Jestersix

Computer Freezing

patchin

Supporting Member
My laptop keeps on freezing. I know a lot of you guys are techies. Can anyone take a look at it at the meeting today? I keep getting a message that I'm low on Virtual Memory and the computer reconfigures itself(?). I'm not real computer literate. Hoping someone can check it out before I get too frustrated and chuck it. TIA
Steve

Patchin, you probably installed too many software on there so when your system loads, it has to run all of those processes in the back ground. Also if you installed some hardware recently, the device driver might be corrupted and trying to load and using up your virtual memory. Usually computer lock up mostly tie to those two things beside hard drive failures or windows files corruption and viruses. So think back and tell us what you did recently with your computer so we have a clue on how to help you.

Recently I lost my wireless driver. Downloaded it on from my wife's and tried to install it on mine. The download said there was a problem but it got me back on line again. I then installed an up;grade to the driver. I haven't had problems getting online, just freezing.

I'm with Zepplock, windows is fine as can be, but when you start installing way too much stuff you need to shake the etch-a-sketch clean. Now I don't do it as frequently as him, however since my last re-install I've not installed as much software.

I'll start by saying I do IT work for a living. Bring your laptop and I if there is time I'll give it a once over and some tips on how to prevent it from getting worse and maybe even help you get through it. If you think you have what you need to reinstall you OS that would be a good bandaid but it comes down to how you use your laptop and your hardware limitations. What is installed does play a big part of it.

WE want to thank everyone for helping with our laptop, especially Levi and Tom. Theresa came home removed unneeded stuff from the C drive and everything seems to be working well. That's one thing we appreciate about you all, the helping attitude of everyone. Thanks again.

Still having freezing problems.. Keeps on dropping the wireless driver. Trying to delete old driver and reinstalling, but the old one still shows up on the program list. I'm clicking on add and remove programs, then teeling it to delete the old driver and it says it's finished but the driver is still on the list. Then adding new driver does nothing. Advice? Thanks

What model laptop do you have, and what are the hardware specs?

What network card are you trying to run?

What OS and what updates and service packs have been applied?

What wireless access point are you running? What encryption are you using? What security has been applied?

I had a netgear card that would lose connection if configured for WPA PSK TKIP after I applied XP sp1(?). Would only keep the connection if the network was left wide open.

If it worked ok before. Worst case would be to back up your data, and reinstall the factory image. There's probably one on a hidden partition on your hard drive.

Back