High Tide Aquatics

Felicia's 30 Gallon Seahorse Tank - Seahorses have arrived!!!

The newest pony has arrived!!! She showed up just after 10 am like my USPS deliveries always do. The box was in perfect shape and was handed to me gently and right side up. I am so glad I had another successful seahorse shipping experience. She seems to be doing well and doesn't see too stressed by things. I've got her acclimating right now and she's just hanging out on the hitch that was included in the bag checking out everything around her. I have the lights on the tank out and the light in my room dimmed to keep from shocking her since she was in a dark box for a day, so I can't see her coloring that well, but even in the dim light she looks pretty vibrant. Such a pretty little thing! Here she is:

photo16.jpg

Btw, her name is going to be Valencia (Val for short) after the variety of Florida oranges, since she's orange and came from Florida
smile.png

I've got some new photos for you guys, but first I've finally settled on all the seahorses' names. Here they are:

SeahorseNames.png

Ok, now for some new photos!

They really love that red tree sponge
smile.png

IMG_4543Edit.jpg

IMG_4545Edit.jpg

Pixie is being a loner. You can see her up on top of the tonga rock in the background.

IMG_4571.jpg

Misty and the Grube's gorgonian.

IMG_4554Edit.jpg

Spiral wire (and a cyano-covered misty)

IMG_4526Edit.jpg

View of one side of the jawfish burrow. You can see the tail of the other jawfish.

IMG_4509Edit.jpg

View of the other side of the burrow.

IMG_4512Edit.jpg

I'm a tad bit concerned that Val may have a case of popeye. Maybe she's just small, but her eyes look too big for her head. I can't tell for sure. I googled popeye in seahorses and they can get it from stress, so if she does have it, it could be from shipping and should clear up as she gets settled in.

Val ate last night and again this morning, so she seems to be settling in and doing well. :) For some reason she looks yellow in the photos but she's definitely orange in person. She's a bit faded from shipping, but she's a nice pastel orange right now and she already appears to be brightening back up.

I've got some new photos for you guys from last night around feeding time.

Misty and Pixie being cute.
IMG_4576Edit.jpg

IMG_4578Edit.jpg

Pixie and Trixie
IMG_4602Edit.jpg

Not the best photo, but you can see all four ponies
smile.png

IMG_4609Edit.jpg

Mushrooms
smile.png
And yicky cyano. I'm ready for the reactors to make it go away!
IMG_4588Edit.jpg

Awesome! BTW, what kind of fish are Bonnie and Clyde? They are very shy, aren't they? But it was cool that Clyde(?) dashed out for a sec.

Thanks! Bonnie and Clyde are a mated pair of yellowhead jawfish. They actually aren't particularly shy. They do dart in and out of their burrow, but they will also come right up to the tweezers during feeding and steal shrimp I am giving to the seahorses. Once they got settled in, they're pretty outgoing but they do stay at their burrow and just dart out for short times.

I love having seahorses! They are an endless source of adorable amusement. I just finished the bedtime feeding a bit ago and Val was up to shenanigans
smile.png

IMG_5098Edit.jpg

Notice her tail is wrapped around Trixie's neck. This is where Val hung out during the entire feeding. It was funny because Trixie just didn't care are all and just kept snicking up her shrimp like she didn't have a seahorse wrapped around her neck.
IMG_5106Edit.jpg

IMG_5101Edit.jpg

After I finished feeding, Val was the first brave seahorse to try out the new neon hitching post.
IMG_5108Edit.jpg

Felicia do you ever frag your gorgs? what is the big yellowish one on the left on the sand? where did you get it, and if you ever frag it let me know.

Felicia do you ever frag your gorgs? what is the big yellowish one on the left on the sand? where did you get it, and if you ever frag it let me know.
I have not fragged any of them yet since I've only had them for a few months and I want to wait for them to fill in the tank more. They're supposed to be very easy to frag, but I won't be fragging them for a while. The one you asked about is a yellow sea whip. It along with several of the others and all of my sponges are from KP Aquatics (sealifeinc.net). Their prices are really reasonable and you get nice big gorgonians. They also tend to throw in nice freebies with each order. I've ordered from them quite a few times now and they're a great online company. Here's the link to the yellow sea whip:
http://sealifeinc.net/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=79
That is for one the size of mine and its only $13.50.

I have not fragged any of them yet since I've only had them for a few months and I want to wait for them to fill in the tank more. They're supposed to be very easy to frag, but I won't be fragging them for a while. The one you asked about is a yellow sea whip. It along with several of the others and all of my sponges are from KP Aquatics (sealifeinc.net). Their prices are really reasonable and you get nice big gorgonians. They also tend to throw in nice freebies with each order. I've ordered from them quite a few times now and they're a great online company. Here's the link to the yellow sea whip:
http://sealifeinc.net/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=79
That is for one the size of mine and its only $13.50.

Ok thanks for the info, that is a great price. I have fragged my gorgs before and its pretty easy, just attaching it to a rock can be tricky. You need to cut off some flesh and expose the branch base to glue that in.

Back