Reef nutrition

Euphyllia's 34 Gallon Red Sea Max

Would transferring my pom-pom crabs from the 14g into the 34g be OK since they would be in a tank with anemones? They don't have any Pom-Poms so I'm worried they might take clippings of the anemones and injure them.

Wow... the last post in this was like 8 months ago... I fail at keeping this updated... :(
Anyways... I guess I should start again. After reading all 11 pages of this I realize how ignorant and stupid I acted when I entered the hobby... I hope I'm not as bad now... :bigsmile:
Anyways... here's a picture of the tank currently! :)
I know it looks bad... but I fixed it up where it looks less crowded and you can now see everything! :D

Attached files /attachments/sites/default/files/IMG_2494_0.JPG

Freshly hatched? Please explain :) Did you get cysts? You talking artemia?

No, I mean freshly hatched. I looked over at my tank after the lights had been off for 3 hours and I saw the fish "eating" water. I was curious so I went over there and turned the pumps off and there were hundreds of tiny copepods or something floating in the water while my fish were rapidly eating them up. There were lots of them coming out from a hole under a rock. I'm pretty sure they were copepods.

Euphyllia said:
No, I mean freshly hatched. I looked over at my tank after the lights had been off for 3 hours and I saw the fish "eating" water. I was curious so I went over there and turned the pumps off and there were hundreds of tiny copepods or something floating in the water while my fish were rapidly eating them up. There were lots of them coming out from a hole under a rock. I'm pretty sure they were copepods.

And how did you arrive at they were freshly hatched? I work with copepods in my job and I can't tell the difference between a copepidite that just hatched and one that is a week old. They don't hatch in batches Matthew. The females carry around eggs until they hatch and it's doubtful you have a a bunch on the same cycle. Most likely they are just copepods, not freshly hatched, but normal size.

You say things as if they are a fact... then follow them up later with
Euphyllia said:
I'm pretty sure they were copepods.

so it's an assumption, not a fact!

Assumption is correct. They were much smaller than copepods which is why I thought they may be freshly hatched copepods. If they aren't copepods what do you think they were?

Euphyllia said:
Assumption is correct. They were much smaller than copepods which is why I thought they may be freshly hatched copepods. If they aren't copepods what do you think they were?

You do know they range from like 10µl to like 2000µl depending on species? Do you know what 10µl looks like? can you even see 10µl?

with ~10,000 species of copepods it's doubtful you've even seen 9,990 of them ;)

Back