Our mission

DBTC - Electric orange, green, red striped psycho shroom

Up for DBTC is a very special mushroom. It's primarily electric orange, but develops large stripes of red, green and sometimes purple as the mushroom matures. Some of you may have seen a clone of this mushroom at Aquatic Gallery. It was very striking and never for sale. Unfortunately, I heard that AG lost their mother mushroom several months ago.

Recently I saw that Aquarium Showroom has a mother and baby mushroom in one of their display tanks. It's not as pretty as the one AG had, but striking nonetheless. www.thecaptivereef.com has also been selling a few of them online.

The interesting thing about this mushroom is that it starts out solid electric orange and then develops the other colors over time. Red starts first, followed by green and then (sometimes) purple (so I have heard). The orange flouresces under actinics.

I got my original mushroom over two years ago and have grown them out since then. I now have a large colony of them and most of them have little spots or streaks of red and a few have some green splotches coming in.

Here is my colony...

Under Radium 20ks:
842442054_LXAY5-L.jpg

Under LEDs:
842442074_YA95X-L.jpg

Colony from the top. The large one on the right is my original mushy:
842442024_QFqCt-L.jpg

Couple of individuals:
842442030_o98mE-L.jpg

This one isn't mine, but is an example of what they look like when they get all of their colors in:
842473295_47EF4-L.jpg

I will have a small baby mushroom (tiny) for DBTC in 2-3 weeks time.

Rules:

1) You must be a very experienced, long timer in the hobby. (i.e.: You've been at this for 5+ years.)
2) Donate three mushrooms back before selling or trading.
3) Bump me to the top of the list if I lose mine.
4) Keep your DBTC status updated!
4) I will choose someone from this list in a week or two.

Updated original post with an example of a mature mushroom with all of its colors.

@Jim: It is a nice psammacora, isn't it? I bet everyone wishes they had a frag from Green Marine. :p

bookfish said:
Hey G, I've got this nice orange psammacora I could sell you a frag of...LOL

looking for the multi colored mushroom from Asia... got that one?

Yes! I did... I actually got a few off the rock. They had crawled onto a piece that I had epoxied on. I broke that off and did the razor trick on their feet. The one that I will be DBTCing is forming its head now. It'll be small, but it should grow up just the same. I am hoping he'll be ready by BAYMAC, which it turns out I will be attending.

Anyone else interested, please reply to this thread. I'll just roll the die on those who reply.

Sweet, your going to be at BAYMAC :)

edit: wish there was a grammar checker as well as spell checker in Firefox :lol:

GreshamH said:
Sweet, your going to be at BAYMAC :)

edit: wish there was a grammar checker as well as spell checker in Firefox :lol:

I am really excited to attend. I was originally bummed because I was supposed to be in Europe that day, but as it turns out, the trip got bumped to one week later so I get to attend. See you there for sure...

Ok, this round of the DBTC is going to Patrick. I was originally going to hand pick someone, then figured I'd go random, but I would like to give this one to Patrick because... well, I think I might have infected several of his beautiful BTAs with a strange anemone disease resulting in the loss of many of his anemones and most of mine.

Don't worry though I will likely have another soon and Patrick's a good farmer so I'm sure we'll see more of these in the club soon. :)

Patrick, pick up at Baymac?

Back