Reef nutrition

Bolick's 55gal mixed reef

Jealous of the pukani! The deal was probably all in that rock. If you can even find it for sale nowadays, most people are charging at least $10/lb if not more.

Good luck with the setup!

The controller can be annoying, but is actually worth something since they aren’t made anymore and the lights are still working. I use those same lights still

Jealous of the pukani! The deal was probably all in that rock. If you can even find it for sale nowadays, most people are charging at least $10/lb if not more.

Good luck with the setup!
Very excited about it :) I'll probably have extra to recoup some costs (or trade), it was absolutely packed with rock.

The controller can be annoying, but is actually worth something since they aren’t made anymore and the lights are still working. I use those same lights still
Yep, I remember from seeing your tank. What intensity do you run yours at? Also, have you tried hooking them up to an Apex VDM module?

Keeping the pukani in 20 gallon bins with a powerhead and heater right now - should I add an airstone for oxygenation? Should I "feed" the LR?

dKH (switched to Hanna Checker) - 7.6
Ca- 460
PO4 - 0.15 (argh)
NO3 - 7.5
Mg - 1350

Getting some tissue necrosis on a pink stylo from @Coral reefer unfortunately. Took some frags - hope one makes it... Not sure what's going on with it - other stylos and montis doing well. Pic of necrosing frag below (probs wasn't even worth fragging)

IMG_1965.JPG

Still working on raising dKH with baking soda - working pretty nicely! Will have to get doser setup to mitigate overnight swings, as I'm currently manually dosing the soda ash.

Last edited:
This STN seems to have coincided with manual alk dosing (2x per day) - are these alk swings likely to cause issues? Wondering whether I should stop Alk dosing for now (or do it spread over the day via doser) and just W.C. when Alk~7dKH. Thoughts?

This STN seems to have coincided with manual alk dosing (2x per day) - are these alk swings likely to cause issues? Wondering whether I should stop Alk dosing for now (or do it spread over the day via doser) and just W.C. when Alk~7dKH. Thoughts?
If you have a doser, use the doser. Spread out dosings are way better. Also, 7 seems low to me, but consistency is more important. I shoot for 8.5 to 9 in my tank.

Last edited:
My guess is that there are large buffers of each in the rocks and sand that get turned up every so often. I have not heard of acid producing micro-organisms as a reason of alk consumption before.
Re. this - Dr. Tim mentions that nitrification (by bacteria) drops KH.
, 6:30. Still, unclear what the magnitude of this is vs. coral consumption.

Back