Cali Kid Corals

Entering the Hobby

Jeff - Order Dr Tims Nutrifying Bacteria ( hopefully spelled that right ) The old days of cycling are gone. This stuff works in 48 hours. I did my 300 and added fish 2 days later , but only add 1 at a time. 1 48 hours later then another 1 week later etc. Also get yourself a qt tank ( most use a 20L ) and put all fish in there before your main tank. Nothing worse than adding that last fish that is carry some disease and it wipes them all out[/QUOTE

I saw a video from BRS last night that suggests a quick freshwater dip before adding new fish...thoughts?

Freshwater dips are basically useless, along the same lines of washing your hands using only water and not soap, the water might shock off some parasites if the fish has them but wont get them all, and it has the downside of stressing your fish too. Note, I am not telling you to use soap and water to treat fish :)

may have already replied, or tried to any way. i was watching the BRS videos and they suggest a freshwater quick dip before adding new fish...thoughts?

since we are the only ones up, and I'm a rookie...

Two tanks to chose from, standard 55 gallon from peptic ($1/gallon today) or a 65 gallon aqueon that's tall and only 36 inches wide. I love that footprint, but i've read the deep tanks are difficult in some regards. Looking for fish only for a while until established, then really want a dynamite reef tank

which one would you recommend?

I suggest looking at CL for some really good deals.

What approximate size are you looking for? Glass or acrylic?

Eg, there is a 75g reef ready with stand for $175 on CL right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The thought behind a deep tank is so that you can reach the bottom of it with out going for a swim. I don't know how many times I've had to reach in to get something off the sand bed. They do make tongs but sometimes you just need that added dexterity of phalanges. Therefore many people will say not to get a tank that is deeper than 24".

I personally don't care for deep tanks. Most fish swim side to side versus up and down. I found my tank used and love it. New tanks are nice as some come with life time guarentees.

I have a hang on the back over flow if u want it it's free so u can run a sump. But personally I do not have a sump and I have a lot of coral and everything is happy and healthy. But my filtration is a bit overkill. 55gallon tank I have two petsmart hang on the back filters each filter is rated for 75 gallon tank I have a hang on the back skimmer that is rated for 30 gallon tank and I have a home made 2 gallon canister filter. My secret to success so far is using teddy bear stuffing with all my filters. Canister has 4 inches of teddy bear stuffing and that hang on the back filters don't get carbon like they're intended to have I replaced the carbon with teddy bear stuffing and I use a bunch of live rock in my tank. And I don't know if it helps. But I have an extra 55gallon tank u can have free as well if u want. There is a hole drilling in the middle for over flow and one on the side for return or I have a 55g with no holes at all

may have already replied, or tried to any way. i was watching the BRS videos and they suggest a freshwater quick dip before adding new fish...thoughts?
That is more of a "bare minimum" thing.

If you do not want to go with a full quarantine tank, look up the "Tank transfer method for ich"
And then simply use normal buckets.
Very good at stopping ich, easy, and cheap.

Ok first a 65g tank is never going to be "tall" unless it has a 24x12" foot print.

That said, trust me with this, and go with the 65g tank, the 55g tanks are typically super duper thin, they make great display tanks in a fish store, but they make horrible tanks to do anything in, got a 6" wide rock (which isn't very big) whoops, there's half the width of the tank, hope you don't need to clean the glass to well on one of the sides. 36" x 18" x 21" is a decent beginner tank, yeah it's not the longest but you're not going to be putting any tangs in it anyways, and you'll appreciate the front to back depth way more than the 48" length of the 55g.

Although the 65g tanks I don't believe are in the $1/gallon sale. Honestly if the height bugs you go with a 40B tank, they have the same footprint just not as tall, and are really a great ratio of sizes for a smaller/beginner tank.

I have a hang on the back over flow if u want it it's free so u can run a sump. But personally I do not have a sump and I have a lot of coral and everything is happy and healthy. But my filtration is a bit overkill. 55gallon tank I have two petsmart hang on the back filters each filter is rated for 75 gallon tank I have a hang on the back skimmer that is rated for 30 gallon tank and I have a home made 2 gallon canister filter. My secret to success so far is using teddy bear stuffing with all my filters. Canister has 4 inches of teddy bear stuffing and that hang on the back filters don't get carbon like they're intended to have I replaced the carbon with teddy bear stuffing and I use a bunch of live rock in my tank. And I don't know if it helps. But I have an extra 55gallon tank u can have free as well if u want. There is a hole drilling in the middle for over flow and one on the side for return or I have a 55g with no holes at all

Hi Travis, are you near SF? I'clove to see your tank you offered. I can come by today

I think the store is called Lucky Ocean. There are folks in SF - search SF tank tour to see some past events we did.

Just became a supporting member. I've already received millions of dollars in advice. So glad I found this forum. Ran into a cat at Lucky Ocean last week and he told me about this. You know who you are...Salmon fisherman just returned from Alaska.

Back