Cali Kid Corals

Can You Help Out?

patchin

Supporting Member
I'd like to tell you about Theresa's mom, Anita Soto. She's 81 and hs late stage Alzheimers Disease. Most of the time she doesn't know who Theresa is. She needs 24 care, which includes help bathing, dressing, eating and walking and has no control of her bodily functions, if you know what I mean. She rarely recognizes Theresa.

Anita is the reason we are involved in the Alzheimers Association, which provides money for research and services for those affected by this horrible disease. On October 10 Theresa and I will again participate in the Memory Walk on Treasure Island. We'd love for you to join us. You'd still be able to get to Chabot for the meeting that day at 1PM. If you can't walk with us, would you be able to support us with a donation? You can either join us or contribute at
https://www.kintera.org/faf/search/searchTeamPart.asp?ievent=296572&lis=1&kntae296572=2F5C8368EA854FB2A7C26F5897810799&supId=0&team=3289904&cj=Y

Today an estimated 5.3 million Americans are living with Alzheimer's Disease

You can either walk 1.5 or 3 miles. There are two different routes. There is also a van that picks people up that would rather not walk the full distance.

I hope as many BAR members that can will show their support for this. One of my granddads had Alzheimers and the other had Parkinsons. Both are horrible to watch your family member go through. I'm broke but I'll see what I can cut out of my budget.

Gresh, sorry to hear your family has also been affected by this disease. Any support, no matter how big or small, is much appreciated. And, yes, it is a terrible disease. Theresa's mom is healthy as could be in every other respect. But to be healthy and not have much cognitive abilities or any memory to speak of is just the worst. Just very, very sad. And they think that only Early Onset Alzheimers is inherited. So any of us can come down with it. Now that's scary.

A little more about the Walk. Probably get there around 9 AM. There are booths of Alzheimers organizations giving away stuff. Then we walk either 1.5 or 3 miles and then eat lunch together with a band playing old rock. Food is for sale. The weather that time of year is usually very good. It makes for a really fun day for a good cause. Last year our team had 41 people walk and we raised $12,000. We'd love to have 100 team members this year! Come join us.

Well, the goal of the walk is two fold. First is to get people involved with the fight against Alzheimers, ie raising awareness about the disease. The second goal is to raise money to fight the disease. But unlike some other walks, there is no fund raising requirement to participate. You can walk without raising any money. If you raise $100, you should get an Alzheiimers t-shirt. Those that raise $1000 get special stuff (last year you got lunch and a massage, I believe).
How many of you have had a family member, or someone close to you who has had the disease?

Family members quite a few Steve.

The most disheartening is watching many of my older apartment residents go through this with family and some that have no family. It's absolutely horrible to watch many of my long term residents go from making fudge during the holidays to calling and asking what day it is to insisting the newspaper in involved a conspiracy for reporting the incorrect date.

I'll try to be there Steve. Like it was said as it gets closer please bump this thread!

Mentioned this to my mom and she informed me a good friend of our family runs this walk in Santa Cruz :)

That's awesome. I wasn't aware of a SC walk. I know of the one in San Jose and Treasure Island. Hey, sign up for our team and walk with your mom down there. Let me know if you need someone else to walk with. I'll drive down, if it's not on the same day. Would RN sponsor you??

Eileen,
That would be great! I hope it works out.

I don't think I can walk in either but I can see if RN would sponsor some one. It's cool to work for a company with a heart I tell you what.

I don't know if the walk is in SC. She just lives in SC. She does it as a full time job now I guess?

I know it can make a big difference when your company cares about this kinda stuff.
I know the two main organizers of the TI walk are volunteers, one of which lost his wife to the disease, but the Alz Association in Mt View has a fulltime staff there. Could be the same kinda thing.

For those who might be interested

Hi Team Members,
Attached is a picture of the event shirt. All registered walkers who raise $100 or more by walk day will receive an official Memory Walk t-shirt. Note: The t-shirts are an individual fundraising incentive, and each walker who qualifies will receive only one shirt.

To date we have seven members on our team and have raised $755. Last year we raised over $12,000 and had 41 team members. Can we top this this year?

CONTEST CONTEST CONTEST

The team member who raises the most money between now and August 31st will win a weekend get-away to our cabin in Russian River (sleeps 6).

Millions of Americans now have Alzheimer's disease or other dementia

Theresa & Steve

Nah, just the t-shirt, Steve. Thanks for the pic above.

Similar to Tony's request, please bump this thread up again when it gets closer. I would love to join you guys for the 3 mile walk. My great grandmother had Alzeheimer's when she reached her 90s. It was unfortunate to see what had become of her lively and always engaging personality.

Eric,
Sorry to hear about your great grandmother. It's a terrible disease. Anita used to be a painter, was a good cook and kept a perfect house. Now she just sits there and has trouble communicating at all. Here's a lesson: she went really downhill when people started taking care of her, instead of the other way around. Keep em active!
And, yes, I'll keep bringing it up.

Theresa is making an Alz wall at work and is looking for pictures of people with Alz. We would love to have pictures of any of your loved ones with the disease. Thanks

Back