Votes: 10 41.7%
  • No

Votes: 9 37.5%
  • Maybe...

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • CFM?

Votes: 1 4.2%

• Total voters
Neptune's pricing ranges from $10-1500, so yes.

It's usually more along the lines of mid tier to upper tier pricing since the vendors are there to try to make sales and profits.

along the lines of Neptune aquatics pricing ?
Lots of stuff much cheaper than Neptune's usually. There's normally vendors there with large amounts of bargain corals like Your Reef that has great stuff with "Buy Two -- Get one Free" types of things. However, lots of vendors also just bring high end stuff because they can bring less, there's a big market for it, and it garners long-term customers who transition into mail order customers.

However, the idea that the promotor of the show should not charge admission because it's called a Farmers Market is silly. It's just a name -- not a guarantee of some sort of an obligation not to charge. I am certain you weren't serious and just being sarcastic with that one.

The bottom line is it's an expensive hobby, and a lot of people that have disposable income are attracted to it. Merchants (rightly so) cater to that part of the crowd in order to make an honest living. No one's making it unfair to you by offering higher priced corals. There's lots of other routes to get coral for free or cheap.

Did limit
See that’s the problem I have right there. If there gonna charge an arm and a leg for coral than the event coordinators can pass that expense off to the merchants.

people don’t charge admission to farmers markets. I don’t see this as being any different.
the vendors do pay. it not cheap

along the lines of Neptune aquatics pricing ?
So what is "Neptune" pricing? If you mean $10 frag bin? Then no, that is not what this event does. Only vendor I saw with prices that in that ballpark in the past was YourReef and that was end of day BOGO pricing. In most vendors will typically sell mostly higher end stuff because they have a limited space supply, sure they may sell some lower end stuff, and some vendors may specialize mostly in that area, but largely this is for higher end coral clientele

See that’s the problem I have right there. If there gonna charge an arm and a leg for coral than the event coordinators can pass that expense off to the merchants.

people don’t charge admission to farmers markets. I don’t see this as being any different.

The admission is not much, but it's biggest use for an event like this is to keep away people who are looking for primarily a "$10-20/frag bin" they do not want those type of people at the event. They take up space when there really isn't much room, how many people do you think can crowd around one side of a 40 (or so) gallon tank? They want people who are serious about buying coral, and that's it, they don't want looky loos, and for that former group $15 is a small price to pay to see the corals in person that most will only see on a website.

I think the admission cost is necessary because it’s already crowded enough in there that you might wait your turn to squeeze up to the vendor booth. So makes sense to discourage non buyers (all the family and friends, and curious people who were just walking by ...)
I wanted Torches! Who was the torch vendor?
It seemed like every vendor had a torch in their tank. I think the one with like 40 torches in one tank was either Defugium or Coral Exotic IIRC looking back at the floormap.

So what is "Neptune" pricing? If you mean $10 frag bin? Then no, that is not what this event does. Only vendor I saw with prices that in that ballpark in the past was YourReef and that was end of day BOGO pricing. In most vendors will typically sell mostly higher end stuff because they have a limited space supply, sure they may sell some lower end stuff, and some vendors may specialize mostly in that area, but largely this is for higher end coral clientele

The admission is not much, but it's biggest use for an event like this is to keep away people who are looking for primarily a "$10-20/frag bin" they do not want those type of people at the event. They take up space when there really isn't much room, how many people do you think can crowd around one side of a 40 (or so) gallon tank? They want people who are serious about buying coral, and that's it, they don't want looky loos, and for that former group $15 is a small price to pay to see the corals in person that most will only see on a website.
Did limit

the vendors do pay. it not cheap

its like paying google for ad leads. It’s a small cost in comparison to the money they earn or else no one would be a vendor

This just reeks of entitlement and an elitist attitude. This is the same snobery I saw on high-fi audio forums where a bunch of Douche(s) would turn there nose to anyone who wasn’t buying 10,000 dollar speakers!

I’m sorry if I am not “high end” enough for your liking.

This just reeks of entitlement and an elitist attitude. This is the same snobery I saw on high-fi audio forums where a bunch of Douche(s) would turn there nose to anyone who wasn’t buying 10,000 dollar speakers!

I don't think that is what Mike was saying. He is saying is this event is for people looking for higher end frags. No one is turning a nose to you because of that.

Not every event is going to be geared to your liking...who’s being the snob?

Not every event is going to be geared to your liking...who’s being the snob?

This is not directed at anybody in particular, rather the statements made in general. To date I haven’t met anyone here who was a snob.

also a lot money doesn’t necessarily mean they are going to spend it. I know a lot of extremely cheap ass rich people.

Alright man, if you say so.

I could repeat what was already said about small space, people bringing their whole family, or rando non-reefers walking off the street "just to look" but you seem to have made up your mind already, so have fun :)

Alright man, if you say so.

I could repeat what was already said about small space, people bringing their whole family, or rando non-reefers walking off the street "just to look" but you seem to have made up your mind already, so have fun :)
Like I said it wasn’t directed at you but in general.

Back