Our mission

CBB eating tips?

Chrism1330

Supporting Member
I just picked up a CBB and I read they are picky eaters. Does anyone have any advice for taking care of this type of fish. I know they may not be best for beginners like me but I just couldn’t resist, I mean they look soo cool. Anyways I’ve read that they like mysis and some people mimic the way they eat in the wild by putting frozen food lodged in the rocks. I fed today and noticed it didn’t eat. What can I do to ensure it gets properly fed.

Attachments

• IMG_8038.jpeg
    IMG_8038.jpeg
    143.4 KB · Views: 50
I bought it from a Violet Aquarium. The guy told me I have to train it to eat when I asked to see it eat.
Take it back. Never buy a CBB unless it's eating in the store. A good LFS wouldn't tell you that because they know at least 95% of these die in captivity. I don't know much about Violet Aquarium but that approach is not good for the customer, the livestock, and it certainly doesn't adhere to our ideas of ethical husbandry.

Take that one back and then check with any of our store sponsors who would all show you if the fish is eating first.

When first introducing to a tank, I typically like to isolate it in its own tank for observation / QT purposes. When feeding, turn off the pump so it can become accustomed to eating in the water column. Live Brine or white worms was always highest success for me. From there, feed as much as possible. I try to feed 4x-5x a day to help fatten it up. In terms of foods, live / frozen brine, PE mysis, LRS, White worms have worked for me.

I’m sure clams + Masstick are great as well. Only speaking from my experience keeping them.

Good luck.

I bought it from a Violet Aquarium. The guy told me I have to train it to eat when I asked to see it eat.
Yeah, that's bull(expletive deleted). Some of them you can train by starting with extremely high-value foods like live blackworms or live white worms, but that's a bit difficult to do long-term and you have to hope they transition to easier-to-prepare foods. If Kenny at High Tide sells it I'd try there first; otherwise you can try to find masstick at Neptune Aquatics, or Aquatic Collection in Hayward.

The unfortunate reality is that CBBs are often extremely finicky eaters and, in my experience, fall into the mandarin category of 'expert-level because of the challenges involved in getting them to eat'. I mean this as gently as possible, especially since you're new in the hobby, but this is a good example of why it's important to research fish before you purchase them, and to always take what the LFS tells you with a grain of salt.

Take it back. Never buy a CBB unless it's eating in the store. A good LFS wouldn't tell you that because they know at least 95% of these die in captivity. I don't know much about Violet Aquarium but that approach is not good for the customer, the livestock, and it certainly doesn't adhere to our ideas of ethical husbandry.

Take that one back and then check with any of our store sponsors who would all show you if the fish is eating first.
I doubt he would take it back. He was in such a rush to close the store…

To be fair, if you hate on Violet for selling a cbb you gotta hate on all the other LFS. I've seen practically all of them churn out cbb, some on a regular basis, without regard to getting them to eat before selling. Only exception is High Tide.

I trained mine similar to how @salty_taste did. Had him in an acclimation box and used a pipette to feed live brine. After trained to recognize the pipette as a food source, mixed in frozen mysis until I weaned him on to all frozen mysis. Acclimation box helps them adjust to the environment and avoid competition during feeding time.

I doubt he would take it back. He was in such a rush to close the store…

My overall impression with violet aquarium is they are mostly a online fish retailer that allow local people to come in, they are more focused on quick turn around and sales volume, than actually caring for the animals they sale. They do have a huge variety on offer. Yet When it comes to fish I'm very hestiant to purchase one without being fully informed about it as oppossed to taking a gamble on a coral.
I would call and see if you can return it however with my experiences with violet there isn't a big chance they will take it back.
In the event the don't I would suggest keep a close eye on it. At the first sign of trouble maybe consider trying passing it on to someone more experienced with them verse just watching it die. If you notice your attempts at getting it to eat failing. I also agree with everyone else Kenny at hightide would be the best local source that you could buy with confidence from for fish.

Yeah, that's bull(expletive deleted). Some of them you can train by starting with extremely high-value foods like live blackworms or live white worms, but that's a bit difficult to do long-term and you have to hope they transition to easier-to-prepare foods. If Kenny at High Tide sells it I'd try there first; otherwise you can try to find masstick at Neptune Aquatics, or Aquatic Collection in Hayward.

The unfortunate reality is that CBBs are often extremely finicky eaters and, in my experience, fall into the mandarin category of 'expert-level because of the challenges involved in getting them to eat'. I mean this as gently as possible, especially since you're new in the hobby, but this is a good example of why it's important to research fish before you purchase them, and to always take what the LFS tells you with a grain of salt.
Yea I was aware it being picky eater I bought it anyways but now I’m having my second thoughts what if it doesn’t eat you know. I’m worried about it not eating after I try everything

To be fair, if you hate on Violet for selling a cbb you gotta hate on all the other LFS. I've seen practically all of them churn out cbb, some on a regular basis, without regard to getting them to eat before selling. Only exception is High Tide.

I trained mine similar to how @salty_taste did. Had him in an acclimation box and used a pipette to feed live brine. After trained to recognize the pipette as a food source, mixed in frozen mysis until I weaned him on to all frozen mysis. Acclimation box helps them adjust to the environment and avoid competition during feeding time.
I might give this a try thanks for the tip!

Yea I was aware it being picky eater I bought it anyways but now I’m having my second thoughts what if it doesn’t eat you know. I’m worried about it not eating after I try everything
This happens in most cases. Go by the grocery store today and get a few fresh clams. Let us know how that works. Black worms often work as well but you can get clams much faster.

Back