Jestersix

Edible and nutritious Eggs?!!?

No "attractants" used actually, it's the process used to make it that allows the "smells" to remain.

Ibn said:
Thanks, Matt. I'm just happy that both are alive. If the smaller one would switch over to pellets, that would really make my day.

I've been really impressed with how far the quality of food has improved over the years. I've always dreamt of keeping tukas and ventralis (also flavoguttatis after seeing them online recently), but have avoided them due to their track record. The article that you wrote (Matt) turned the vision into a possibility and plausible endeavor.

The attractant in the otohime is extremely strong (from the way it smells and the fish response) and did the trick.

I'm glad it helped you out. So, to clarify, have the tukas started eating the capelin eggs?

Easy way to get the ventralis really really fat right away is to go collect some live mysis from Lake Merced. Boy, they love 'em, and the mysis are very easy to gut load.

Nope, no go on the capelin eggs from either of them. They mouth them, but then end up spitting it out. The smaller tuka is really sensitive with the size of the food and the capelins are bigger than the size it likes. It prefers smaller food such as rotifers and the ova instead.

I wasn't aware that Lake Merced was polluted...is it? It is very green, but that's a good thing for mysis. They eat stuff that eats phytoplankton. I mean, look at the lakes where brine shrimp is harvested...

I just did some reading on it and Lake Merced doesn't sound all that polluted. The phyto die off and low DO that comes with that may make people think it's polluted. Everything I just read was late 90's early 00 though. It also sounds like the City needs to allow more flow to it.

Now that I can get behind. There are plenty of unpolluted lakes I wouldn't swim in due to natural stuff like bacteria, algae, etc.

GreshamH said:
A is basically a rotifer "replacement". Want me to send some C1/C2 & S1/S2? Feel free to email about this stuff Matt, we're always looking for opinions on this stuff from you guys.
My foxface (finally) loves the Otohime. Despite being big for him (EP-2), so does my royal gamma. My clown tries but it is too big for him. I'm going to have to buy the smaller stuff soon :-D

Tonys back.... we missed you at the meeting :)

EP-2 is huge... I can see how it would be too large for the clown.

It is huge, and I have no idea how the royal gramma chows down on 5-6 of them! I feed a wide range of food and sizes at once and he goes for those monstrosities!

I missed the meeting :( I really wish I could have gone, but I was soaking up the rays in Mexico! I'll be there at BAYMAC though!!!

It would be a special order item for the store and I think they can only get the multi kilo bags or the sample pack. Reed-Store is the best way. Just do it GROUND, no need for overnight as GROUND is overnight so close by.

Back