Kessil

December 13th meeting featuring Mitch Carl

Our next general meeting will be held at The Aquarium Showroom on December 13th @ 1pm google maps link., the featured speaker will be Mitch Carl from Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo, he will be talking about his work with SECORE.

Sexual Coral Reproduction

Mitch Carl is Supervisor of the Aquarium at Omaha ’s Henry Doorly Zoo. He has been keeping corals for almost 15 years now and has been the main coral aquarist at the zoo’s aquarium for eleven. His latest project is in conjunction with SECORE (SExual COral REproductrion, www.secore.org). SECORE is a group made up of professional aquarists throughout the world with the goal of sexually propagating many different species of coral. The Omaha Zoo joined in 2004, and Mitch has been a part of all four SECORE workshops. Their greatest achievement comes from their work with the endangered Elkhorn Coral (Acropora palmata). This amazing coral has seen its numbers decreased by over 95% in the last 20 years. The last three years, SECORE has traveled to Rincon, Puerto Rico to collect egg bundles during the annual coral spawn. From these egg bundles the group has raised over 3000 colonies of Elkhorn . 99% of these were raised by Mitch at the Omaha Zoo, because he is awesome. Mitch will also go into detail about sexual reproduction in corals and what you can do at home (with the corals, the advice about the ladies will be over drinks).

You can read more about his efforts here http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2798&u_sid=10221850

Of course we will be having our always awesome raffle, so come one come all!

Mitch gives a great presentation, I'm so looking forward to this :) He's a rael down to earth guy.

BTW Jeremy, bring him some Oysters from you connect...he's only had them once of twice :D

[quote author=GreshamH link=topic=4959.msg61370#msg61370 date=1225313139]
Mitch gives a great presentation, I'm so looking forward to this :) He's a rael down to earth guy.

BTW Jeremy, bring him some Oysters from you connect...he's only had them once of twice :D
[/quote]

From just reading his quotes around on the interweb he seems like a funny guy too, that really helps out.

AFA oysters I'll see what's around, mebbie we can have a little party!

He has his first oyster in Denver at Jakes event. Now we need to show him the real deal :D

He's a riot (very funny!!)

Next meeting is the BOD meeting.. Nov 8th.. BAR members are welcome and encourage to go to the BOD meeting. I don't know if non-members are ok to come though.

that guys sounds really interesting i really want to make it to this meeting and finally introduce myself to all the fellow bar members. i was wondering if BART is anywhere near asap? or what do i take to get there. i would be coming from San Francisco.
thanks

[quote author=reef89 link=topic=4959.msg63079#msg63079 date=1226216875]
that guys sounds really interesting i really want to make it to this meeting and finally introduce myself to all the fellow bar members. i was wondering if BART is anywhere near asap? or what do i take to get there. i would be coming from San Francisco.
thanks
[/quote]

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Bart,+31640+Hayman+Street,+Hayward,+CA+94544&mrt=all&sll=37.613144,-122.049522&sspn=0.049429,0.109005&ie=UTF8&ll=37.61328,-122.045059&spn=0.047797,0.109005&t=h&z=14

Sorta in the area, but nothing within walking distance.

There are many of us that live in San Francisco and might be willing to give rides or carpool. PM me a week or so before the meeting.

C

[quote author=Mr. Ugly link=topic=4959.msg63618#msg63618 date=1226470919]
Deep fried lard patties :D
[/quote]

Say it in the native tongue :)

couple hours. Speaker usually takes an hour or so, plus the raffle and any other business.

Back