Reef nutrition

Dino and GHA at the same time?

I have been struggling with keeping Nitrate >0. Up to now, i am manually dosing nitrate maybe once or twice a month to bring from 0-->5, whenever i test. I just order yet another dosing pump, so i can automate the dosing. I think its my OCD to keep the tank clean. Its a bare bottom with high flow. Nothing really accumulate. Filter floss get changed out every 3-4 days. Phosphate is fine, in fact i have to use GFO to keep it ~0.04 ppm

By the way, what i have is not Dinos but Cyno. A friend come over and swear its Cyno. I had some chemiclean left over and did a dose yesterday. Sure enough, everything is clear up this morning.

Still my nutrition imbalance is an issue. Hopefully NItrate dosing will help.
More respiration is the answer. It’s constant addition of ammonia -> nitrate.
More fish. People say feed more, I don’t agree. Need more fish imo

Looked through your pictures....I only see like 2 or 3 small fish for a 65 G? If that's all that's there, definitely need more fish.
I have 5 fishes , Purple Tang, Neon Dottyback, 2 clowns, 1 damsel

I had 5 chromis, but rehome them since they get bullied by everyone in the tank. I am kinda stuck on adding fish. I would love to add more fish, like midas blenny, flame angel (maybe not reef safe?)

Or.. Scribbled Rabbitfish

My tank is only 65g. Is it too small for Rabbitfish and Tang to coexist?

Rabbits get too big for sure. It’s a tough situation with what you have. Ime most damsels are mean. I’ve seen neon dottybacks that are nightmare behavior wise more than once. And some clowns can be real territorial. I’ll think if anything comes to mind

I have 5 fishes , Purple Tang, Neon Dottyback, 2 clowns, 1 damsel

I had 5 chromis, but rehome them since they get bullied by everyone in the tank. I am kinda stuck on adding fish. I would love to add more fish, like midas blenny, flame angel (maybe not reef safe?)
Add springer damsels. You can do 3 and it'll look very full

I think I found the reason for thriving gha in my tank! Skylight! Gha growth intensity pick up a lot more in the past couple of months.

If you're still struggling with Dinos, there's an amazing thread on Reef2Reef that goes over it in detail, and everyone seems to settled on the same remedies (which is pretty surprising in itself).

First step:
1. Get a microscope
2. Post the photos and identify (lots of people will chime in and help)
3. Use the recommended way depending on the type.

The Osteropsis type is what I had, thank goodness, because it's incredibly easy to get rid of (UV). There's even recommended wattage and flow rates for it, though I just bought a cheapo Green Machine in a super high wattage UV bulb and stuck it in my display, and within days they were totally "gone." Once in awhile I see an uptick in them in my sand, but blasting them with the temporary UV works every time. I do have a 5watt UV hooked up, but the pump that feeds it from the sump has been dead, and I'm moving my tank anyway soon so I haven't gotten it back up. With a few months of just blasting with a UV, you can totally get rid of them easily.

The other types are a bit trickier, but it's all about identifying them first.

Back