Cali Kid Corals

First Tank!

Update!

Hi guys,
I took an idea from Bruce and decided to change up my anemone box. I like doing everything my self so bought some acrylic and silicone and make a box my self. Let me know what you guys think.

f5ad2b1b47584c7b6ac2c5dd0827f740.jpg

4fe489b1124d9a07b4702f1bb19aba02.jpg

28bfc764ec4dc0c176ae66c902c98dbf.jpg

ba9ab2753f7d0af5cac1143654d5f1a2.jpg

P.s. It was a pain in the a** I broke the acrylic a few times pressing to hard while drilling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks good, but why are you keeping your anemone boxed up? Better to let it roam and pick a spot before you have more coral for it to damage during roaming.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

i plan to eventually and bruce has been a wonderful teacher. helping me when ever i have questions.

also did some testing for my spreadsheet updating. ill share with you guys =]

Water Tests - 2/7/18
salt - 1.025
temp - 75
nitrate - 0
ph - 8
alk - 7.6
calcium - 420
mag - 1240
phosphate - .022ppm

thanks for following along guys and gals!

Just so you know, silicone doesn’t bond well to acrylic (or almost any plastic). For acrylic seams use weld-on. It’s a solvent that melts the plastic together. It can be tricky to use though.

@scuzy and @Flagg37 got both points I was going to mention.

Acrylic solvent, and the nem won’t stay in that box. The box will need to break the surface of the water if you want to keep it in there.

Yep! Learned the hard way. Woke up this morning and it has escaped. Was maybe 1/8th of an inch below the water service and it slipped on out.

But thanks for telling me about that stuff never knew it. When I get home I will inspect the box and see how well it is holding up.

Will the silicone or acrylic have any negative effects on the anemone? It is supposed to be for fish tanks but if it will make the anemone want to get out. Something must be bothering it.

If the silicon is labelled Aquarium safe, it's fine. If it's not, make sure it doesn't have any mold inhibitors in it.

If you're keeping it so close to the surface and have enough light that will grow acros, that's more likely the cause. Also, BTAs love having their foot inside a cervice, it's probably looking for one if it's not the light that's bothering it.

BTAs also just like to wander....even if they've been happy in a spot for six months.

Last edited:
I have all of my anemoens on a rock island separated from everything else. every once in a while one of them goes on the move. I usually can catch it before they reach the main rockwork, like when they are on the back wall, and put it back, but sometimes they reach it then its a PIA to remove depending on where they put their foot

Yeah they were at 10-20 the last few tests. I'm guessing I either did the test wrong(being in a rush) or the cheato ate up the nitrates. Either way I'll be doing a new test tonight after noticing a new result.

All my tests are the Red Sea test kit except the Hanna ultra low phosphate.

A similar approach is to leave the skimmer off for a couple/few hours after feeding to allow the corals to use the nutrients. I have mine set to be off for 2 hours but you could do longer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Back