Votes: 10 41.7%
  • No

Votes: 9 37.5%
  • Maybe...

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • CFM?

Votes: 1 4.2%

• Total voters
It’s like the difference between going to Whole Foods vs to a Farmer’s Market. Both are good, but in the first case you are in an individual store with a large selection buying what they offer, and in the other you are going booth to booth interacting with lots of different local farmers each of which has a smaller selection. Plus some hardware and supplies vendors.

As far as prices, I’ve never been impressed with the deals at CFM. They are fine, but not better than Neptune. The selection is skewed toward more expensive coral since they have to lug it around.
Theres also that one guy who sells super cool rocks that work as frag racks

Theres also that one guy who sells super cool rocks that work as frag racks
Yeah, I think you are talking about JesterSix. He is awesome. I commissioned him build all the rockwork in my current display tank. Plus he has supported our club on many occasions. Definitely worth checking out his booth if you go.

I wasn’t trying to be negative, sorry if it came off that way. I was just trying to describe big-picture what to expect for those who haven’t gone before. And for those of you who have gone before, it will be smaller and less crowded this time than pre-Covid due to local restrictions still in place.

If Victor doesn't know them they aren't wholesalers or retail operations. It's likely they are garage farmers and the like.
I agree, more than 50% of vendor at CFM are garage farmers. In the past, I only see Diablo and Violet red sea are LFS that participated. I seen garage shop like Legendary, EUOD in bay area, some other garage shop in Sacto and Central Valley and some LFS and garage shop in Southern Cali.

I seen a lot of nice corals are from Southern Cali vendors. Vendor in bay area does have nice corals but nothing wow me.

Jester Six has done the rockwork for many of our tanks. In my case, over the years, for 4 of my tanks. Highly recommended.
I bought 3 big structures he had sitting on his table at CFM in February of last year.
A75D028A-4EF6-4470-806F-7FD22985D21A.jpeg

I have been to CFM a couple of times.
The main plus is that they have some nice pieces not always available at local stores.
Prices are fine. Don't go expecting big discounts.
Expect a lot of people.
Expect lights to all be unrealistic royal blue / UV, for maximum pop.

So my take on CFM. I've been to 6-8 of them. For a small, regional show during normal times the selection is pretty awesome. You will have hundreds of different corals to pick from. For me I've always found great prices on stuff I normally don't see, and (no offense to Neptune) much, much lower prices than local LFS, but you have to bargain. It's a farmers market for God's sake - bargain. I promise if you come late or stay late you can haul off a huge amount of cheap corals if you bargain for a bunch at a time. No one wants to cart them home again. I have never gone and not gotten big discounts.

My normal plan of action is try to get in early by helping someone set-up. :) Then do an early spin around the room. There's dealers that will sell cheap to begin with because they want to make their "nut" back, and are worried they won't make much money. Oftern they settle down after the first hour and it's hard to get a bargain then. A couple of shows ago I hit one table up (for instance0 right at show opening. They had some gorgeous rock nems at 30-50 each. I bought ten at 15.00 each. They wanted to make sure they paid for their table right away.

Then, if you have the time, wait for the last hour. Everyone's tired, and thinking about breaking down. I promise there are great deals to be found.

P.S. Want fabulous deal??? Go to Macna or RAP and wait till the last day about 2 hours before breakdown. You can buy at 20cent on the dollar cause no one wants to cart stuff across the country again.

A couple of shows ago I hit one table up (for instance0 right at show opening. They had some gorgeous rock nems at 30-50 each. I bought ten at 15.00 each. They wanted to make sure they paid for their table right away.
I remember that. I also got a beautiful rock flower anemone the same day from the same vendor an hour after you. You went through and cleared out the prettiest ones for the best price but the left-overs were still good :) I still have that guy and he’s been great.

I remember that. I also got a beautiful rock flower anemone the same day from the same vendor an hour after you. You went through and cleared out the prettiest ones for the best price but the left-overs were still good :) I still have that guy and he’s been great.
I actually went back after that I think and tried to buy the rest, and he wouldn't budge on the price. Get there early, or get there late.

One thing I would advise, if you are having issues with keeping stuff alive just don't go, it's a good recipe to throwing your money away as your "overly expensive" frags may end up dying on you.

Generally good advice. The cheaper stuff is also usually cheaper because it is easy to keep in tanks, grows fast, and is hard to kill.

I bought a ticket for Saturday, i Have a meeting in the morning, so maybe I should go around 4 to see if there’s anything nice left at a good price

Just got back from the CFM in Sunnyvale, more high end acros than I’ve seen in years before (Acrolandias, rare CB and RR corals, even more rare BC corals like Rainbow Brite ha). The torch scene was unbelievable if you’re into that, one vendor has all the different high end torches in one tank for comparison. There were Colorado sunburst and other nems. I found 2 new micro hammer colors that I didn’t have yet (I have 6 different ones so far).

Just got back from the CFM in Sunnyvale, more high end acros than I’ve seen in years before (Acrolandias, rare CB and RR corals, even more rare BC corals like Rainbow Brite ha). The torch scene was unbelievable if you’re into that, one vendor has all the different high end torches in one tank for comparison. There were Colorado sunburst and other nems. I found 2 new micro hammer colors that I didn’t have yet (I have 6 different ones so far).
I wanted Torches! Who was the torch vendor?

See that’s the problem I have right there. If there gonna charge an arm and a leg for coral than the event coordinators can pass that expense off to the merchants.

people don’t charge admission to farmers markets. I don’t see this as being any different.

Back