Neptune Aquatics

Drill Bit for Live Rock?

sfboarders said:
northbay-reefer said:
tuberider said:
Use fiberglass if you can, it stands the test of time.

Yeap, that is all I used, its much stronger and cheaper too.

Just got back from TP. The fiberglass is a lil bit more than acrylic. I ended up buying some acrylic.

Darn it they tried to ripped me off ?? LOL ... I still like fiber glass rod better, they handle the weight of the rocks better than acrylic for me because I used lace rock with my structure and they are heavy.

sfboarders said:
northbay-reefer said:
tuberider said:
Use fiberglass if you can, it stands the test of time.

Yeap, that is all I used, its much stronger and cheaper too.

Just got back from TP. The fiberglass is a lil bit more than acrylic. I ended up buying some acrylic.
How much more was the fiberglass? It may be worth it.

I would def. use fiberglass if I was putting lave rock together. that stuff is nearly as dense/heavy as lead :D

Hey All,

Thanks for all the responses, I jus picked up a 6 foot long 1/2" fiberglass rod at TAPS for $8. Acrylic was $5. I figured 3 more bux for a much stronger material was worth it. Now to go buy the drill bit.

Viet

Hehe, cause I'm broke. I only had $10 in my wallet and I bought a 1/2" and 3/8". If I bought the fiberglass it would have been more than $10. I didn't want to bust out the CC. :p

Acrylic can snap and break off when the structure is too heavy, fiberglass rod doesn't snap like acrylic does. Also sometime if the rocks get heavy on one side acrylic would bend and can be comes unstable.

After makin my first tower yesterday, I would have to say I'm glad I went with fiberglass. I don't even think I needed to go 1/2 inch because the fiberglass is super strong. 3/8 is definitely ok, 1/4" can work as well for fiberglass.

I ended up gettin a masonry bit (it was cheaper) that worked great. If anybody ever needs it, let me know.

VietNR1 said:
After makin my first tower yesterday, I would have to say I'm glad I went with fiberglass. I don't even think I needed to go 1/2 inch because the fiberglass is super strong. 3/8 is definitely ok, 1/4" can work as well for fiberglass.

I ended up gettin a masonry bit (it was cheaper) that worked great. If anybody ever needs it, let me know.

Hmm, maybe I'll exchange the acrylic for some 3/8" fiberglass then. Are you drilling the LR I gave you awhile back? :D

VietNR1, can you show us some photos of your first tower? I'm curious to see the results of your drilling, and might be inspired for my upgrade projects to create rock towers using fiberglass rods.

I should of smacked Jimmy (YelloJello) too then hahaha....

99sf, I'll try to get pictures for you tomorrow. My nems are running all over it.

tuberider said:
I usually use 3/8" as well, it's definitely strong enough, I smacked my buddy with a piece and if left a heck of a welt :D

so is he still your buddy? :D

I bought one rod and had enough to build structures for three reef tanks

Sorry for the long delay. After doing everything, using a 1/2 inch drill bit with 3/8 fiberglass rods was best for me. Please excuse the algae, I still have a lot of cleaning up to do

In the first shot (LTower) the middle tower looks like it's touching the formation on the right where the chalice is but it isn't. The piece that connects the center tower to the left formation can be removed and that will stand up on its own.

The second is my CARE system of Jason's Anemone Island. Copy and Replicate Everything...haha. It works so far they've ran around a lot but have yet to leave.

Last is a FTS. Sorry for the crappy pics, it was on my phone.

Attached files /attachments/sites/default/files/FTS_0.jpg /attachments/sites/default/files/LTower.jpg /attachments/sites/default/files/RTower.jpg

Back