Kessil

Brian & Fr Dat's 20G Softy/Nem Tank

My friend asked if I could help him set up a saltwater tank for the house where he serves as the chaplain. (I'm limited to 1 tank in my studio... how else can I manifest my multiple tank syndrome???)

He had plenty of experience keeping planted tanks, so a softy tank would be no problem for him. Planted tanks still make no sense to me.

We thought this would be the perfect opportunity to try a simple softy/nem tank. We got ourselves a basic 20g and added a heater and powerhead. I had an old Aqua Knight A029 laying around that I upgraded from, so I threw that on top. Full lid to minimize evap and topping off.

Photo from setup day - I couldn't mix enough water with my 2 buckets, so the tank stayed half full for the time being. Not used to working in volumes beyond 10 gallons...
IMG_20220113_201318.jpg

A couple days later, I brought the rest of the water and some starter corals - GSP and brown gorgonian.

Today he sent me this update. Gorgonian and GSP happy and open, and the diatom bloom is well underway!
IMG_20220121_201451.jpg

We're hoping to eventually stock:
  • Ocellaris clowns
  • 1 or 2 chromises
  • Cleaner shrimp
  • BTA (grrrr wish I had the space to grab one from the frag swap...)
  • Shrooms
Stuff I need to frag and add:
  • Maxi mini carpet - I may move my maxi mini in from the office softy jar
  • Various zoas from the 13.5 tank
  • Kenya tree (should I?)

My friend asked if I could help him set up a saltwater tank for the house where he serves as the chaplain. (I'm limited to 1 tank in my studio... how else can I manifest my multiple tank syndrome???)

He had plenty of experience keeping planted tanks, so a softy tank would be no problem for him. Planted tanks still make no sense to me.

We thought this would be the perfect opportunity to try a simple softy/nem tank. We got ourselves a basic 20g and added a heater and powerhead. I had an old Aqua Knight A029 laying around that I upgraded from, so I threw that on top. Full lid to minimize evap and topping off.

Photo from setup day - I couldn't mix enough water with my 2 buckets, so the tank stayed half full for the time being. Not used to working in volumes beyond 10 gallons...
View attachment 34881

A couple days later, I brought the rest of the water and some starter corals - GSP and brown gorgonian.

Today he sent me this update. Gorgonian and GSP happy and open, and the diatom bloom is well underway!
View attachment 34882

We're hoping to eventually stock:
  • Ocellaris clowns
  • 1 or 2 chromises
  • Cleaner shrimp
  • BTA (grrrr wish I had the space to grab one from the frag swap...)
  • Shrooms
Stuff I need to frag and add:
  • Maxi mini carpet - I may move my maxi mini in from the office softy jar
  • Various zoas from the 13.5 tank
  • Kenya tree (should I?)
Let me know when you're ready for a bta. I can snag you a green bta from my 24gal.

Also got some Kenya tree. In a small softy tank I think Kenya tree is fine as it's really easy to control and pick out/trim down any unwanted pieces.

Long overdue update: tank is doing good so far with its softies, zoas, gorgonians, and palys. Thanks to @Arvin R for the bta and gorgonian! The students definitely enjoy checking out all the cool critters when they visit the Newman house.

Fr. Dat surprised us with 3 new yellowtail damsels and they're settling in nicely. They've each found their own territories in the rockwork, which will hopefully keep them from bothering each other too much. Good looking fish, and not something I would've thought to add myself.

A couple weeks ago I threw in a blob of extra chaeto with a piece of rubble as an anchor. The anemone quickly claimed the chaeto ball as its own, so I guess that's its home now. Hasn't moved for almost a month. Strange animal...

Photo from week 6
PXL_20220305_033142062.jpg

@Apon the contrast in the photo makes it look way dark, but it's in about 100 par. Do you think I should try to give it more light? Thanks for the help!

Before it moved to its current spot, I tried setting it in the center rockwork several times, and it always walked away to some dark corner of the glass.

Back