High Tide Aquatics

Corral Feeding Producsts/Schedule?

Hello everyone :),
I started this thread because I think it would be nice to know what other ppl are feeding on their reef and how often.

I've been following some of your tank journals but I wanted to see if is possible to aggregate a new coral feeding schedule and what products are you guy's using right now.

I want to buy some food for the corals but there are so many options, not sure what to use exactly.
I was thinking to buy Reef-Roids and some Rods frozen food, and do a mix of them but not sure if there are better options.

once in a blue moon I'll feed "the reef" but in general I just feed my fish. I always worry about overfeeding, and the times in the past that I've feed "coral food" regularly (don't want to name any names) I've had an algae outbreak shortly after starting, I don't mean macro algae but the powdery/small stuff.

Ditto here. I feed the fish a couple of times a day with live baby brine, live grindal worms, and occasional frozen or pellets. The few times that I’ve added reef roids, I see cyano and nuisance algae explode a few days later. The most I dose for corals is amino acids and the trace elements that are already in my alk/ca supplement.

Sooo.... this nis hard to answer because there's no one size fits all. Do you have a mixed reef? A softies and LPS? An SPS dominant? Do you have a lot of chalices or a lot of flower Nems? Do you have gonioporra?

The problem is, as reef keepers, we tend to toss in a ton of different corals and all corals are somewhat unique. Goni's eat a completely different size food then Chalices do. If you want to learn what and how to feed best then you actually have to study the types of corals in your tank and find out what size, etc that they need.

If I was looking to only broadcast feed then I'd stick with a small amount of Reef Roids only. Not because it's 'definitely" better, but it's the only small coral feed I've seen that there's been some indication it makes a difference in a somewhat scientific study. However,if I wanted to do it really, really right I'd target feed each coral with the "proper food." Goni's seen to do well with Phyto. Chalices do great with a Mysis shrimp placed on a few of it's mouths. The list goes on and on.....

Wouldn’t bother feeding corals unless you care to spot feed certain LPS. Way too much effort IMO and the risk of over feeding outweighs whatever perceived benefit you were trying to get out of feeding your corals.

I will add - Some of the nicest tanks I’ve seen existed before the time of all these coral food products. Feed the fish and whatever the corals get, they get - I go with pellets and weekly feedings of mysis/Rod’s food. Put “coral food” money toward something else.

There’s already another thread on this:

If I was looking to only broadcast feed then I'd stick with a small amount of Reef Roids only. Not because it's 'definitely" better, but it's the only small coral feed I've seen that there's been some indication it makes a difference in a somewhat scientific study. However,if I wanted to do it really, really right I'd target feed each coral with the "proper food."

Reef Chili and Reef Roids are the two that were actually studied in the past and have shown growth in a few specific species.

Here’s the study:

Last edited:
Sooo.... this nis hard to answer because there's no one size fits all. Do you have a mixed reef? A softies and LPS? An SPS dominant? Do you have a lot of chalices or a lot of flower Nems? Do you have gonioporra?

The problem is, as reef keepers, we tend to toss in a ton of different corals and all corals are somewhat unique. Goni's eat a completely different size food then Chalices do. If you want to learn what and how to feed best then you actually have to study the types of corals in your tank and find out what size, etc that they need.

If I was looking to only broadcast feed then I'd stick with a small amount of Reef Roids only. Not because it's 'definitely" better, but it's the only small coral feed I've seen that there's been some indication it makes a difference in a somewhat scientific study. However,if I wanted to do it really, really right I'd target feed each coral with the "proper food." Goni's seen to do well with Phyto. Chalices do great with a Mysis shrimp placed on a few of it's mouths. The list goes on and on.....
I am interested more about softies and LPS.

Back