Reef nutrition

Clams?

nash

so what kind of nutrients do they take out? Is there a measure effect on nutrients levels ??? I'm sure I could have found out on the net but I know one of you guys or gals will know ;)

from what I've learned through the grapevine, is that unless you have a LOT of clams, you won't really see a measurable effect on nutrient levels. I heard clamsdirect did a huge order of clams for someone's system to be a filtration solution... but I couldn't even imagine how much Ca you'd need to upkeep for that.

Clams are filter feeders so like any filter feeder (sponges, etc) they'll take out the stuff out of the water column. Now clams apparently do move quite a bit of water through their systems so are quite a bit more efficient than some. They will put a dent in nitrates but I'm unsure if that's because they actively "eat" that or if it's their filtering the water so less of that to break down in the water column.

The club had a really good talk with Barry from Clam's direct some time ago, and he mentioned that the H. hippopus was very effective at reducing nitrates, however you did need quite a few to accomplish this. Unfortunately these arguably aren't as "pretty" as other clam species.

The downside to going all clammy is that they'll suck out calcium almost as fast so you'd NEED a calcium reactor to keep up with the loss, which usually means phosphate issues as well (so some sort of phosphate removing device... I hear anthelia works great for this! :D)

Arnold does have quite a few. :D

Does anyone remember the clams underneath the display tank at old Tropical Paradise back in the day?

Hippo clams, I believe also take out phosphates and nitrates. I have a bunch of clams ( 2 of the hard to find hippos) but I am not sure how to measure the filtration they provide. Some of my clams are big and some are small. I do keep a Calcium Reactor. The new Clam book is pretty good.

The fact that you don't run a skimmer on a heavily fish-stocked tank does lend to some hypothesis that clams do make the quality of the water better.

I'd probably go with more clams myself, but not until I get a calcium reactor up and running (so basically my laziness/cheapness)

Before we kick off a clam buying spree ...

Having even that many clams does not render a tank phosphate or nitrate free (as in zero).

I've tested said water, and it was not zero. It wasn't horrible either I think it was close to 10 or 15ppm a few months ago.

Arnold does dose Kalk in addition to the clams and does regular weekly water changes hence it holds these kind of things in check.

The clams suck up Alk more than calcium. I fight a seemingly never ending battle until things stabilize with Alk. I moved over a Kalk reactor to this tank just to deal with the alkalinity issue.

True enough, Eileen has 6 clams vs my 12 in the same size tank (120). She has much more water volume while I have way more live rock work in my tank. That maybe a factor.

I do a 5 gallon weekly change and I think she does a 30 gallon change?

Also I think the type of clams make a difference too. I have 2 hippo, that hardley seem to grow. 1 crocea that seems to grow slow. 2 large gigas that seem to grow relativly quickly, 2 large squamosa, and 5 deresa all pretty small, but seem to grow well too. Her clams are 1 deresa, 1 squamosa, 4 croceas?

My tank is pretty establish as well about 4 years old now... and some of the rock and corals are about 8 years old from my older tank.

I haven't tested my nitrate so I am not sure.....but just because my 1 tank seems ok with just clams, it is in no way proof that they help alot. So for all of you who want to get more clams for filtration, read up first and maybe try to get other peoples input.

Anyone remember when someone mentioned those "Manilla" clams you could get live in asian markets are excellent filter feeders?? Wonder how many went out and bought a bunch to toss in their sandbed :)

I hear Knop koralvit F is very good for clams.. even though they dont seem to require extra nutrients, from what I have read they like the stuff a lot.

[quote author=sfsuphysics link=topic=2444.msg25058#msg25058 date=1190843064]
Anyone remember when someone mentioned those "Manilla" clams you could get live in asian markets are excellent filter feeders?? Wonder how many went out and bought a bunch to toss in their sandbed :)

[/quote]
Really,I thought they are cold water.But I can picture it now my parent will come over and pick out a few for dinner ;D They'll wonder how that purple fish would taste in blackbean sauce. ;D

Back