got ethical husbandry?

ECHO! Echo... echo... e... co...

I will probably put something together. I'll probably see if there are any volunteers to take certain areas, and take official entry photos to go into the vote.

I know we have a few good photographers that can cover most of the bay area if we collaborate.

I'll put together a thread soon.

[quote author=dzhuo link=topic=2203.msg21855#msg21855 date=1184043936]
isn't there used to be lots of group buy and such? how come i haven't seen one lately? or SF tank tour should be fun too :)
[/quote]

BAR sanctioned group buys? Not really. Club members have put them on themselves but since I've been involved I can't recall all that many group buys. Nicolas did some on his own for cleaner crews and there have been a few others like that, but BAR hasn't really done many (Spectrapure to name one).

[quote author=GreshamH link=topic=2203.msg21877#msg21877 date=1184176167]
[quote author=dzhuo link=topic=2203.msg21855#msg21855 date=1184043936]
isn't there used to be lots of group buy and such? how come i haven't seen one lately? or SF tank tour should be fun too :)
[/quote]

BAR sanctioned group buys? Not really. Club members have put them on themselves but since I've been involved I can't recall all that many group buys. Nicolas did some on his own for cleaner crews and there have been a few others like that, but BAR hasn't really done many (Spectrapure to name one).
[/quote]

no, i mean just a local group by, not BAR in particular. i am always interested in buying stuff but the shipping of corals is more expensive than the corals themselves. anyway, just a thought if anyone want to organize some sort of group by. :)

If you want to do a group buy on something, you can always just do it yourself. I am sure people will jump in, but FYI - it does take time and effort to organize these things.

[quote author=Apon link=topic=2203.msg21868#msg21868 date=1184099193]
Art, if you want to do a tank of the month ( which has been talked about before) go a head and start a thread on it : ) Lets see who would be interested. Maybe we could convince the BOD top throw in a little prize to spark interest. You should come by and help me take a full tank shot. : )
[/quote]

Let's run this past the BOD first ....

[quote author=capescuba link=topic=2203.msg21884#msg21884 date=1184179909]
[quote author=Apon link=topic=2203.msg21868#msg21868 date=1184099193]
Art, if you want to do a tank of the month ( which has been talked about before) go a head and start a thread on it : ) Lets see who would be interested. Maybe we could convince the BOD top throw in a little prize to spark interest. You should come by and help me take a full tank shot. : )
[/quote]

Let's run this past the BOD first ....
[/quote]

OH DARN, I spent so much time writing that post =(

[quote author=Apon link=topic=2203.msg21883#msg21883 date=1184179845]
If you want to do a group buy on something, you can always just do it yourself. I am sure people will jump in, but FYI - it does take time and effort to organize these things.
[/quote]

That's an understatement for sure. They're a nightmare and anyone that has run one will usually run from doing the next one :)

I am still around and kicking.. although I wasn't the most active participant when I did come here fairly often about a year ago or so... but I am still in the hobby and want to devote more time to it now that my wedding and reception and other huge consuming "things" are now in the rearview.. whew.

anyways.. lots of craziness at home taking up my tank time.. for months and months.. but now I am try to get re-focused on getting my tank dialed in.. I got a nasty case of cyano which I have been keeping at bay with syphoning during water changes but for months now this has been only a bandaid.. and a time consuming one at that.. I need to treat the root cause! So I am adding lots more flow, running some ferric oxide, a little carbon, fixing my skimmer (which has a bad impellar I think) and doing some more agressive cleaning with a turkey baster also (to get some of the detrius pockets cleaned up near the base of the LR).. the additional flow should hopefully keep that at bay better this time around.. my tank flow is MUCH improved.. now I just have to syphon that crap out and hope it doesn't come back..

I'm also thinking about buying an AquaC EV-120 skimmer to replace the EuroReef CS80 which I have now which just seems like it's barely getting the job done.. I am /hoping/ the new impellar improves peformance as I have a suspicion that the pump hasn't functioned 100% properly from day one.. it's extremely loud (makes a grinding noise at times) and sticks on start very often.. I have cleaned it with dilute distilled ch3cooh twice now and it STILL behaves the same way.. so anyways hoping the new impellar improves it, but who knows.. I've been holding back on stocking my tank more because of lack of time to put into the hobby and then the cyano issues.. gah! I hate that crap.. anyways.. I think I will need a bigger skimmer but will wait and see how the CS80 performs with the new part.

ok, well... just rambling now.. maybe this was not the best place for this post, but seemed a good a place as any. I basically just wanted to chime back in here at BAR because I don't have any other reef keeping friends and it's kind of lonely in the hobby to not have other enthusiasts to chat with.. like locals. :) Once I get my cyano under control I will post some pics of my tank..

[quote author=tiburon link=topic=2203.msg21930#msg21930 date=1184271337]
... but I am still in the hobby and want to devote more time to it now that my wedding and reception and other huge consuming "things" are now in the rearview.. whew.

[/quote]

Congrats!

Thanks.. I'm just sort of getting out of the frantic mode and back into "normal life".. whatever that means. ;-) I'm hell bent on getting my tank looking better also.. I so didn't plan the flow right.. for the amount of LR I have. I am thinking about picking up one more pump.. a tunze nanostream 6025 to polish off the water movement behind my LR stucture..

edit: I have about 150lbs of LR in this 85 (it's 36x18x30) (so not too wide and pretty tall)

I'm still around! Life has just been busy lately, and I've had a bunch of my SPS take a dive on me (gradual loss of PE, color, STN from the tips), so I'm trying to figure out what's gone wrong, and as a result, not actively been buying stuff. :)

On the other hand, my anthelia is doing great! It grows like a weed - I hate it. :p

Back