk out of the male's tail... Should I intervene or let the pairing behavior continue?

Squist

Supporting Member
From what I see in my clowns, normal. Tail webbing grows back : ) Just tonight, watching a 5x-size female harassing the male, the male deked and dodged and came back and nipped her tail when she wasn't looking. They remind me of my cats.

Bolicks

Supporting Member
From what I see in my clowns, normal. Tail webbing grows back : ) Just tonight, watching a 5x-size female harassing the male, the male deked and dodged and came back and nipped her tail when she wasn't looking. They remind me of my cats.
Reassuring to hear :) mean little fish!

Bolicks

Supporting Member
Seems like the clowns have mellowed - they're semi-peacefully sharing the anemone now. Remarkably, the male clown's fin has healed and re-grown completely in only 10 days!