got ethical husbandry?

Charlie’s 150

So I’ve been around here off and on for roughly 10 years or so. I lurk a lot and post occasionally. I actually took a long time off from this particular tank mostly out of frustration with nuisance algae and a catastrophic mistake on my part.

We moved into a new house back in September of 2014 and at that time I set up this 150 gallon tank and shut down my 65 Gallon Tank. I transferred everything over during the move. Being in a new house I didn’t have a lot of time for the tank and let it go a little bit. I ended up with some really bad hair algae and lost a lot of my corals. During the process of trying to get rid of the hair algae I tried bleaching some of the rocks. I ended up putting one batch of rocks back into the tank and they must have still had bleach on/in them. That pretty much wiped out the whole tank. That was somewhere around September of 2017. After that, I completely wiped the tank clean and reset it. Unfortunately I do not have any pics of the tank prior to the reset.

After the reset I still struggled with nuisance algae and struggled with keeping anything other than fish alive for the most part. Got frustrated again and a basically just did water charges to keep the fish alive and that was about it. I focused more on my other hobbies during this time. Here are pics of the tank after the reset and the hair algae I was fighting:

3C319F9B-D1C4-4D8C-9E24-654F116B0941.jpeg
F14960C4-0F42-4D95-8FA4-7520D2A21ED5.jpeg
70C09B9E-4A23-4069-81B2-44B22B316147.jpeg
76B3F25B-0181-4CB7-B2E7-EA345C35BDDE.jpeg
A50B6438-415F-446F-A1AE-34BBD72CABBD.jpeg

Around December of 2019 I decided to get serious about the tanks again. I started dosing Vibrant and eventually it cleared up my hair algae problems. I still couldn’t keep LPS or softies alive for any length of time and I wasn’t about to try SPS. What I could keep alive did not grow well at all. Here’s a pic of the tank around May 2020:

68F7924D-B88E-43F7-A948-FFE72DC9A9A6.jpeg

Between then and now I had a few more minor problems with nuisance algae here and there with the most recent being Cyano. I’m pretty sure my most recent problems, and quite possibly all along, have been related to extremely low nutrients. I think that was my problem with keeping corals as well. I always shot for zero phosphate and kept Nitrate as low as possible too. After I started keeping phosphate between 0.05 and 0.1 and keeping nitrate >4 I’ve been having much more success keeping and growing corals again. I have been playing whack-a-mole with nitrate and phosphate sine around November of 2020. I’ve been dosing sodium nitrate and trisodium phosphate as needed testing at least once a week.

Here are a few pics of the tank today:

EBAA4CD7-294D-4537-AF9C-BE7A002F360D.jpeg

FF1818A6-C042-4A24-A7DF-F0939120149E.jpeg

C1822174-A230-4991-A6CC-79F2D642312B.jpeg

39D17DA5-D807-4563-9198-342FB698BD8B.jpeg

Still not a lot of corals yet. I’ve been slowly adding frags since November of 2020 and trying to get the parameters stable. It feels good to be back in the saddle again. Looking back at pics from my old 65 gallon tank and looking at all of your tanks here in the Tank Journal forum really inspired me to try again. The tank is finally starting to take off and the family is starting to enjoy it again!

Here are the details on the tank:

