Few Quick Questions ...

Discussion in 'Other Reef Talk' started by capescuba, Dec 2, 2017.

1. capescuba

capescuba Supporting Member

For a 120g with up to 100g sump, how big a heater should I be considering - out in Dublin, East Bay.

Also - How much Live Sand should I consider for the 120??

Thanks!

2. Vhuang168

Vhuang168 Supporting Member

Depends on how big the temp differential is between ambient temperature and the tank water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Bruce Spiegelman

Bruce Spiegelman BOD

I'd go with two 300w heaters minimum. I think that two heaters are always a necessity if you want stability especially if you'll be running an Apex or similar. I just set-up a 93 gallon and used 100 pounds of sand. If you want a deeper sand bed you'll need more. I started with 60 pounds and realized that with flow I was getting bare spots in multiple places. I'll probably add another 20 shortly because it's still a little bare in places and the wrasses bitch at me.

I run two 250's in each of my tanks. One is a 120 with no sump and the other is a 93 gallon with 30 gallon sump.

capescuba likes this.
  4. Gablami

Gablami Supporting Member

I agree with the recommendation of 2 heaters, one as backup, but I think that 2 300w heaters is too much. I have a 100 and a 150w in my 150g system. I had higher wattage heaters prior and it results in a lot of on/off cycles for the heater, or for your apex. If you get a lower powered heater it won’t cycle as much, causing wear and tear. You can then have a higher wattage backup turn on if the lower power heater can’t keep up with the temp drop.

capescuba likes this.
  5. capescuba

Thank you! I like the 2x heaters, one as a backup. Sounds like ~ 120lb of sand should do it then - How deep is your bed @Bruce Spiegelman ?

I'm guessing Apex is a chiller? I will be getting an Artica Titanium

6. Bruce Spiegelman

Bruce Spiegelman BOD

Two inches roughly. Apex is a controller for equipment.

7. capescuba

Holy cow that stuff's not cheap :eek: Most people are using this nowadays instead of manually doing it?

8. Bruce Spiegelman

Bruce Spiegelman BOD

I'd wager that more people in the club use an Apex or similar (on every tank) than don't by far. I use mine for many things (far less than folks like Vincent), but I think I could make a pretty good case they are worth almost for temperature control alone. When absolute stability is important then automation is key. And frankly, considering the overall expense of this hobby, a controller is cheap considering the money and headaches it will save you. You can find a good used Apex Jr or similar for as low as $150.00.

9. tankguy

tankguy BOD

I use 2 heaters for both my 225 and 180 during the winter

10. RandyC

RandyC Supporting Member

If you're not looking to spend that kind of money, but looking for a way to make sure that you heater doesn't get stuck "on" and boil your livestock, you could get a Ranco temperature controller. I used that myself prior to getting an Apex and it worked great.

https://smile.amazon.com/RANCO-ETC-111000-Digital-Temperature-Control/dp/B0015NV5BE

Note: It does require some wiring.

capescuba likes this.
  11. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

Depends upon the heaters though, if they have the bimetallic strips then absolutely use a controller to turn them on/off, but if you're getting titanium heaters those do not have bimetallic strips (usually)

12. Vhuang168

Does that have the water proof sensor or so you still have to seal it yourself?

13. RandyC

RandyC Supporting Member

I sealed it. Used heat shrink and then sealed the ends with silicon.

14. scuzy

scuzy Supporting Member

Seal it yourself I believe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

15. scuzy

scuzy Supporting Member

Btw you can buy Edgar's apex he's got a classic for sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

16. Kim Pattison

Kim Pattison Supporting Member

The Apex is one of my required pieces of equipment. Temperature monitor, leak monitor, overflow monitor, lighting timer and controller and just simply being able to shut down or turn on a piece of equipment without having to crawl around looking for the right electrical plug to pull or push. The peace of mind that if water gets some place it is not supposed to be with float switches and leak detectors having the pump automatically shut down and the alarm go off or temperature outside of parameters a text message from my aquarium.

kinetic and capescuba like this.
  17. sfsuphysics

seems everyone has classic Apexs for sale, not sure if it's just a normal progression of people leaving the hobby, or people wanting to jump in on the new version so they can use the alk/Ca/mag monitor dohicky in the future and want to get in before the market is flooded.

18. capescuba

Mike - do you use a controller?

19. Vhuang168

I think both scenarios are represented. Especially since there was a discount during Black Friday.

20. sfsuphysics

I do. Mostly because I have titanium heaters. But my current one is plugged into my controller because it has no controller natively, of course it's a 1000W heater that I'm going to be replacing with smaller ones.