Kessil

Check your Reef Crystals Salt!

[quote author=sfsuphysics link=topic=2773.msg61580#msg61580 date=1225420969]You have to remember it wasn't whitey overpopulating through fornication, it was through migration.
[/quote]

I heard that the great migration was mainly because of the desperate quest for magnesium and calcium :D

[quote author=sfsuphysics link=topic=2773.msg61580#msg61580 date=1225420969]
[quote author=mark_s link=topic=2773.msg61570#msg61570 date=1225415883]
[quote author=sfsuphysics link=topic=2773.msg61569#msg61569 date=1225415609]
Well not to completely take the blame off "whitey" but I'm sure if you introduced the modern hunting rifle to most of the native population they would have put a dent in their populations as well.[/quote]That's an interesting question. Most people believe that Native Americans didn't waste resources because they respected nature and all that. But maybe they just sucked at hunting so had to use all they could! :D
[/quote]

Not to put down the whole "one with Earth" mentality that's often attributed to many Native American tribes, but I bet in time, with technology they'd overpopulate just like us white folk and do the same thing. You have to remember it wasn't whitey overpopulating through fornication, it was through migration.

[/quote]

Google Native Americans and infanticide, hell stick a Marvin Harris in there if you'd like!

Just wanted to do a follow up. I just got confirmation of the freight shipment on 24 buckets on RC Salt from DF&S. There was no additional charge for the freight. They must have one hell of a profit margin on the salt of they are loosing their you know what.

I wish there was a LFS that would offer some sort of deal near DF&S on salt. I go through 2+ pallets a year and the last 3 LFS I have approached said they would give me like $2-3 off a bucket. It was still $15+ more expensive then DF&S. I just cannot justify supporting a LFS at that much of a premium. If it was a couple dollars a bucket I would be more open to it but not $400 more a pallet.

[quote author=GreshamH link=topic=2773.msg61238#msg61238 date=1225234300]
I did. That answer was from the horses mouth. Guess they haven't fixed that yet, but they indicated that is going away. The loose a ton of money on that option, a ton!
[/quote]

Well LFS in SF do have some salts with rates comparable to DF&S, maybe $5 more, the problem is most people don't order 24 buckets at a time, as a result that $5 adds up where as the shipping doesn't charge with DF&S. Why you can't get too much of a deal on it is due to the fact LFS tend to lose money on Salt or at best break even, just to get people in the doors.

But if your LFS is $15+ per bucket more than DF&S I wouldn't buy salt from that LFS either. I've seen the 150g buckets of salt around here depending upon store and brand anywhere from $30-40 per bucket which looking at DF&S prices now is cheaper than them! (However it's been a while since I've bought salt so perhaps the LFS have also risen in price).

I am over in the east bay so have only tried LFS out this way and they all seem to be in the $50 range per bucket (last I check, about 12 months ago). The nice thing with DF&S is I can get RC delivered to my driveway for < $33 a bucket including shipping. Even if I can save a few dollars on a bucket from a LFS, I still have to load and hual them home. My back starts hurting just thinking about it :( Now if Arnold has his way and our Sales Tax goes up to almost 10% I just dont see how I could ever buy salt from a LFS again.

Wow the price must have changed today. I just ordered it yesterday.

CD-16882 Aquarium Systems Synthetic Sea Salt Reef Crystals 160 gallon mix $31.99 x 24 = $767.76

It was funny the first time I ordered a pallet of RC from DF&S was early last year and they shipped it via FexEx. They just put a shipping label on each bucket and sent out 24 of them. I did not check to see what day they were coming and was not home when FedEx came. It was quite funny to see 24 buckets stacked on my porch :) The last three pallets I have ordered though they shipped them via freight with a lift gate truck and the driver will leave them in from of my garage.

I got my 24 buckets the other week from DF&S. Its on my hit list in the next day or two to test a few of them. I'll post the results.

Ugh, I ran out of IO salt and have a bucket of RC in my garage. I had switched back from RC when all my RBTA bleached to hot pink, after swtiching back, it took a long time but they are red again (YIPEE!) but now I've run out. Luckily, my new BOX of IO (200gallon!) just arrived, but only then did I notice this thread! I bought the RC way back in Sept 2006, I wonder if that's part of the affected batch?! I'll test the CA and see if it is.

Good ol trusty IO, it's like my Toyota Corolla. Boring, but reliable. (Except that IO and RC are made by the same people, so on one hand ... hurrah! On the other hand boo-urns!)

V

Back