Jestersix

Do my fish have ich?

Well if you want to hypo to kill ich go low 1.009 otherwise it's not effective for killing the parasite.

https://www.advancedaquarist.com/2007/6/fish. @ 12ppt where you shock the ich.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I always thought you need to be at 1.009 SG as well but someone convinced me that it's too low for marine fish, and that 1.015 ~ 1.012 was the best balance between stressing fish out and fighting ich. Guess that settles it with the write up...

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Though the photo is blurred, that clowns fins look like it has fin rot. And the blurring certainly hinders our ability to confirm ich. But it is possible that there is more than one disease in a system; because i too can’t help but think brooklynella when i seen the white patchiness (maybe) toward the tail.
Post your tank parameters including ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. And how long each fish has been in the system.

Descriptions sounds like Ich.
Picture looks like Brook and several other things, but too blurry to tell.
So ... ??

My suggestion:
Look/Google on line at detailed pictures of ich and brook.
Check ammonia.
Also, are they scratching objects, or breathing from surface?

I should mention doing nothing is a real option.
The time for doing something was really before hand, during QT, but it is too late.

Two key points:
  • Trying to cure a very sick fish puts a lot of extra stress on it, often killing it.
  • Even expert hobbyists have trouble diagnosing the specific disease. And treating the wrong thing is useless.

Fish do have an immune system. So they are trying to fight it off.
Maintain perfect water parameters. Feed well. Reduce all stresses.
Then just wait and see, and hope for the best.
The fish you have may do OK, as opposed to Tangs and such.

BUT: Remember that your tank is infested. So focus on coral for a while.

There is a difference of opinion on how long ich takes to truly disappear from a tank.
My opinion is about 6 months after you last see any hint of a problem. With zero new fish added.
Many say a year.
Definitely far longer than leaving a tank fallow with no fish.
Some say it is truly permanent. But there are enough counter cases to make that seem unlikely.

Back