Kessil

BP oil did the damage to our sea... Are you upset about it? I am!

LordHelmet said:
I lumped America in the "we", I've never so much as had a drink. would the cartels be as big and as power as they are without Americas addiction to drugs? i doubt it.
same with oil. they don't pump it so they could go for a swim in it. it's supply and demand, americans consume it so they supply it. Not saying they arn't responsible.

one thing to me that i find interesting is the news talks about how big this spill is and how it's gonna kill everything and what not, the public is pretty much unaware of the gulf dead zone that we created that last i checked was twice the size of the spill.

OK it's over whelming apparent to me you are merely guessing on this now. The US is NOT the only nation that buys drugs and even eliminating our use they'd still be horribly powerful given drug abuse is a global issue. The EU consumes a lot of cocaine and that only comes from the S.A. Cartels. Did you know the cartels get 100x as much money for the same amount they'd sell here over in Japan?

The point should be, "Without it being illegal, and hence incredibly profitable on the black market, then the cartels wouldn't profit from it." I believe it is much more the black market risk/reward situation that makes it so profitable. Alcohol Prohibition is one of the main causes of the rise of organized crime in the U.S., but how many gangs sell alcohol now?

8 years of gutting Federal Regulatory agencies during the Bush years is finally showing its consequences. Whether its the MMS (Mineral Management Services), SEC, or FEMA, the results all show that without proper regulation and oversight disastrous results will occur. The mantras of "corporate self regulation" and "using market forces to control behaviors" have time and time and time again been shown to empirically not to work.

Of course, the biggest proponents of deregulation and the weakening of regulatory agencies are the corporations themselves. Their efforts at controlling our elected our officials through lobbying and unlimited campaign contributions (as well as the revolving door between corporations and the agencies that regulate them) have been extremely successful and have led us to the predicament we find ourselves in right now. The long long long term solution requires major changes to lobbying, campaign contributions, our government and, ultimately, to the Constitution itself. Efforts that will be fought tooth and nail the whole way by corporations.

I'm now going to go feed my anemones some silversides and my fish some Formula 2 before I get too fired up about all the problems out there and the need for a real revolution in this country. Serenity now. Serenity now. (Seinfeld reference)

Patrick

While Bush was not exactly the best President (in case you are wondering, this was smothered in sarcasm...), these problems have to do with both parties, going back many years. It has everything to do with the fact that if you pay a politician(s) enough money, they will get legislation for you benefit. The SEC knew of many of the problems before this mess, and the previous mess, and the previous mess, but did nothing.

LordHelmet said:
My point, was that without people consuming it. there would be no need to make it.

Duh :lol: and the environment would be better off is HUMANS never existed, but like your comment, neither are ever going to happen. Cocaine has been around longer then the cartels by a few thousand years. Ditto with Marijuana and opium.

LordHelmet said:
but you seemed to miss that.

Well that point wasn't missed, but, I can care less about pie ion the sky/WIBGI comments that just don't jive with reality.

h20player101 said:
The point should be, "Without it being illegal, and hence incredibly profitable on the black market, then the cartels wouldn't profit from it." I believe it is much more the black market risk/reward situation that makes it so profitable. Alcohol Prohibition is one of the main causes of the rise of organized crime in the U.S., but how many gangs sell alcohol now?

Some say prohibition was the main cause for the rise. Know how it was defeated? Rich people looking to knock down the amount of taxes they paid, they were the backers of the ending of it. This is why I highly suspect marijuana will be legalized and taxed. Behind taxes, alcohol fees were the largest income for the Feds back then.

LordHelmet said:
Gresham, have you ever heard that if you don't have anything nice to say, you shouldn't say anything at all. now you have.
Thanks MOM. We see the world differently. You feel for people in a company that did wrong. I do, but I know the COMPANY is responsible and the employees are not the issue. If we did not go after companies that did wrong just because we're scared of what will happen to some employees, we'd have 1,00,000 Enrons running around.

Link, the the US is not a democracy it is a corporatocracy, the government is held accountable to big $$$ not the other way around. I wish I was wrong, and I wish the folks running the $$$ could give an explanation to normal folks as to what they plan on doing with this planet when they're done destroying it, like what are their last names going to be good for when we're all eating Soylent Green.

Do I need to put a couple boys in here on "Time Out?"

Here is my $.10 on the situation:
This is a serious issue that will have negative effects for YEARS along the entire Gulf Coast and with hurricane season around the corner the risks of the slick getting caught in the Gulf Stream are very high. If that happens then the Eastern Coast, Greenland, Iceland, and Scandinavia was basically going to be in a similar situation with oil on their shores. This *could* effect fisheries and other sea dependent business and commerce. I say *could* because we don't really know what would happen if the oil hits the Gulf Stream.

My stance is a basic rule that we all grew up with ..... if you make a mess, then pick it up. Period.

Tyler

Back