Neptune Aquatics

Don't do what I did

0.45 ppm PO4 is in the range that I’d stop freaking out about it personally. Mine occasionally gets up that high if I’m not being careful with monitoring and maintenance. Of course when it happens organically it’s happening slowly (slow changes are less dangerous). But at that level I’d be comfortable to switch back to normal methods to reduce PO4 more gradually.

0.45 ppm PO4 is in the range that I’d stop freaking out about it personally. Mine occasionally gets up that high if I’m not being careful with monitoring and maintenance. Of course when it happens organically it’s happening slowly (slow changes are less dangerous). But at that level I’d be comfortable to switch back to normal methods to reduce PO4 more gradually.
After this mornings wc .22 . Hopefully by the time I get home the corals cheato and ats have taken up a good chunk

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: JVU
If you want to swing by San Pablo I can give you some nopox

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Thank you for the offer. Everything seemed fine when I left minus my alk being high at 10. I'm going to let it fall naturally then turn on my versa tomorrow via apex.

I wouldn’t just start randomly dosing NOPOX. That could bring on its own issues.

Good job getting it down, I’d still do another one.
If I was home I'd definitely do another but im gone till next Friday. Before I left it was 1.6. So the tank consumes about .6 in 12 hours

NOPOX works great in a situation like this with high but now not crazy PO4. You just have to make sure you have enough NO3 since it is used at the same time. You use up about 1 ppm NO3 per 0.1 ppm PO4. This is my preferred method when I need to reduce PO4: Use the full recommended dose of NOPOX, dose with NO3 if needed to keep above 0, with wet skimming and frequent testing. Very effective and doesn’t take long. All of which requires being around, which is why I didn’t suggest it up front since you said you were going out of town.

A few people have done this on reef2reef in the past couple months. A huge portion of the initial dose ends up binding into the rocks, so other than a brief surge it doesn't have the same impact as other parameters.
Don't do anything brash to avoid what might happen. As discussed already there are several ways to get it out over time, but this is not typically a tank crashing event the way a bottle of alk or runaway ATO can be.

Back