Our mission

DBTC: Walt Disney

So if there are no rules for 2nd gen frags, the person giving the 2nd gen frags can have their own rules. Okay. Great. Problem solved.

So if there are no rules for 2nd gen frags, the person giving the 2nd gen frags can have their own rules. Okay. Great. Problem solved.

Go by the original rules...

MY NEW DBTC RULES FOR HIGH END SPS:

*must be a supporting ACTIVE BAR member for over 180 days*

1. At least two frags from this acro should be offered through DBTC before you do whatever else you want with your extra frags.
2. People who have offered frags on this thread get first dibs on next frags (should something happen to theirs).
3. IMPORTANT - Must have a tank journal and reasonable SUCCESS KEEPING SPS FOR OVER A YEAR.
4. Whoever is interested please put your name down or PM me, I will pick who will will get a frag - using BarCode doesn't guarantee you a frag, but gives me an idea that you are interested.
5. Must have a 40g or larger tank and no anemones in it - no exceptions.
6. BOD members are exempt from my rules for their hard work on this forum.
7. If anyone sells their piece before completing their chain, I will revoke and stop any future DTBC and close out currently ones I have open.
8. Current contributing DBTC'ers who have over 5 DBTC chains or have put back at least 5 frags (according to BarCode) will have priority in joining my chain.

Go by the original rules...

MY NEW DBTC RULES FOR HIGH END SPS:

*must be a supporting ACTIVE BAR member for over 180 days*

1. At least two frags from this acro should be offered through DBTC before you do whatever else you want with your extra frags.
2. People who have offered frags on this thread get first dibs on next frags (should something happen to theirs).
3. IMPORTANT - Must have a tank journal and reasonable SUCCESS KEEPING SPS FOR OVER A YEAR.
4. Whoever is interested please put your name down or PM me, I will pick who will will get a frag - using BarCode doesn't guarantee you a frag, but gives me an idea that you are interested.
5. Must have a 40g or larger tank and no anemones in it - no exceptions.
6. BOD members are exempt from my rules for their hard work on this forum.
7. If anyone sells their piece before completing their chain, I will revoke and stop any future DTBC and close out currently ones I have open.
8. Current contributing DBTC'ers who have over 5 DBTC chains or have put back at least 5 frags (according to BarCode) will have priority in joining my chain.
This is great.
So just for fun let's run through the scenarios. You give generation 1 to person A. Person A has to grows it out and produces generation 2 and offers 2 frags to the chain. Now person B gets the frag from the chain from A.
What should B do with his 3rd gen frags? Follow your rules for distribution or follow person A's rules for distribution?
If you don't clearly spell out what the next step for person B, it would be confusing for him/her. I think that's what John was referring to.
I always just assumed that person A's rules applied all the way down all the generations, but I shouldn't assume anymore.

Ok guys, we are talking about people in a social club sharing 1” pieces of coral with each other, not the nuclear launch codes. This is supposed to be fun and productive, not a new opportunity for gotchaism.

As I said above, we do not have club rules about this particular scenario. The Board has also been discussing DBTC rules behind the scenes and probably will further at our next meeting.

In general the rules for DBTC are that everyone in the chain tries to follow the rules as set forth by the originator, and the person giving any specific frag decides to whom to give it. We are all human and busy and can make mistakes in following someone else’s exact rules. Best to give people the benefit of the doubt, be thankful for the positives of the success of the chain, and move on.

This is great.
So just for fun let's run through the scenarios. You give generation 1 to person A. Person A has to grows it out and produces generation 2 and offers 2 frags to the chain. Now person B gets the frag from the chain from A.
What should B do with his 3rd gen frags? Follow your rules for distribution or follow person A's rules for distribution?
If you don't clearly spell out what the next step for person B, it would be confusing for him/her. I think that's what John was referring to.
I always just assumed that person A's rules applied all the way down all the generations, but I shouldn't assume anymore.
You are making things up. The rules don’t change. Everyone should follow them. Not sure why people all of a sudden think that the rules don’t apply at some point for some reason. That isn’t how it works.

You are making things up. The rules don’t change. Everyone should follow them. Not sure why people all of a sudden think that the rules don’t apply at some point for some reason. That isn’t how it works.
I'm just confused. I'm not trying to make things up. That's why I'm asking. Don't bite my head off here.
I just don't want to do the wrong thing and piss people off. Everyone seems so touchy these days. Any wrong move sets off a cascade of accusations.
I feel like I'm walking on egg shells.

Ok guys, we are talking about people in a social club sharing 1” pieces of coral with each other, not the nuclear launch codes. This is supposed to be fun and productive, not a new opportunity for gotchaism.

As I said above, we do not have club rules about this particular scenario. The Board has also been discussing DBTC rules behind the scenes and probably will further at our next meeting.

In general the rules for DBTC are that everyone in the chain tries to follow the rules as set forth by the originator, and the person giving any specific frag decides to whom to give it. We are all human and busy and can make mistakes in following someone else’s exact rules. Best to give people the benefit of the doubt, be thankful for the positives of the success of the chain, and move on.
Agree!:)

I'm just confused. I'm not trying to make things up. That's why I'm asking. Don't bite my head off here.
I just don't want to do the wrong thing and piss people off. Everyone seems so touchy these days. Any wrong move sets off a cascade of accusations.
I feel like I'm walking on egg shells.
Ok sorry. Just seems strange people all of a sudden think that rules somehow change or disappear.
Let’s keep it simple.
The rules get posted at the beginning by whoever starts the chain, and everyone does there best to follow them.

9/28/21 update
20210928_183834.jpg

@jhuynh hey there. My alk stays around 10.2-10.4. Just curious if I get a frag if I should slowly acclimate it to adjust to the alk. I’ve never acclimated corals usually I match temp and then put them in. But I’ve never really known parameters of the tank there coming from. So might as well try to accommodate new tank mates as best as possible.

@jhuynh hey there. My alk stays around 10.2-10.4. Just curious if I get a frag if I should slowly acclimate it to adjust to the alk. I’ve never acclimated corals usually I match temp and then put them in. But I’ve never really known parameters of the tank there coming from. So might as well try to accommodate new tank mates as best as possible.
Why so high?

I use Red Sea coral pro salt and it runs a little elevated then normal salts so I just keep it around there so no drops. But I was thinking about slowly trying to get it down to about 9.5-9.7 and try to keep it around there.

So I do 25 gallon water change every two weeks. The alk and cal are high in the salt mix so it keeps the level pretty consistent but higher then most other salt mixes. I dose alk only every 3 days, and cal every 5 days. So nut much use out of my dosing pump lol. I have a ton of coral and all growing great! They are all frags that were added in July.

Attachments

• 3C1192FA-EE33-4AF7-97E0-669B8F5C590B.png
    3C1192FA-EE33-4AF7-97E0-669B8F5C590B.png
    166.4 KB · Views: 129
Just to show some growth on the frags

Attachments

• 4387CA2C-CD2B-45B6-BBAE-EADBC3FB39C9.jpeg
    4387CA2C-CD2B-45B6-BBAE-EADBC3FB39C9.jpeg
    83.6 KB · Views: 142
  • 8DC849EB-ABF5-4190-82AD-4B5F7725FB91.jpeg
    8DC849EB-ABF5-4190-82AD-4B5F7725FB91.jpeg
    80.5 KB · Views: 148