Reef nutrition

DIY Wood Stand or Aluminum Stand?

MarcosDelgado0

Supporting Member
Has anyone ever built their own wood stand? I’m going to start a 48”x24” frag tank and it’s like impossible to find a stand for that tank locally so I’m considering either DIY or possibly ordering an aluminum extrusion stand. I’ve never built a stand but it looks simple enough in videos… Now the question, does it just look easy or is it actually fairly straight forward? Or should I just completely scrap that idea and order an aluminum stand?

Attachments

• IMG_8309.png
    IMG_8309.png
    79.4 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_8310.png
    IMG_8310.png
    183.9 KB · Views: 37
As long as the wood is straight, your cuts are straight, and your angles are 90* where they need to be, it's pretty easy. Most of the 2x4 stand plans out there are more than robust enough. If you don't mind the bulk of 2x4s and not going for looks, it's perfectly fine.

Last edited:
@Reefinglens If I may ask, where did you order your stand from? What kind of top did you use and did you seal it or anything to protect from water?
I got it from homedepot. It’s the gladiator 6’ workbench. It’s solid wood and already sealed with UV protective coating.
The 4foot models are on sale for memorial weekend.

Stands that I’ve built in the past I painted with exterior paint.

I’ve also used butcher block tops and sealed them with oil and 3 coats of Polycrylic.

I recently built out a 2x4 stand for my 75 gallon. If I were to go back and do it again, one suggestion I’d make is to spend time to make sure the wood you pick is as straight as possible. If you go to a lumber yard instead of Home Depot you may have a better selection to choose from. I’ve even heard some shops offer to plane the boards for a fee to remove any warps. I wound up adding a layer of self leveling epoxy resin to the top board to create a perfectly level surface for the tank, but could have omitted this step if I took a bit more time to pick my wood.

Overall, I’d definitely recommend building out your own stand if you are leaning that direction. It was a really rewarding project and allows room for customization. I’ve added in a shelf, mounted my light rack, and build out support for pvc drain/returns. Doors for the stand are still a WIP, but that is the next one on the list(girlfriend keeps reminding me of this one because “the sump is ugly” )

Attachments

• F8D7F011-25AB-45D0-92EA-E93D3BF07D82.jpeg
    F8D7F011-25AB-45D0-92EA-E93D3BF07D82.jpeg
    67.8 KB · Views: 42
  • A822BC45-510C-4931-AB05-ED8BA6006A93.jpeg
    A822BC45-510C-4931-AB05-ED8BA6006A93.jpeg
    92.9 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
I recently build out a 2x4 stand for my 75 gallon. If I were to go back and do it again, one suggestion I’d make is to spend time to make sure the wood you pick is as straight as possible. If you go to a lumber yard instead of Home Depot you may have a better selection to choose from. I’ve even heard some shops offer to plane the boards for a fee to remove any warps. I wound up adding a layer of self leveling epoxy resin to the top board to create a perfectly level surface for the tank, but could have omitted this step if I took a bit more time to pick my wood.

Overall, I’d definitely recommend building out your own stand if you are leaning that direction. It was a really rewarding project and allows room for customization. I’ve added in a shelf, mounted my light rack, and build out support for pvc drain/returns. Doors for the stand are still a wip, but that is the next one on the list(girlfriend keeps remind me of this one because “the sump is ugly” )
Wow that’s awesome!

I recently built out a 2x4 stand for my 75 gallon. If I were to go back and do it again, one suggestion I’d make is to spend time to make sure the wood you pick is as straight as possible. If you go to a lumber yard instead of Home Depot you may have a better selection to choose from. I’ve even heard some shops offer to plane the boards for a fee to remove any warps. I wound up adding a layer of self leveling epoxy resin to the top board to create a perfectly level surface for the tank, but could have omitted this step if I took a bit more time to pick my wood.

Overall, I’d definitely recommend building out your own stand if you are leaning that direction. It was a really rewarding project and allows room for customization. I’ve added in a shelf, mounted my light rack, and build out support for pvc drain/returns. Doors for the stand are still a WIP, but that is the next one on the list(girlfriend keeps reminding me of this one because “the sump is ugly” )
Welcome to the club! Would love to hear more about your tanks if you get a chance to post a tank journal. Those stands look really nice and match your room so well.

Back