Kessil

Filter Media Cup to Replace Socks

For those with out a carbon rector, does the filter cup make the water more clear than the carbon just in the sump? On my past setup I used a reactor whcih worked well, now with a smaller tank, under the stand space is more a challenge and been running the media passively. I have not been happy with the performance so far (doesn’t really pull out the yellowing like a reactor)

For those with out a carbon rector, does the filter cup make the water more clear than the carbon just in the sump? On my past setup I used a reactor whcih worked well, now with a smaller tank, under the stand space is more a challenge and been running the media passively. I have not been happy with the performance so far (doesn’t really pull out the yellowing like a reactor)
I'm no expert on the subject, but I do feel that if you add some kind of filter floss on top of the carbon you may have better results. Before I picked up the filter media cup I was running two 200 micron filter socks and they get really dirty. I'm still going to use 1 filter sock and the 2nd stage I can use carbon in a media bag with filter floss on top or coral rubble with the filter floss on top. So, I think it helps. I believe the protein skimmer also helps clear thing up. I'm not using any carbon media at all in my sump.

I forgot to mention the water changes also help.

Yup, that’s the plan. No real science behind this - just figure the rubble will quiet the water.
That was my initial motivation: a noise dampener. Works great. Sticking the return line of a UV sterilizer into the filter cup did the trick even at hundreds of gph. I’ve recently pulled the sterilizer but kept the cups doing their thing.

Back