Reef nutrition

Burst pipe - flooded bedroom - probably moving...again

Hey all,

So as most of you know, I just moved into my new place (SF) less than a month ago. That move included my 100 gallon and even water because I couldn't make new salt water at the new place. Anyways, what was a small leak in my bedroom ceiling turned into hell this afternoon. A pipe burst and 4 inches of water accumulated on the hardwood floor. Long story short, they're going to have to remove the ENTIRE hardwood floor, ceiling, sheet rock (on outside of bedroom wall) and another leak has started in the kitchen window.

The landlord was nice enough to let us out of our lease IF the place is not up to par in the next 2 weeks. It won't be done, there's no way. So it looks like I'm looking for a new place to live. Which means I'm moving everything again, including the aquarium.

AARGHHH!!!

Thanks for letting me vent, and if anyone knows any lawyers dealing with small claims, please PM me. I want to make sure I'm covering my bases.

-RS

@Greg: Yea, really. She commented how pretty it was and if I liked aquariums. I just gave a simple "yes" :)
@anathema: Thanks, I appreciate the offer!

Do you have renters insurance?
Do you feel like the landlord should compensate you for your move.
I'm sure his insurance has some liability here.

I think if he's (landlord) letting you out of the lease that easy, it is at HIS convenience.
He has to be liable for the damage to your property IMO
We had a leak (still going on) and when it started it got water into my laptop, landlord had to replace my laptop since he had been told of the leak.

@J: Thanks. Staying at a friend down the streets.
@ Both Mikes: Thanks for the offer. Might just take you both up on that.

I checked with the CA rental department (not official name) for tenants and as long as the landlord makes a "Speedy" response to fixable issues, the tenant cannot break the lease. It's a condominium complex, so it would be the HOA who would be responsible due to their negligence, and also the company that broke the water pipe is bonded so they would also be responsible. I have Homeowners insurance too.
The problem I have is that the HOA was informed of this leak a month ago and it took them a month to acually TRY to repair it. That's just pure negligence (and sloth) in my opinion.

Oh, and I just noticed my Moorish Idol nipped at my new tyree war coral!! So I'm gonna have to sell that now. They say bad things happen in 3's, so what will be the 3rd?!

When I first read the title, I assumed even worse, that it was one of your aquarium pipes that burst
and did all that damage. So at least it was not that ... for what it is worth.

They certainly would owe you for any property damage.
And you might be able to get some short term housing covered - maybe.
But it is also likely that in letting you out of the lease, it is considered a "settlement", so the end of it.

You cannot use a lawyer for small claims court.
But you can consult one before hand. Call around. Initial consultations are free.
I think there are also quite a few renters advocacy groups.

My thought unfortunately: Complain, be royally pissed off, but it is one of those bad "Sh*t happens" moments.

Sounds like there are lots of volunteers to help - use them. I would hate to see the "3'rd" thing
you worry about being loss of the tank.

When it comes to stuff like this pretty much everything is negotiable within reason.
I hope you don't have to move. That is a PITA.

So sorry to hear the news about the damage to the condo. Definitely you should keep the Rubbermaid bins for the near future. Let me know if you need help moving the tank.

I was also thinking it was the tank leak when I read the title, then I read on and thinking the guy must be the nicest landlord in the world who let you out of lease for this case :)

Do you feel not comfortable living in same place after it get fixed? How about trying to make them compensate your temporary living and property damage, move back in after everything fixed. After all moving sucks even without a reef tank.

If the hardwood floors have to be redone you really dont want your tank in there.

Back