• Equipment:
    • 150 gallon tank volume
    • 48” wide by 24” deep by 30” tall
    • DIY stand and canopy
    • Old Eshopps fuge sump
    • Reef Angel controller
    • 2 x Kessil A350
    • 2 x Kessil A360x
    • 2 x 48” T5 retrofit - 1 blue plus and 1 true actinic
    • Jebao return pump
    • 2 x Octo Pulse 4 power heads
    • Aquamaxx internal skimmer
    • BRS Dual Reactor – 1 Carbon and 1 Bio pellets (now off-line)
  • Livestock:
    • Fish
      • Yellow Tang – 12/29/2017
      • Yellow Tail Damsel – 12/29/2017
      • Snowflake Percula Clown – 10/27/2018
      • Naked Percula Clown – 10/27/2018
      • Melanurus Wrasse – 6/2019*
      • Coral Beauty – 8/2019*
      • Neon Dottyback – 8/2019*
      • Yellow Watchman Goby & Pistol Shrimp Pair – 3/2020*
      • Lyretail Anthias – 1/6/2021
      • Yellow Tail Damsel (2) - 1/15/21
      • Bristletooth Tang - (In QT) - 2/11/2021
    • Fish Wish List
      • Algae Blenny or Starry Blenny
      • Copperband Butterfly
      • Lyretail Anthias (3)
      • Spotcinctus Clown Pair - If I can manage it with the existing Percula pair
      • Zebra Barred Dartfish (3-5)
      • Pink-Streaked Wrasse
      • Yellow Wrasse
      • Orange Spotted Blenny
      • Chalk Bass (2)
      • Some sort of Hawkfish
      • McCosker's or Carpenter's Wrasse
      • Chinstrap or Black Cap Jawfish
      • Carcharodon carcharias
    • Inverts
      • Extra-long tentacle non-bubble green bubble tip anemone - Late 2017/Early 2018*
      • Sand Sifting Star (2) – 3/2018*
      • Turd Cucumber – 9/3/2018
      • Brittle Star – 9/3/2018
      • Tuxedo Urchin – 6/2019*
    • Corals (work in progress)
      • Red and Green Favia? (Med) - 2/5/2021
      • Red and Green Favia? (Frag) - 12//2020*
      • Green Favia? - 1/6/2021
      • Space Invader Chalice - 2/5/2021
      • Unknown Acro Stick - 1/29/2021
      • Goniopora - 1/22/2021
      • Duncan - 1/22/2021
      • Green Frogspawn - 1/6/2021
      • Hammer - 11/2020*
* Note sure on exact date added

~Charlie

Last edited:
first of all, congrats on the house. i bought mine in 2018 and i got lucky with how the market was. i would suggest more clean up crew to keep your algae in check. you can add a couple more fish to get your no3 up. also, since you have an anthia in there, you can feed meatier foods like frozen mysis shrimps to bring no3/po4 up as well. looks like a good restart so far. patience and time will pay off once the tank gets rolling. if the stick bug is itching to come back, let me know and ill gladly pass you a few easy ones to start with.

Last edited:
first of all, congrats on the house. i bought mine in 2018 and i got lucky with how the market was. i would suggest more clean up crew to keep your algae in check. you can add a couple more fish to get your no3 up. also, since you have an anthia in there, you can feed meatier foods like frozen mysis shrimps to bring no3/po4 up as well. looks like a good restart so far. patience and time will pay off once the tank gets rolling. if the stick bug is itching to come back, let me know and ill gladly pass you a few easy ones to start with.
Thanks, John. I've upped the feeding quite a bit since early December. 2-3 cubes of various frozen foods daily. I just started to add live phyto feast daily about 3 weeks ago. I spot feed the corals about once a week with a mixture of the usual powered coral foods. I have the anthia eating TDO pellets now so I think I want to get my Eheim auto feeder back on line this week. More fish are on the TODO list. I have a couple of fish in QT right now that I should be able to add by this weekend. Some sort of bristle tooth tang and an algae blenny are next. Definitely more Lyretail Anthias soon too.

I added a bunch of blue leg hermits recently but I think I can also use more snails. I might hit you up for some starter sticks in a month or two. I want to take it slow and get things dialed in a little more first.

~Charlie

I think you could use some more live rock for biological filtration, but glad the battle with algae is better.

I think you could use some more live rock for biological filtration, but glad the battle with algae is better.
I've been thinking about that. Especially in the middle area. More for somewhere to put corals though. The biological filtration is too good right now. I'm having to dose phosphate and nitrate a couple of times a week to keep them above zero. More fish should also help with that. I have some dry rock in the garage that I can play around with.

Glad it is working out!

+1 on more live rock in the middle there. Feels a bit empty.
But dry live rock can have nutrients in it, suggest starting to soak those now if you do plan on adding them.

Glad it is working out!

+1 on more live rock in the middle there. Feels a bit empty.
But dry live rock can have nutrients in it, suggest starting to soak those now if you do plan on adding them.
Good idea. I think I'm going to cement a few pieces together to make an arch up to the rock structure on the right. After I do that I can start soaking it in a Brute for a while. Some of the rocks came out of the tank when I crashed it but some are new and I have no way of telling the difference at this point :/

Back