• Maybe...

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • CFM?

Votes: 1 4.2%

• Total voters

Srt4eric

Vice President
BOD
I've never been to CFM before. I'm wondering who else here is planning on going? Has anyone here gone to the Friday "vip" early access before? Is it worth it or do you recommend just going on the Saturday?

The Friday VIP access is new as far as I know. I think it’s Steve’s attempt to spread out the time for the market to be open since there are restrictions on number of people at a time with covid. And makes some extra green with the more expensive tickets for more valuable access. The benefit will be that you’ll have a chance to get the most sought-after items before others have a chance to snap them up. Used to be one of the perks of doing setup :)

I like going at the end of the day, then seeing who doesn't want to travel home with coral and "help them out" with last minute deals. I don't get the fanciest that way, but I also get cool things for relatively affordable. I plan on doing the same this year.
That's a great idea. Will definitely try it.

Anyone care to explain to a newbie how CFM works? It is just like farmer market but for corals? Who is selling them? Commercial vendors will show off their goods?

Anyone care to explain to a newbie how CFM works? It is just like farmer market but for corals? Who is selling them? Commercial vendors will show off their goods?
Yes. It's a coral selling convention. Usually 30ish vendors have a table with frag tanks set up and coral, Nems, etc for sale. Most of the vendors are stores, online dealers, folks that make part of their living selling, etc. along with a handful of people selling off extras they've been growing in their frag tanks. A lot of years we've had multiple Bar members split a few tables and sell as well. There will be a couple of gear companies represented as well. Reef Nutrition is usually a highlight as well as Neptune and Kessil. Chad at Reef Nutrition will be your new best friend.

For years now BAR has helped with CFM. We have had people setting up the room, and taking everything down in exchange for a table in the front entryway to promote BAR, and to raffle off dozens of items as a fundraiser. Not sure if we still do that.

I'll be going Friday VIP night or Saturday morning. Not sure yet. Have attended a few in the past. Highlight for me is the free Reef Nutrition food Chad gives out. I also try to see which vendors has the Zen Reef mushroom boxes or frag racks. Bring LOTS of cash or whatever amount you are willing to spend for the best deals lol.

You can see more details on their website or Facebook page.

Screen Shot 2021-04-30 at 2.04.11 PM.png

Yes. It's a coral selling convention. Usually 30ish vendors have a table with frag tanks set up and coral, Nems, etc for sale. Most of the vendors are stores, online dealers, folks that make part of their living selling, etc. along with a handful of people selling off extras they've been growing in their frag tanks. A lot of years we've had multiple Bar members split a few tables and sell as well. There will be a couple of gear companies represented as well. Reef Nutrition is usually a highlight as well as Neptune and Kessil. Chad at Reef Nutrition will be your new best friend.

For years now BAR has helped with CFM. We have had people setting up the room, and taking everything down in exchange for a table in the front entryway to promote BAR, and to raffle off dozens of items as a fundraiser. Not sure if we still do that.
We did not participate like usual at the last event because of COVID. We have been talking about some limited involvement for this event, but still in discussions with Steve (he has very limited space due to restrictions at the location). So nothing to report to the members yet.

I like going at the end of the day, then seeing who doesn't want to travel home with coral and "help them out" with last minute deals. I don't get the fanciest that way, but I also get cool things for relatively affordable. I plan on doing the same this year.
Yeah...that has been a good strategy if you're looking for good deals.

I was going though the vendors at the upcoming SV CFM. There are ALOT of companies I don't know of.
Me neither, are they maybe wholesale focused but do events as an additional sales channel?

I think I’m going to try and go regardless. With the timing of my entrance to the hobby I haven’t gone to any events primarily due to covid cancelling them

Okay so perhaps a stupid question but how is this diffrent from just going to Neptune and grabbing coral from one the frag tanks ?

is this like highly discounted stuff ? Like how much can I expect to pay for certain things based on your past experience?

Okay so perhaps a stupid question but how is this diffrent from just going to Neptune and grabbing coral from one the frag tanks ?

is this like highly discounted stuff ? Like how much can I expect to pay for certain things based on your past experience?
I heard its more of the harder to find higher end stiff but with good deals mixed in.

It’s like the difference between going to Whole Foods vs to a Farmer’s Market. Both are good, but in the first case you are in an individual store with a large selection buying what they offer, and in the other you are going booth to booth interacting with lots of different local farmers each of which has a smaller selection. Plus some hardware and supplies vendors.

As far as prices, I’ve never been impressed with the deals at CFM. They are fine, but not better than Neptune. The selection is skewed toward more expensive coral since they have to lug it around.

It’s like the difference between going to Whole Foods vs to a Farmer’s Market. Both are good, but in the first case you are in an individual store with a large selection buying what they offer, and in the other you are going booth to booth interacting with lots of different local farmers each of which has a smaller selection. Plus some hardware and supplies vendors.

As far as prices, I’ve never been impressed with the deals at CFM. They are fine, but not better than Neptune. The selection is skewed toward more expensive coral since they have to lug it around.

thank you for an honest review. As a side note I never bought into that Whole Foods garbage. Overpriced and over hyped.

One thing I would advise, if you are having issues with keeping stuff alive just don't go, it's a good recipe to throwing your money away as your "overly expensive" frags may end up dying on you. This is not a once in a lifetime type of thing, they have multiple events a year in Silicon Valley, so you're not going to be missing out on anything.

Also be prepared to see everything under blue lights, and I don't mean like Neptune tanks that run a bit on the bluer side, those are actually reasonably lit, but everything will be under nothing but blue lights, the deeper blue colors too. Now if that is what you normally keep your tank at for viewing, perfect, but if you have a white spectrum be prepared to have corals not look anything like they do in their frag tanks at home. Also the room will have it's lights heavily lowered, as much as they can get away with, so you'll have dark room, with bright blue lights hitting all those fluorescent proteins to make you want to buy them.

Back