High Tide Aquatics

DSLR Intro Workshop - Sunday Aug 16, 5:00 PM

Corallus

Supporting Member
Hey Everyone -

OK, we're doing this! I'll open with, I'm far from an expert on DSLR use, or photography in general, but I have been doing it for a long time and am comfortable explaining the basics to people who are not super familiar with full manual control of their camera. If you are an expert, please attend and help keep me honest!

I'll go over "What do all of those numbers mean, and more importantly how do they help me take better pictures?" In the spirit of understanding the theory of how something works will help you more effectively use it, here's a tentative outline of what I'll start with:
  • Exposure basics and the variables involved
    • Aperture (f stop)
    • Shutter speed
    • ISO or exposure compensation
  • Lenses - focal length, little more on aperture.
  • CMOS sensor basics (I'm no expert here...) and RAW vs jpeg file formats.
  • My shooting setup
  • Very basic post processing - I don't do a lot, but if you shoot raw, you'll want to do some.
This is meant to be a starting point, and I'm happy to change it based on what people think will be useful. I'll put together a slide deck, and incorporate as many examples of reef related photos as possible to hopefully make this relevant to the topic of taking good pictures of our tanks. Please post any thoughts or suggestions to this thread, and also post if you'd like to attend. This will be WebEx based, and @Squist will send links to join to those who are interested.

Have your camera handy for this so you can try out what we talk about in real time!

Hey Everyone -

OK, we're doing this! I'll open with, I'm far from an expert on DSLR use, or photography in general, but I have been doing it for a long time and am comfortable explaining the basics to people who are not super familiar with full manual control of their camera. If you are an expert, please attend and help keep me honest!

I'll go over "What do all of those numbers mean, and more importantly how do they help me take better pictures?" In the spirit of understanding the theory of how something works will help you more effectively use it, here's a tentative outline of what I'll start with:
  • Exposure basics and the variables involved
    • Aperture (f stop)
    • Shutter speed
    • ISO or exposure compensation
  • Lenses - focal length, little more on aperture.
  • CMOS sensor basics (I'm no expert here...) and RAW vs jpeg file formats.
  • My shooting setup
  • Very basic post processing - I don't do a lot, but if you shoot raw, you'll want to do some.
This is meant to be a starting point, and I'm happy to change it based on what people think will be useful. I'll put together a slide deck, and incorporate as many examples of reef related photos as possible to hopefully make this relevant to the topic of taking good pictures of our tanks. Please post any thoughts or suggestions to this thread, and also post if you'd like to attend. This will be WebEx based, and @Squist will send links to join to those who are interested.

Have your camera handy for this so you can try out what we talk about in real time!
I’m looking forward to this!

As someone interested in photography and coral photography, but without a DSLR - is it alright if I attend just to learn the basics?

And thank you so much for offering to do this and put it together!

We are also planning a second workshop more focused on phone camera reef photography. The topics Rolf is going to educate us on should be very useful for understanding the correlates in phone photography settings and apps.

Also I suspect some people might be inspired to get into (or more into) DSLR photography after learning more about it.

So the answer is yes!

Remember to confirm or post your interest in attending the DSLR Intro Workshop - Sunday Aug 16, 5:00 PM. Don't have a DSLR camera? The concepts and techniques @Corallus shares apply to manual mode smartphone photography apps too.

This is a web event. Access link will be shared the evening of Saturday Aug 15 with those who RSVP.

For all experience/skill levels. Supporting members and guests welcome.

RSVPs:
@Corallus - host
@JVU
@IOnceWasLegend
@Wlachnit
@ofzakaria
@Squist

Reply to RSVP.

Remember to confirm or post your interest in attending the DSLR Intro Workshop - Sunday Aug 16, 5:00 PM. Don't have a DSLR camera? The concepts and techniques @Corallus shares apply to manual mode smartphone photography apps too.

This is a web event. Access link will be shared the evening of Saturday Aug 15 with those who RSVP.

RSVPs:
@Corallus - host
@JVU
@IOnceWasLegend
@Wlachnit
@ofzakaria
@Squist

Reply to RSVP.
I'm down!

RSVPs:
@Corallus - host
@JVU
@IOnceWasLegend
@Wlachnit
@ofzakaria
@Squist

Reply to RSVP.

I'm interested in joining!

RSVPs:
@Corallus - host
@JVU
@IOnceWasLegend
@Wlachnit
@ofzakaria
@Squist

Reply to RSVP.
Please count 2manyhobbies in. I have 3 DSLR cameras and will make sure their batteries are charged up. This will really help with my other hobbies.

I'm in (but don't wait for me... I might need to watch the kids).

I don't have a DSLR. Are there any manual mode iOS apps you recommend that I can install beforehand?

Back